Post your pre ride/race meal recipe

My favorite big day breakfast is:

Juice
Scambled eggs with cheese
Toasted english muffin with butter or almond butter
Coffee

Eat 2 hours prior. Powerbar endurance drink 1/2 hr after start. No gels, or need to refuel until after 3-4 hours of riding.

BEER:= lots of water, pleanty of carbs.
stop drinking heavly 18 hours prior to event to sober up a bit & reduce the chance of puking at the mid point of the event.
Hookers:= up the testestrone levels but again no more than 18 hours prior.or you will be fast asleep before they even leave the trailer.
pork rinds:= great energy during the event
Pickled eggs (no less than 2years old):= this is more tactics, the odor that is emitted after eating just 3 of these will keep people so far back they will never catch, just drop a bomb at the start line but be careful to not fill your shorts.

So....what time and what day is the high point ride again?????

Now this is a recipe for speed if i ever herd one

Day before...

I don't eat anything weird or something I haven't eaten before as to not upset my stomach. I also drink a little more fluid to make sure I'm hydrated. It's also one of the few nights I don't eat ice cream for dessert:D

Day of...

For breakfast I eat cereal, I prefer Cookie Crisp in Plain Soymilk, if it's a long drive and I need to eat on the road, I stop at QuickChek and get an egg and cheese sandwich or a buttered roll...

3 hours prior to start, taking into consideration Expert starts are always at least 30 minutes later than posted, I have a Met-Rx Big100 Colossal bar (Super Cookie Crunch is yummy) and a Low-Carb Monster (I tell myself the little jolt helps my focus, I'm sure it's not true though)...I also seem to drink half my water bottle on the start line, for no other reason than I'm nervous/excited/anxious...

Who really knows what's right or wrong, you just need to follow a procedure that works best for you...

-Jim.

I had my wisdom teeth removed over the fall. I couldn't really eat anything that involved chewing for a week or so, so I found ways to get nutrients in easily. I would make smoothies with frozen berries, yogurt, soymilk, flax seeds, protein powder, peanut butter, fruit juices, and bananas.

Coincidentally, my super smoothies also make awesome pre or post ride snacks.

Lately, I have been riding after work and only have time to down a gu, banana, or larabar (or all 3). I usually get some caffiene and a clifbar after the ride if I'm tired, which I usually am after working 9 hours and riding for 2.

I won't eat 3 hours prior to race/event; If I get up early enough to eat it is oatmeal, 2 hrs prior I start my race nutrition all liquid, and try to consume 20-30 oz. Then once race starts I just continue at 20-30 oz/hr depending on heat/humidity.

I worked all night before hand SO i consumed:
Chicken Fajita Wrap
Cliff Protien Bar
3 apples
2 bananas
1 orange
Some eggplant parm and mixed vegis
2 packs of oatmeal
1 granola bar
1 metrx big 100
1 pkg of sport beans
1 gel
3 liters of water

Didnt help my pedal from consuming my shoe however.

wow- all I do is eat a good meal the night before- nothing too heavy....have a banana and a clif bar pre-race, maybe a gu during the race and an endurox and apple after the race-- plus lots of water before, during and after.....

No food for thought?

Besides drinking a lot of water the day before, and eating a good dinner the night before, and a good breakfast, a 12:30 start usually calls for a top off 2 hours prior IMO.

I got up early and ate a 6 am breakfast on Sunday, and did not decide to race until 11:30 which was too late to eat. That's 6+ hours without eating, I went to the line with a bottle of Powerbar endurance drink in my cage and 1 gu in my pocket. I had a great race, felt strong and had better than usual results. What does this mean? I have no idea, but I may not eat as much on race day anymore. Perhaps some people can store from the day before better than others.

I worked all night before hand SO i consumed:
Chicken Fajita Wrap
Cliff Protien Bar
3 apples
2 bananas
1 orange
Some eggplant parm and mixed vegis
2 packs of oatmeal
1 granola bar
1 metrx big 100
1 pkg of sport beans
1 gel
3 liters of water

Dude...that is a ton of food. Are you a cop or a food taste tester? You must be the one causing the line at the sh!tter on race day.

You actually may be eating too much. There are many schools of thought regarding race nutrition. I'll throw out one that is commonly accepted. Eat a moderate to large meal early the night before. This will fill the energy tank but give your body time to process everything fully. This will also promote the all-important Pre-Race Dump (PRD).

The morning of the race, you want to eat just enough to top off the tank 2-3 hours ahead of time. About one hour before the race, start consuming your sport drink of choice. Add a gel or small bar if required. These products are easier to digest during exercise. During the race, drink at regular intervals and consume gel to keep from bonking.

The portions of real food are relatively small. At night im on the go and i need to have something about every 2-3 hours. Ill starve if not! I dont really dont think that is to much food considering it was from 9pm-10am

But thanks for calling me a fat ass :D

...At night im on the go and i need to have something about every 2-3 hours...

But thanks for calling me a fat ass :D

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Your work schedule is unique.

And I never meant to imply that you are a fat ass!!! ;)

I got up early and ate a 6 am breakfast on Sunday, and did not decide to race until 11:30 which was too late to eat. That's 6+ hours without eating, I went to the line with a bottle of Powerbar endurance drink in my cage and 1 gu in my pocket. I had a great race, felt strong and had better than usual results. What does this mean? I have no idea, but I may not eat as much on race day anymore. Perhaps some people can store from the day before better than others.

You're muscle glycogen storage is refilled by your previous post-race/ride meal, so as long as you concentrate on eating well within 45 minutes after rides you're legs will be fine, you may feel hungry, but it won't affect your performance at all. Carb-loading the night before as we all know, doesn't do anything more than weigh you down. Loading up for a race is a process that starts at the end of the previous race...

-Jim

DH race weekend food

Let's see. My races involve a complete weekend. Practice on Saturday and race on Sunday. This is the food I bring for the weekend.

Saturday
Bowl of oatmeal
Drive up with some water
Do some practice runs leave a bottle of Cytomax at the lift
Take a break peanut butter & jelly sandwich
More practice leave water at the lift
Finish practice drink a sugar free Rockstar with a Colossal MetRx bar
Dinner - what ever the team brings "burgers / chili / chicken / meatballs etc..."
Saturday night / sleep in car / more water

Sunday
Wake up - Pop tarts and water
Practice runs leave bottle of Cyomax at the lift
Water up until the race run
Finish my race run and celebrate with beer at the finish line or crash in my run, get mad, pack up and drive home for hours with lots of caffeine and sugar.

whatever you guys eat, it created the most vile disgusting stench in the bathroom at the lewis morris race. there was a line to sit down, thank god i didn't need to.
i wanted to vomit, and i work in sewer treatment plants!

Race Day Breakfast

Race days start with me waking up with my son around 7am then Choc. milk and Blues clues for him while I get ready. Then its off to Lox of Bagels (offical Vernon MTB Club Sponsor) for breakfast together. He eats a plain bagel w/ or w/o Cream Cheese and I rock 2-salt bagels with cream cheese and a large coffee. (sometimes a fresh corn muffin) This is a lot better than my previous meals in college which was a couple of entimans chocolate cover doughnuts. Then I eat a clif bar and banana prior to the race with water and heed mix.

P.s. I like kick it the night before w/ a 'Tommy D' style stake. O'Yeah baby b.:D

-r to the f

Back
Top Bottom