Price of a Cyclosross bike?

scotth

Hello All,

What is a round about price for an entry level Cyclocross bike? Thanks.

Regards,
Scott

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
i just got the motobecane fantom cross uno $400,(singlespeed) and slapped some velocity deep v's on it.

just got back from allaire...freaking awesome bike, i would definetly reccomend it to anyone looking to try out a CX bike, Its my first cx bike and i have no regrets, just be sure to upgrade the wheels for off road use. i kept the stock set with some road tires so i can easily swap between road and trail

pinkshirtphotos

ride one before you buy one! wow i dodged a bullet. for a while i was thinking i would buy one. so glad i didn't. at jorbafest i tested one and it was the suck. no cx for me :) .

BiknBen

No way buddy, YOU is the suck, CX is tha bombtastic:D

-Jim.

I'm gonna chime in although Jim is probably gonna come back and continue to pound us with more CX propaganda.

A CX bike is absolutely the best bike for CX Racing. You can't race CX with a road bike due to tire clearance issues. A MTB in a CX race is like a knife at a gunfight.

Once you go beyond CX racing the bike is less than ideal for most other types of riding. The geometry leads to slow handling on the road and poor weight distribution on the single-track. Sure, you can ride anywhere on a CX bike, but it is a compromise.

I own a CX bike. It is primarily a beater/rain bike but has been used in a few CX races. If I was forced to own just one bike...it would my CX bike. I would trade speed on the road and handling on the trails for the ability to ride anywhere. It may be fun to do a road or MTB ride on a CX bike but you are at a disadvantage. It is cool to prove that you can make up for it. :getsome:

Ian F

I own a CX bike. It is primarily a beater/rain bike but has been used in a few CX races. If I was forced to own just one bike...it would my CX bike. I would trade speed on the road and handling on the trails for the ability to ride anywhere. It may be fun to do a road or MTB ride on a CX bike but you are at a disadvantage. It is cool to prove that you can make up for it. :getsome:

I pretty much agree... having owned a very nice Indy Fab CX bike in the past... I rode mine mostly on trails and it was a nice change of pace when I was riding 2-4 times a week... but when priorities changed and I needed to slim down the quiver, it was one of the first to go. :(

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I'm gonna chime in although Jim is probably gonna come back and continue to pound us with more CX propaganda.

It's like talking to a brick wall around here, you guys just don't get it, I feel sorry for all of you;)

-Jim.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I thought they were dumb.. Then I wend riding with Tim Johnson and Barry Wicks.

They changed my mind.

Cross isn't for everyone.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
A CX bike is absolutely the best bike for CX Racing. You can't race CX with a road bike due to tire clearance issues. A MTB in a CX race is like a knife at a gunfight.

Once you go beyond CX racing the bike is less than ideal for most other types of riding. The geometry leads to slow handling on the road and poor weight distribution on the single-track. Sure, you can ride anywhere on a CX bike, but it is a compromise.

I've gotta agree with Ben here as well. My CX bike is awesome, I get happy just looking at it, but it is a compromise for everything except actually racing CX.

However, my mtb (Ben's too) is a rigid SS, which is also a compromise bike. I would certainly be faster on a geared hardtail under most circumstances, but I enjoy elements of my bike that are not about just how fast I'm going.

For me, at this stage of the game, the main thing I'm looking for out of a ride is fun. I enjoy riding local singletrack on the CX bike (and my SS 29er) and seeing what I can do with it. To claim that everyone should like it the same way I do would be silly.

scotth

Thanks for all the input! I'm in a situation where I would like to put more miles on a bike, but can't always get to the woods. So I thought get a cross bike and ride on the road a little and then do some cross races, they look like fun. The other option is to get a road bike and just put some miles on in my area. I'm tyring to sell a few things to free up some money then I'll make a move.

Regards,

Scott

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Another way ...

There is another way to have a cyclocross bike ...
Have a wonderful boyfriend who is just a Cyclocrossfool :D

RC ... :)

Top Bottom