Profesional bike fit?

RyanW

Just curious if anyone has had a pro fit on a mountain bike? I've been riding for a couple of years, Cannondale Jekyll full suspension. Wondering if a good bike fitting makes a big difference? I'm not uncomfortable on the bike but for all i know i'm way off.

On another note, i'm vertically challenged at 5'7" but I keep hearing about these 29ers. Are these bikes getting any better for us shorter folk? I'm getting a slight itch to try out a good hardtail both 26 and 29inch. I've been following the supah fly thread, the GF bikes look pretty sweet.

Great site you have here, used to be part of the Franklin Park yahoo group but never made it out for a run.

dualfisted

Warning Warning Warning Warning

BEWARE!!! You just opened a can of worms my friend. This place is full of people who push 29'ers and SS's down your throat like a man giving his dog a pill he doesn't want to swallow. This forum is so big on 29'ers, you'd think there was nothing else to ride. So, beware what you ask in these parts my friend. Also, I think there's a "29'er, is it real thread" around here, you'll see what all these cats say and there's talk of 29'ers and height issues within that thread as well, my vertically challenged friend. I've got exactly the opposite problem myself. Lates, TJ

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i have one friend who is 5'7" and rides a raliegh xxix, which is completely rigid, with a non-suspension corrected fork. i'm not sure how great it would be for someone you're height with a suspension fork on there. what is your inseam?

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Yes, a professional bike fit can be helpfull, especially if you race or spend alot of time on the bike. However, many people can be fitted really well by thier own knowledgable bike shop employees when purchasing a bike. If you choose to use a professioanl fitting expert, make sure they are experienced with mountain bike fit and understand your level of riding.

RyanW

Well perhaps i'll just need to find someone that can eyeball me on the bike. Any recco's?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
A pro bike fit is very different than just seeing how you look on the bike, that's a general assumption that everyone is built the same, and that's just not true...A pro bike fit starts with analyzing your individual flexibilty and measuring the degree of movement you have in your legs, pelvis, and lower back...It also takes into consideration any injuries you may have had and compensates for those...It is it's own science...I suggest having it done by a pro...I've had every bike I own fit and it really makes a HUGE difference, probrally a lot more than than buying some new spiffy part...

And as for 29'ers for shorter folk...I'm 5'8" and ride a 17.5 fisher, the one from the Superfly thread, they make one size smaller in a 15.5 which should give you more than enough standover, you're more than welcome to come ride mine and if it's too big we know you need the smaller one...

-Jim.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
+1 to what Jim said...especially if we're talkin' road.

Back in my roadie days I started on an ill-fitting Diamondback Master TG. I didn't realize that it was ill-fitting, everything "seemed" right and the LBS tweaked some things when I bought it. I *thought* I was comfortable on the bike.

When my mileage pushed pass 100-150 miles a week, and my training rides started to be 30-40 miles instead of 20, things started to hurt. At the same time, fortunately, I started to lust after the Columbus EL-OS tubed Torellis, and took the plunge.

Of course, I had the bike professionally fitted. Oh-my-god! I realized I was hurting even more than I thought on the TG (sometimes you don't know what is hurting until it no longer hurts). Suddenly, my 30 miles rides were easier than my 20 mile rides on the TG were! Sure the Torelli is a superior bike in every way, but no doubt most of it was the fit. The only pain I felt after that was muscle pain from training...even as my mileage increased into the 200s/week.

Worth every $$.

Top Bottom