Preparing for the winter...

carvegybe

With global warming and all I might need to be thinking about chigger protection during the winter, but assuming we still have a winter or two to go, I'm wonder what you peeps use for mtb pants when you're expecting it to be both cold (high 30s) and wet. That's the only weakness in my clothing arsenal at the moment...winter rain.

Suggestions would be appreciated. I'm a fan of Gore and Craft stuff, but sometimes you can overpay with those brands.

Thanks

CG

I got pearl izumi pants from Sierra trading post for $20. Really helps keep the wind from freezing the legs.

With global warming and all I might need to be thinking about chigger protection during the winter, but assuming we still have a winter or two to go, I'm wonder what you peeps use for mtb pants when you're expecting it to be both cold (high 30s) and wet. That's the only weakness in my clothing arsenal at the moment...winter rain.

Suggestions would be appreciated. I'm a fan of Gore and Craft stuff, but sometimes you can overpay with those brands.

Thanks

CG
Rule of thumb for cold wet weather is take your dry temp minus 10 degrees. So 38 and rain = dress for 28. This is for the road but works for mtb too (mtb is warmer) Anything with wind stopper (ish) fabric is water resistant and warm AF. Fleece lined wind stopper is awesome but I can’t wear it above 32 degrees. This stuff is all documented someplace in this site.

Back when working in an office was a thing I'd duck out of work early on some Fridays and go straight to ride. I forgot clothes to change once so I just rode in jeans and it was surprisingly comfortable and rugged and did that every time after that instead of changing in my car.

I have a wide variety of clothing for winter riding collected over the decades. I still have some Bellweather tights from 30 years ago that get regular use. To me, figuring out what to wear is a matter of experience and experimentation. Everyone tolerates the cold differently so I don't think there are any hard-fast rules. Other than maybe layering.

Personally, being comfortable means keeping my feet comfortable. The rest of me can vary quite a bit. Even gloves don't seem to matter much to me. I often wear my regular full-finger gloves in single digit temps, although I usually have warmer gloves in my pack just in case. Carrying spare gloves is something I do recommend, just in case you slip on ice and put a hand into a wet puddle.

That said, I also see my Wahoo Kickr getting more use this coming winter.

Last Winter seriously rocked!

I am solidly in the "it doesn't rain in Winter" camp. I got lots of multi-purpose layers, and Club Ride pants are my favorite outer layer - super comfortable on/off the bike, don't hold moisture, and can even pass for regular pants.

What is this "cold winter" that you speak of?

florida-snowbird-license-plate.jpg

FWIW, I prefer cooler/cold weather wet ride compared to warm weather wet riding. Since you are all covered up, when you get undressed, all the muck comes off with it. In warm months, all exposed skin (legs/arms) are covered in crap you need to wash off.

I wore these pants through last winter and was out every weekend (good down to 15 degrees).

TSLA Men's Thermal Windproof Cycling Pants, Fleece Lined Outdoor Bike Pants, Winter Cold Weather Running Pants​

(from amazon)

I have Gore jackets and pants that I have worn down to single digits, with snow precipitation, and been comfortable. For me it's all about the gloves and socks. Keep your fingers and toes, and core warm.... that's all that really matters. If you get a foot or hand wet in sub 20 degrees it's ride over.

Back
Top Bottom