Press Release: Washington Valley Park Patrols (Chimney Rock)

Dave02

Copied from Bridgewater Police Department post:
Press Release: Washington Valley Park Patrols. Bridgewater, NJ - During the month of June, the Bridgewater Township Police Department was made aware of illegal activities at Washington Valley Park, which includes the Chimney Rock Reservoir and Buttermilk Falls. The park is located in the Martinsville section of the Township. Somerset County Park Commission officials continue to report and observe illegal activities such as violations of prohibited swimming, littering, illegal campfires, consumption of alcoholic beverages and illegal parking. The Somerset County Park Commission has had to remove several dumpsters of garbage due to excessive littering in the park. In response, to these complaints, the Bridgewater Township Police Department in cooperation with the Somerset County Sheriff’s Office and the Somerset County Park Rangers increased enforcement of these quality of life issues. These efforts included parking enforcement of no parking on Gilbride Road, Newmans Lane, and Miller Lane, and walking patrols of the park with uniform and undercover officers. Bridgewater Township Police Department Acting Chief Paul Payne has announced that during these walking patrols of park lands, officers arrested two adults for possession of a controlled dangerous substance and issued over forty summonses for illegal swimming, consumption of alcohol in a County Park and Disorderly Conduct. These uniformed and undercover patrols will continue during the upcoming July 4th Holiday weekend. Acting Chief Payne invites everyone to enjoy all the parks that Bridgewater Township has to offer, however we must remember to not to disturb their beauty with illegal activity. Vehicles should only be parked in areas designated for parking. Furthermore the waters in the all of the parks located in the Township are not monitored by lifeguards and swimming is prohibited.

Dingo

There are now no parking signs on Gilbride, near the bridge parking lot. Looked like a motion camera was on one of them (?) And there was a private driveway further up, the residence has to post no parking. And the trash! These visiters should be ashamed of themselves for crappy behavior.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah I'm fine with this.

After last week, you knew this was coming. It was going to be either this, or close the park. So I'm happy to see this is the solution as opposed to closure. As for the people drinking & doing drugs in the park - look, honestly IDGAF what you do on your free time but when the park becomes a landfill, something has to give. As far as I'm concerned, if the bikers are littering, write them up too. I don't understand how people are ok with throwing their garbage randomly anywhere.

As someone who parks and uses the park legally, I'm good with all this.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was there yesterday when they were installing the signs. 1st saw them on lower CR Road and then at the Gilbridge lot. No parking and "the rules" signs. Guessing the park is doing the cleaning as well, as it's a fair amount cleaner then last week but still a lot more out there. Saw some graffiti on the long bridge on white and at the kiosk, disappointing. Large rocks placed over at Newmans to control parking, looks pretty good actually. Saw 2 kids walking back to their car in the ballfield lot with a huge cooler this morning, guess they got the message. Saw no kids swimming or partying either day otherwise. Things should be getting back to normal now. Hopefully they let us in there soon to do some trimming. Shit is getting out of control.

Dingo

@Norm What happened last week? A friend of mine that lives in Warren was asking if I heard about vandilism there. :shrug:

Off The Road Again

@Norm What happened last week? A friend of mine that lives in Warren was asking if I heard about vandilism there. :shrug:
I'm guessing he's talking about the guy who drowned in the reservoir. I hadn't heard about any vandalism though - doesn't surprise me if it happened, assholes.

Dingo

Someone def put up a camera near Gilbride bridge parking lot. Mounted on one of the new no parking signs.
We asked the ranger and it was news to her. We thanked her for all the hard work they do and for putting up with all the nonsense lately.
CAM.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions