Profile BMX...whole or in parts

wonderturtle

I'll put more specifics and pic up later but this is the gist...

Profile frame and fork
Mongoose rims (came on the Mongoose Californian...the rims with the holes)
GT hubs
DK stem
GT seat post clamp
Uni seatpost/seat (graphite)
Sugino cranks

parts are color-coordinated to match Profile logo - e.g, red, yellow, blue. wheels have red spokes to match color combo.

the frame and fork, in particular, might be worth something. the Mongoose rims as well.

will sell whole or in parts. all parts have wear and tear but are in decent shape as far as I know.

looking to unload so any reasonable offers will be considered.

any interest?

the bike in the attached picture is not mine (found online) but interestingly has the same combination of a Profile frame/fork with the Mongoose rims. also appears to have the same Dia-Compe brakes in the same color blue (weird coincidence)

Attachments

• post-99-1228901950_thumb.jpg
    post-99-1228901950_thumb.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

The Kalmyk

Mark those are Pro Class rims and they are sought after by collectors... The big draw to them was the drilled out holes made them a lighter rim with out significant strength lose... I have a pair on my California which I still have from my 9th birthday... This bike is fucking awesome ... I would seriously due some research and get your money's worth... You should have no problem selling it

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=15006

By chance are you sure the cranks are not Profile?

Last edited:

wonderturtle

Spencer - you are right. I have been told by two separate friends that this thing is worth something. the first time I tried to sell it was at my garage sale and my neighbor from across the street (who used to work in a bikeshop) walked over and demanded that I not sell it that way. "put that thing back in your garage!!"

thing is, my bike is totally custom - built part-by-part over several years...paper route $. people who buy old school BMX bikes want the original (e.g., a Mongoose California with all original parts and in mint condition could be worth hundreds if not over a thousand?). so I think this bike is worth more if sold in parts.

The Kalmyk

Truth is that real bmxer back then always had different parts on their frame... For example bear trap pedals and bullseye three piece cranks... I was a regular at M&D Bike shop in Flemington and that was how they like to do things... They were one of the few shops back then that would sell frames... I always wanted an ELF but the parents saw no sense in a $300 frame...lol

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And if you don't mind the hassle of parting it out and the fees,
a lot of vintage bmx inventory moves on e-bay.
Just sold off my Hutch Trickstar f/f and got great response.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I have a customer that restores and collects oldskool BMX bikes, I'm sure he'd be more than interested. I'll give him a holler in the morning.

-Jim.

Mike679

Truth is that real bmxer back then always had different parts on their frame... For example bear trap pedals and bullseye three piece cranks... I was a regular at M&D Bike shop in Flemington and that was how they like to do things... They were one of the few shops back then that would sell frames... I always wanted an ELF but the parents saw no sense in a $300 frame...lol

M & D Bike Shop...that place ruled. If I recall it was like a 10' x 15' room in a building behind Flemington Furs. Got my GT Pro frame and Haro leathers there.

The Kalmyk

Wow I am surprised someone on here remembers it and indeed it was right across the street from FF... It stood for Mark & Dad... Mark Bachardy had the sickest BMX build(s) on the planet... At least I thought so as a young kid

don

Is your bike/frame a 24" cruiser or a 20"? If its a cruiser like the pic I would be very interested. I raced a Profile for cruiser class bitd and held onto it for a long time before trading it for some parts in the late 90s. I actually used it to get back into riding djs and skatepark back in '96.

wonderturtle

It is 20". didnt notice until now that the pic is a cruiser. same frame design (with cross bar).

I try to get pics up this evening.

cruiser = the 29er of bmx bikes ;)

don

It is 20". didnt notice until now that the pic is a cruiser. same frame design (with cross bar).

I try to get pics up this evening.

cruiser = the 29er of bmx bikes ;)

If you do get pics I'd love to see them. The Profile 20" was a lot like the Hutch which I rode in Expert class.

I was looking back at your build and I had my bikes set up pretty similiarly - dk stems and the UNI seat and post setup. I had Mongoose rims at one point and GT hubs on another bike.

to add - yeah the cruiser was the 29er of bmx bikes - big wheels and low bb height. Some of them rode like battleships - but the Profile was one of the snappier of them.

Last edited:

Chris(NJ)

haha, brings back memories! I had an ELF that I bought from CBS before going full on TNT bikes.

Top Bottom