Presta to schrader

T

TWITCH1

The hole in my rim for the presta valve will not fit a shraeder valve. Is it not recommended to drill the whole a little bigger? Or has anyone done this? I cant afford to buy new rims but i really want to use slim in my tires or something equivalent. Any ideas? :hmmm:

Wobbegong

The hole in my rim for the presta valve will not fit a shraeder valve. Is it not recommended to drill the whole a little bigger? Or has anyone done this? I cant afford to buy new rims but i really want to use slim in my tires or something equivalent. Any ideas? :hmmm:

Conti presta tubes have a threaded valve that can be removed. You can put slime in the tubes and put the valve back in. Problem solved.

Slime also makes presta tubes with the goo already in them.

ellbiddy

To piggyback from the same idea from a previous thread, get sealant and either buy/make rimstrips and run them tubeless. Costs the same but instead of having sealant and a tube all you need is sealant. Unless tubeless doesn't stroke you the right way, then slime tubes will do.

Even without a removable core, what you can do is unscrew the cap, drop the pin in the tube and "catch" it, flow slime in the gaping hole, slide the pin back in and recap it and maybe recrimp the top. I think if you google "slime in presta tube" you'll find a few people who have done this without too much headache.

ArmyOfNone

I dont want to say it will be the best 60 bucks spent for your bike, but damn close. You will be very satisfied. As long as they are not on wtb rims.

T

TWITCH1

If i were to choose to go back to tubes would that be a problem after doing the tubless transition with the rim

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Is it not recommended to drill the whole a little bigger? Or has anyone done this?

You can totally drill the hole bigger, I do conversions at the shop all the time, it's perfectly safe. Just to be sure though, it's not a carbon rim is it?

-Jim.

JeffSpicoli

I've drilled through a few wheels to make it fit a schrader. No problems, but make sure there are no sharp edges around the hole u make.:eek:

T

TWITCH1

Not carbon... Thats to rich for my meager military wage of peanuts.:getsome:

T

TWITCH1

they are aluminum, rolf vector comp rims... Is Rolf even around anymore?

T

TWITCH1

crap wrong bike forum... I thought i was on road bike review. I'm on both forums. But still, no, not carbo.:drooling:

Top Bottom