Promised Land State Park

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
DD- and I went camping with a group of friends to Promised Land State Park in Pennsylvania. Like usual, we brought our mountain bikes with us.

While the overall camping trip was a blast, the riding there completely sucks. If you are even the slight be curious and thinking of checking it out, do not waste your gas or time.

The legal trails there for mountain biking consist of dirt roads with 3/4" Quarry Process along with some grass covered sloppy crappy mud trails next to swamps. These trails are actually located in the Delaware State Forest section (adjacent to Promised Land).

I don't understand the land managers in PA -- they tend to put the mountain bikers on the same trails that snowmobiles (and ATVs) can go. :confused:

The trails that are most like the stuff that we actually ride is, of course, restricted to hiking only. Those trails are located in the Bruce Lake Natural Area. Even those were covered in dead fall.

Well, anyway, don't waste your time. Those trails blow big time. Camping was good, though -- bring the kayaks.

syadasti

Wet Rag
Just in the wrong part of PA, its a big state with a lot to offer. Carbondale has Merli Sarnoski Park (one of my favorite technical trail systems anywhere) and Prompton Dam - both awesome day trips. I've heard MMP is good they have 8 miles already and are supposed to bring it to 16 miles - I think its one of the first times the nature conservatory let mountain bikers build trails on one of their properties.

Its true that Jim Thorpe was ruined when they closed the good trails like American Standard and the long standing festival out there died off years ago. I forget the name of the town nearby where they have MTB races, but its a pretty good time there.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Just in the wrong part of PA, its a big state with a lot to offer.

I hear you. We are going to that Raystown Lake openning next month and we are looking forward to that. I just wanted to save people some time if they were considering going up there to ride for the day.

syadasti

Wet Rag
Yeah I convinced four of my friends from Central NY to sign up for that so far. Terrain sounds non-technical like the Kingdom Trails but maybe better since its purpose built for MTBs. I've been to the Kingdom Trails before and they are decent but if I'm going to VT I much prefer Stowe and Waterbury.

mtn

There are a few good trails in Promised Land. You just have to look around a bit. They are not maintained well though.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
There are a few good trails in Promised Land. You just have to look around a bit. They are not maintained well though.

Yeah, but my point is that it really is not worth the drive from NJ. Besides from what I have heard, the good trails are not legal mountain bike trails -- they are the hiking only trails in the natural areas (which had tons of deadfall on them).

I just want to save someone a trip out there in case someone was thinking of taking the drive and trying it.

Top Bottom