Pressfit BB replacement options

ebarker9

So I was able to chase down a couple of minor creaks but still have a "tapping" noise. Mostly noticeable in the small chainring, seated, not necessarily when a lot of power is being applied (not that I'm capable of all that much power). Sounds like someone is taking their knuckle and tapping the downtube with each pedal stroke. I've already done the full seatpost/saddle assembly teardown, clean and regrease and I can't get any kind of sound pulling, pushing, etc on the saddle. Checked and tightened rear hub preload slightly. After pulling the crankset/BB apart, short of actually removing the bearings what I've noticed is the following:

-Spinning the crankset without a chain, it spins freely but doesn't have that nice hydraulic smoothness that I'd expect for <1k miles. There's a tiny rumbling/notchiness.
-Once the preload is removed the axle has slight fore-aft, up-down (non-axial) play. Hard to tell if the play is in the bearings themselves, between the bearings and frame, or between the bearings and axle.
-The non-drive side bearing feels new. The drive side bearing feels somewhat notchy. I've felt worse but it's definitely not smooth.
-Re-checked torque of the chainring bolts and spider lockring. No issues.
-From the factory there were 2 0.5mm spacers installed. When torqued to spec, the wave washer is flat. I tried with 1 washer and when torqued to spec the wave washer is still essentially flat.
-Confirmed correct assembly order, spacers etc per the SiSl2 manual

So, at a minimum, I need to replace the drive side bearing and would probably just do both. I suppose I could pull the seal and attempt to flush out and re-grease, but I hate doing that with the bearing in the frame and only access to one side. Feels like a half measure. I could go the Kogel route. That would be cool. Or one of the full sleeve replacements (BB infinite, there are others as well). Currently undecided. Would consider shop at this point but don't want to contribute to the craziness.

Edit: well, the teardown, cleaning, greasing, and reassembly seem to have fixed the sound. Not sure what specifically did it, but it was nice to ride in peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: w_b
Top Bottom