Problem with brake

trener1

Looking for some collective wisdom here.
I have a gravel bike, had a new rear brake installed just about 6 weeks ago it's a Shimano 105 Hydro, I haven't done a whole lot of riding since, and the other day I see that I have no stopping power, when I try to stop the lever pulls back all the way to the handlebar, I am not really up on Hydro brakes, can someone give me some insight as to what might be goinhg on and what I might need to do to fix it?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
sounds like air in the lines, needs a bleed.

either that or you have a leak and all the fluid is gone (you should see this pretty obviously if its the case)

trener1

Does this mean that it wasn't installed properly in the first place? Yeah I dont think its leaking.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does this mean that it wasn't installed properly in the first place? Yeah I dont think its leaking.

have you ridden it at all since it was installed? this would be immediately apparent on your first ride if it wasnt installed correctly.

air can get in the lines from having the bike upside down (usually you need to move the lever to cause this)

if the install is warrantied you can ask the shop about it, a bleed shouldnt take a pro all that long to do for you.

trener1

Yeah I have, I did one big ride (70 miles), then a few shorter rides, just commuting.
And All of a sudden a few days ago there was no rear brake power.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
just start with a bleed and see what happens, not sure how the bleed procedure is on shimano road hydraulice (i should probably figure it out, but my ultegra hydraulics have been flawless since i got it)

Karate Monkey

Two possibilities: air left in the reservoir after bleeding (easy to do), flipped the bike upside down, and air entered the open brake line.

Other possibility: leak at a hose joint. The most common one is at the lever, and it's easy to not see it, since it is hidden by the tape. Roll the tape back around the lever body and take a look. Either the fitting could be loose, or the compression hardware may have been installed cockeyed (or! They installed two compression olives by accident, not realizing one was already in the lever).

goldsbar

They certainly shouldn't be giving you trouble in the first six weeks; arguably not even the first year or two. Whether that's an install error or not, hard to say. Something is obviously screwed up, but hard to say what. Agree with all the suggestions.

w_b

New install , take it back. Unless it’s yours. Then take it somewhere else.

Top Bottom