Post Your Doggo [woof]

rlb

It's never easy losing a friend, anyone who says different isn't human. It's awesome that you were able to give Emmy a home after spending so long in the shelter, I'm looking forward to hearing the stories from the wonderful years to come!

Thanks, she's doing great so far!

iman29

We welcomed Layla to the family just about 3 Weeks ago. She's been a total wholesome delight in this world of unknown. Adopted from Home Free Animal Rescue. Her and her 4 siblings left outside of an Alabama animal shelter. We got her between 10-11 weeks old. Since they don't know the birth date. Believed to be Dutch Shepard mix, but awaiting doggy DNA test.

View attachment 127771

View attachment 127772
OMG Layla is all kinds of cute good luck to you and the family for many years of furry fun.

kdebello

We've had Bailey for just over 2 weeks now. Things are going well, but we are all new to having a dog around the house and want to make sure we do the right thing with training. We've taught her some basic commands, sit, stay. The only issue so far is she does get a little bitey and aggressive when excited. I'm taking that as being a puppy and teething. We're working on using a using a chew toy as a distraction and directing her focus to that instead of us.

Since we can't actually go anywhere to classes to train with her, we're going to have to do it a different way. Does anyone have any sites, apps or know anyone that is doing remote training?

iman29

We've had Bailey for just over 2 weeks now. Things are going well, but we are all new to having a dog around the house and want to make sure we do the right thing with training. We've taught her some basic commands, sit, stay. The only issue so far is she does get a little bitey and aggressive when excited. I'm taking that as being a puppy and teething. We're working on using a using a chew toy as a distraction and directing her focus to that instead of us.

Since we can't actually go anywhere to classes to train with her, we're going to have to do it a different way. Does anyone have any sites, apps or know anyone that is doing remote training?
I've got quite a few years of dog training, have helped many friends/family with it and done some on the side a few times.

PM me if you want to discuss some sessions via zoom or something like that.

BPaze

To stop this in my puppies, we would grab the lower jaw and push down on the tongue with your thumb, if done right they can't bite you and will very much dislike it. It does not hurt them and quickly discouraged our dogs from aggressively teething. Learned this trick from a dog trainer.

Fat Trout

Thanks, this is the first time I've had to part with a dog. I didn't think it would be this hard on the family, but we all felt it! I also didn't think we would ever get another dog so quickly, but here we are!
I was a not a pet guy, met my wife and we settled on doing things her way. So we have our own zoo practically. I hate how hard it is when they pass. But at the same time they are so much fun and funny. My Lab is broken for sure....just look at this. You would have to be broken to think this is comfortable. She's dead asleep.

1588896437236.png

iman29

To stop this in my puppies, we would grab the lower jaw and push down on the tongue with your thumb, if done right they can't bite you and will very much dislike it. It does not hurt them and quickly discouraged our dogs from aggressively teething. Learned this trick from a dog trainer.
Yes I would agree I used a similar technique with Shelby by actually moving my hand further into her mouth near the joint so she couldn’t clamp down and push firmly on her jaw near the gumline. You also need to reinforce it with a firm voice and use the name and then command.
So in this case You would change the tone of your voice deeper and firmly say “No!” And then redirect to a chew toy immediately.
then once she stops you have to reward with “good girl “ and use the higher tone to your voice.

the idea is to make it an unpleasant experience when she tries to nip and bite you and once she responds properly to the correction you reward that behavior.

it takes a lot of patience and scratched hands cause puppy teeth are frikin sharp but with consistency you will get there.

rlb

@rlb so sorry about Stella, but glad you and Emmy found each other.
Wishing you many good years.

Thanks Jason! We're off to a good start.

I was a not a pet guy, met my wife and we settled on doing things her way. So we have our own zoo practically. I hate how hard it is when they pass. But at the same time they are so much fun and funny. My Lab is broken for sure....just look at this. You would have to be broken to think this is comfortable. She's dead asleep.

happy wife happy life! Pets definitely make the home a happier place.

rlb

I've been reading this book, seems pretty good so far. This method is more about positive reinforcement vs dealing with eliminating behaviors, not quite sure how the latter is done with clicker training but thankfully I'm not dealing with much of that at the moment.

iman29

I've been reading this book, seems pretty good so far. This method is more about positive reinforcement vs dealing with eliminating behaviors, not quite sure how the latter is done with clicker training but thankfully I'm not dealing with much of that at the moment.

Back in the day like 1996 I read books (not online!) by a guy named Matt Margolis who was pretty Well known as a celebrity dog trainer and he has an overall approach with positive reinforcement as well and redirecting the bad behaviors. More current are some of the dog whisperer books or short YouTube videos (Cesar Milan). I used a combination of things with Shelby and while it’s never 100% perfect she does very well. I am lucky she’s food reward driven she will do anything I tel her for a small treat.

At 2 years old she’s got about 15-20 commands now and/or hand signals and we still do some short training sessions 1-2 times a week to reinforce what she knows.

rlb

Thoroughly enjoying her yard

Edit: apparently instagram videos dont work on embed

Code:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAkngIBHSw_/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited:

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Took Saddie, our 10 month old black lab to the lake for the first time today. Wasn’t sure how she’d handle getting on (and off) the small Jon boat. It was nerve racking to say the least but the boat stayed upright and I stayed dry. Can’t say the same for my two boys or for Saddie. She jumped in after a few failed attempts and then tried to climb onto the Kayak. I lost a few years of my life today ...but I managed to stay dry. :thumbsup:

D1CB0F7B-2686-444D-A1ED-D00B39942D4F.jpegC74F5CB9-0401-41B4-96DE-6412B44DB95F.jpeg

Top Bottom