Pre race food.

mtnbiker7

I know theres already threads about what you eat during a ride but I'm more interested in what to eat before, during, and after a race. I've tried things like oatmeal, protein shakes, power bars, and fruit and they all kind of worked the same. During a race I normally just use a Gu or two and after it's usually a gatorade and bannana. I'm basically asking what everyone else uses and what they think I could eat/drink to get more energy and just overall feel better in a race? Thanks.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
noodle3.jpg

no joke. just do it.

nuff sodium to blow your brains out. you'll never bonk.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am a firm believer that what you eat in the 160+ hours of the week not tied to before/during/after a race has more to do with how you feel than anything. I'll answer the question though.

This past race I felt my nutrition was the best of the 6 races this year. I base that on how I felt the hours leading up to the race, and during the race.

* Before the race I had 2 breakfasts, the second about 3.5 hours before the race. The first was 2 slices of toast, 1 with a banana and honey, the other with apple butter. The second was 2 more slices of toast with maple syrup. This was a ton of carbs. I also had some water and 2 cups of coffee, which is normal for me. I sip some water for the next few hours. No more food.

* An hour before the race I chug a Carnation Instant Breakfast, chocolate. I do a 30 minute preride and drink 1/2 of my bottle of Accelerade, mixed at 1/4 strength. As I line up for the race I eat an Accel Gel.

* During the race I eat a gel at the end of lap 1 and at the end of lap 2. I drink a whole bottle of 1/4-mixed Accelerade. When the race is over I drink the other half bottle from the warmup.

* After the race I go back to the car and drink Endurox. I had some fig newtons as well while waiting for the results. I also drink a quart of water in about 15 minutes. I did not have any beer.

This has taken me a while to get right. I will likely do the exact same thing this weekend and I will likely noy feel as good. This is a moving target for many people, myself included. I also ate a fair amount the Saturday night before the race. I was just starving so I ate a bit more than usual.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I am a firm believer that what you eat in the 160+ hours of the week not tied to before/during/after a race has more to do with how you feel than anything. I'll answer the question though.

True dat son!! I think it takes a while for people to understand how the week effects your race-day performance, with hydration, nutrition, sleep, recovery, blah, blah, blah...But...Same as you, I'll play along...

Lewis Morris food...

Pre-

Mind you this is for a 12:30-1pm start

Bowl of Yogurt and Granola for breakfast
Met-RX BIG100 bar at 10am
1 Gel and 1 water bottle during warm-up
Sugar-Free Monster

Post-

Whatever's around!! Some of my favorite "recovery" foods include, swedish fish (or more accurately, Ju-ju fish), Met-Rx, Taco-Bell, Panera, more Monster, and TONS of fluids. Post-race is my time to eat whatever I want, so I take it:D

-Jim.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
what do YOU eat from taco bell?

I know some people dontreally consieder it meat... but...

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Normally I like to have some of my favorite steel cut, McCann's oatmeal with a banana mixed it, then a whey shake. However, this race, I stayed at my GF's house in denville and did not have my usual breakfast supplies. So I had some instant maple outmeal and a TLC bar about around 7:30. Drank a bottle of vitimin water. Then about an hour before the race I had another TLC bar and another vitimin water. Then 10 or so min before the race, a gel. And one gel per lap during. Plus I mix some gel in camelback water.

mtnbiker7

Has anyone tried the Endurolyte capsules and heed. I'm just wondering how they work during the race and if Heed is better then just regular water?

Top Bottom