Post your most inventive way to crash here

dmc123

About a year and a half ago I went to Spring Mountain in PA 4 days after getting my first FS bike. The place is a ski mountain that doubles as a run down, small and liftless version of Diablo. I survived the 2 hours or riding some very tough terrain and at near dusk we were bombing down a gravel road to the base lodge. I was doing about 20 miles per hour when at the last second I saw a gray steel cable across the road (no flags on it) with about 10 feet to go. I braked in such a panic that I went over the handle bars and landed directly on the cable with my chest. Steel cables do not give. I couldn't breath for almost a minute. After I recovered I was in serious pain but decided to go to the tiki bar at the base lodge and get a few beers and a steak. On the way home my wife convinced me to get checked out at the hospital. A MRI and $4000 worth of hospital bills later, I was told I broke two ribs and could not ride for a month and a half. That was a bummer.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm not all for sueing anyone, but you should not have had to pay those medical bills. a steel cable across a well travelled road, or even along the side of it, should be well marked.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
[QUOTEI pulled a wheelie and my front wheel fell off. That hurt.][/QUOTE]

When I was much younger we used to make choppers out of our stingray bikes by adding another set of fork arms to what was there.
making a longer rake and then popping wheelies. needles to say we did not have any welding equipment so the forks were just kind of jammed on..I popped a wheelie and the extendo fork came apart the bike came down and I did my first end-over of course we just laughed it off and pounded the forks on better the next time....

gt_heller

this was a pretty good one,,, near dark one night at allamuchy i was cruising down the final long DH to the waterloo road parking lot, at a pretty nice clip (no lights w/ me) when i hit a nasty bit of stutter bumps, they threw me off line into a rocky trench with a quick nasty drop. i got the front wheel clear of the baby heads but my rear tire landed directly on a bowling ball which shot my @ss straight into the air! i rode a nose manual about four feet... right into a large flagstone (did i mention this was allamuchy?) which augered me quite nicely into the stone littered terra firma. with my still clipped in GT kindly parked on my back... i allow the bike to fall to one side with both my knees following and contort my body to release from the pedals. after a quick digit count,blood test, and damage assessment,,, (20,no,none)...i shake out the cobwebs and continue the descent, without further incident.
c ya
greg

Top Bottom