Private investigator called

THATmanMANNY

My wife called 911 to help a lady that fell like 4 years ago. She didn’t touch her or help her until the ambulance arrived. TODAY, a PI reached out. She didn’t pick up. Listened to his msg and read his text. She called him back. Now he is asking to meet her to give a statement that she found her on the ground but didn’t actually see her fall.

What the F is wrong with this? I just have a bad feeling about this and I told her to ignore him or tell him no. I think she said she will get back to him. Looking for opinions? I want to get on the phone with him and wife and ask him 100 questions like who hired you? What is the purpose of this investigation etc.

Meanwhile I’m on ozark season 4, ep 1 with the PI!

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Let me know if you want to talk to a private insurance investigator. Friend of mine.

Her story might not be lining up and she falls down for a living.

To answer your questions, the insurance Co hired him. The do this to reduced their liability in long term high money cases. My buddy could write a book on how people try these scams. Esp if the person is a Dr and can get another Dr to claim they are disabled.

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

Guess it just comes down to whether wifey wants to join the party. Id advice my wife to mind her business. How far can this go if she say yes? What if your wife’s testimony foils a life plan/scam/whatever and they decide you are now an enemy? Who needs that in any form? Keep all that extra unless court ordered.

Last edited:

iman29

Assuming this is some kind of insurance or liability investigation, these slip/trip/fall cases take a long time to resolve (years).

My bet is it's the defending insurance company trying to limit liability and they are working through all the information on what happened to get some evidence that supports this.

In this day and age, everything feels like a scam and I am always suspicious of random things like this, though it could very well be legit. Unless your wife sees something like a subpoena compelling her to cooperate I would say sorry I can't help you I don't want to be involved.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
This is absolutely horrible advice to give.

Go for 50%. I mean, she holds the ball now, amiright?
I figured her lawyer is taking 30% off the top, so I didn't want to push too hard. There is always time to renegotiate when you're committing fraud.

rick81721

Lothar
Guess it just comes down to whether wifey wants to join the party. Id advice my wife to mind her business. How far can this go if she say yes? What if your wife’s testimony foils a life plan/scam/whatever and they decide you are now an enemy? Who needs that in any form? Keep all that extra unless court ordered.

Easy way out is to simply say: four years ago, are you kidding? What lady who fell? Where?

THATmanMANNY

Easy way out is to simply say: four years ago, are you kidding? What lady who fell? Where?
Exactly.
I’ve been watched too many movies and shows when someone ask I don’t answer and ask who/what is this.

I’ve told her going fwd that when someone approaches her that she just says no

Patrick

Staff member
Exactly.
I’ve been watched too many movies and shows when someone ask I don’t answer and ask who/what is this.

I’ve told her going fwd that when someone approaches her that she just says no

Holy hell. You all are too paranoid.
So now the insurance company will think you are complicit, and you'll be hiring a lawyer rather than taking to a PI.

rick81721

Lothar
Holy hell. You all are too paranoid.
So now the insurance company will think you are complicit, and you'll be hiring a lawyer rather than taking to a PI.

Seriously? An insurance company would think a possible witness to a minor event 4 years saying they don't remember makes them complicit and then they would then spend more money investigating the potential witness??

i-actually-went-to-lawyer-school-peter-scanavino.gif

Patrick

Staff member
Seriously? An insurance company would think a possible witness to a minor event 4 years saying they don't remember makes them complicit and then they would then spend more money investigating the potential witness??

View attachment 177113

Say the person is disabled and collecting $15,000/mo for the next 20 years. So yes.

And they will have the materials to remind you what happened. Meet with them and not being able to recall details is one thing.

Forgetting something that happened is something you or gock might do, but Ms Manny is young.

Fire Lord Jim

Ever see the video of the basketball players with the gorilla? What happened, verses what you saw, are not always the same. Our brains add and ignore elements, create a script, then save that script as a memory.

Here's the fun part: every time we pull up that memory and then put it back, the memory changes. I am confident in what I "know" yet when it comes to testimony, oaths, under penalty of perjury, something with external consequences, "I'm not sure" is probably most accurate.

Calling 9-1-1 was right as it requires a lower level of certainty than making a sworn statement. I'd block the caller. But then, I don't watch PI movies.

rick81721

Lothar
Say the person is disabled and collecting $15,000/mo for the next 20 years. So yes.

And they will have the materials to remind you what happened. Meet with them and not being able to recall details is one thing.

Forgetting something that happened is something you or gock might do, but Ms Manny is young.

$15K a month? You really watch too many movies/TV shows. And age has nothing to do with remembering something minor that happened to someone else 4 years ago. Silly advice!

Reactions: rlb

Patrick

Staff member
$15K a month? You really watch too many movies/TV shows. And age has nothing to do with remembering something minor that happened to someone else 4 years ago. Silly advice!

Drs insure for $15k tax free per month. So do lawyers.

Can't be a surgeon if you lose a finger. Say you shoot the end of your finger off using your rifle as support going over a fence after you've been hunting for 40 years. Nobody around and you walked out and drove to the hospital. True story. At least the finger shot off part.

Investigators know people don't have 100% recall and even if you recalled exactly what you did or saw, it is still only your perspective.

What if there was an injury sustained during transport or treatment? And the person that is responsible claims it happened in the original accident? Just someone's trying to get to the truth.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Drs insure for $15k tax free per month. So do lawyers.

Can't be a surgeon if you lose a finger. Say you shoot the end of your thumb off using your rifle as a cane going over a fence after you've been hunting for 40 years. Nobody around and you walked out and drove to the hospital. True story. At least the thumb shot off part.

Investigators know people don't have 100% recall and even if you recalled exactly what you did or saw, it is still only your perspective.

What if there was an injury sustained during transport or treatment? And the person that is responsible claims it happened in the original accident? Just someone's trying to get to the truth.

So you picked two two high end disability possibilities? Corporate disability pays 60% - so this lady would have to be making $300K a year to qualify for that much. And if you knew anything about disability insurance, you would know the insurance company would be very certain the injuries were real AND disqualifies said person from doing their job before paying out. Someone getting 300K/year isn't doing manual labor!

Top Bottom