Pressfit BB replacement options

ebarker9

I have a 2019 Synapse with a BB30a bottom bracket which is, no surprise, making noise. So I'm looking at the various replacement options that are out there. I'd prefer to keep the existing 30mm crankset, mostly for cost, which makes it look like the only option is the BB Infinite setup unless there are alternatives that I haven't seen. Anyone have experience with this/suggestions?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
your 100% sure its the BB making noise?

Its a loose crankarm? saddle rail?

ebarker9

your 100% sure its the BB making noise?

Its a loose crankarm? saddle rail?

I'm definitely not 100% sure. It's noticeable when riding out of the saddle so it's not that. Just ordered the crankset lockring tool to be able to check that. Part of it is just wanting to rule that out as a problem going forward if there's a better alternative.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If it's BB30, isn't bearings the only real option?

With the exception of adding Loctite Green bearing retainer compound.

On edit, I see it's a 2019. So therefore isn't it a PF30? Or is that what they call BB30a?

Dingo

What rear hub do you have? I had a horrible intermittent creaking sound, usually out of the saddle under hard pedaling. Took me a while to track it down, replaced the press fit bottom bracket, shock bushings, inspected all pivot bearings, lock tited head set races. Spoke to Pivot and they were no help.
By chance I serviced the I9 rear hub and found the drive shell bearing destroyed. No problems with engagement or freewheeling, just doing routine maintenance.
It's the double row bearing in this pic.

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 67

ebarker9

It's BB30a, so unfortunately the pf30 adapter won't work. BB30 is the standard where bearings are pressed directly into the frame, whereas pf30 has bearings pressed into a cup which is then pressed into the frame. BB30a is the asymmetric variant of BB30, just to add a little confusion to the topic. The only option that I've come across other than various solutions using locitite or epoxy, which just don't seem like adequate long term approaches, is BB Inifinte:

They are Fulcrum 600 DB hubs...not that much info available online that I've found, which tends to be the case with a lot of the parts that come on full bike builds. But I'm definitely still looking for other sources of noise.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
What rear hub do you have? I had a horrible intermittent creaking sound, usually out of the saddle under hard pedaling. Took me a while to track it down, replaced the press fit bottom bracket, shock bushings, inspected all pivot bearings, lock tited head set races. Spoke to Pivot and they were no help.
By chance I serviced the I9 rear hub and found the drive shell bearing destroyed. No problems with engagement or freewheeling, just doing routine maintenance.

I had the same issue with an i9 Torch hub. The bearings were toast after about 12 months.

ebarker9

If I were going to get $$$ hubs, I'd probably buy Onyx just for the silence, but I don't think that it's likely that I have a hub bearing failure. Bike's been ridden maybe 20 times and never in the rain.

Dingo

If I were going to get $$$ hubs, I'd probably buy Onyx just for the silence, but I don't think that it's likely that I have a hub bearing failure. Bike's been ridden maybe 20 times and never in the rain.
Mine was less than 12 months old, and this bearing is way inside, so no chance of dirt contamination.
Maybe swap the rear wheel from another bike just to eliminate.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
same bearing? Did it make any creaking noises?
I replaced the bearings a couple months ago so I honestly don't remember exactly which one it was. It was completely toast though. The freehub body was actually developing a wobble from it. Yes, it was creaking. I actually went through the same process as you. I checked/cleaned/re-greased the cranks/spindle, BB, pivot bearings, etc. and then I decided to check the cassette to see if it was the source. I realized something was way off when removing the cassette.

The good news is that if you are handy and willing to buy the tools from i9 the bearing replacement is really easy. Even the tiny springs and pawls didn't pose any issue.

jackx

I would also check the rear axle - if it is quick-release. I've had some horrible creaks on my road bike - due to grit or being a tad bit too loose.

Reactions: Tim

ebarker9

is it 12 speed (Eagle) its possible to have a worn out chain in less time than that depending on riding conditions/attention to lubrication

Probably should have been more explicit in the original post but it's a Cannondale Synapse road bike with 11 speed Ultegra Di2.

Top Bottom