Post Your Doggo [woof]

rick81721

Lothar
Not mine but spent two days bird hunting with these German short-hair pointers. Amazing dogs - they fly around the fields and then screech to a halt and then freeze in a 3 legged pose when they find a pheasant. They were Amy's dogs (our guide) - she's always amazed at how spectacularly we can miss birds.

20210321_101201.jpg

4952.jpeg

serviceguy

Not mine but spent two days bird hunting with these German short-hair pointers. Amazing dogs - they fly around the fields and then screech to a halt and then freeze in a 3 legged pose when they find a pheasant. They were Amy's dogs (our guide) - she's always amazed at how spectacularly we can miss birds.

View attachment 154331

View attachment 154332
Wonder why they're called pointers...

iman29

So a few weeks back I finally decided to tackle the very difficult task of clipping Shelby’s nails myself. Due to laziness and other lame excuses I had been taking her to the vet and shelling out $19 for them to do it. The money wasn’t the issue I felt like she gets too stressed over it cause she fights them a bit and I don’t want her hating the vets office or car rides (both things she loves right now ).

So since late Feb I have been slowly introducing her to the nail clipper by keeping it nearby during playtimes. Also I would let her sniff it and pounce on it if she wanted to but no chewing or fetch. Then I added in the nightly routine of tucking her in her crate at night and while she gets her nighttime little treat I would touch her paws with it.

About 2 weeks ago I took the first try at clipping her razor sharp dewclaws with surprising success. She was nervous but didn’t bite or cry.

So happy to now announce she’s graduated nail Clipping school because she let me clip and file her front paws all in one sitting (of course with some treat bribes and brushing her to stay clam) but with zero fight or stress. Proves you can teach an almost 3 year old dog new tricks. Will do the back claws later this week.

Next up - desensitizing her to fireworks before 4th of July this summer.

88EA61E8-AAD1-4D8A-8CA4-D4F85869FC7A.png

pibbles

So a few weeks back I finally decided to tackle the very difficult task of clipping Shelby’s nails myself. Due to laziness and other lame excuses I had been taking her to the vet and shelling out $19 for them to do it. The money wasn’t the issue I felt like she gets too stressed over it cause she fights them a bit and I don’t want her hating the vets office or car rides (both things she loves right now ).

So since late Feb I have been slowly introducing her to the nail clipper by keeping it nearby during playtimes. Also I would let her sniff it and pounce on it if she wanted to but no chewing or fetch. Then I added in the nightly routine of tucking her in her crate at night and while she gets her nighttime little treat I would touch her paws with it.

About 2 weeks ago I took the first try at clipping her razor sharp dewclaws with surprising success. She was nervous but didn’t bite or cry.

So happy to now announce she’s graduated nail Clipping school because she let me clip and file her front paws all in one sitting (of course with some treat bribes and brushing her to stay clam) but with zero fight or stress. Proves you can teach an almost 3 year old dog new tricks. Will do the back claws later this week.

View attachment 154374
Let us know how you make out with the fireworks, down here in Cumberland County "the white trash capitol" of NJ the fireworks have already started, (with the occasional flurry of gunfire) had to put my pittie on tranquilizers last year....

jklett

View attachment 154374
I've been working on this with Buddy. We're afraid to take him anywhere because I don't want him to bite anyone.

iman29

Let us know how you make out with the fireworks, down here in Cumberland County "the white trash capitol" of NJ the fireworks have already started, (with the occasional flurry of gunfire) had to put my pittie on tranquilizers last year....

It’s a long process (I have been told) depending on the dogs sensitivity. Sorry to hear poor pup had to go on meds for that.

Been playing sounds of fireworks on my iPhone randomly the last 2 weeks while I play with her and whenever she’s in a happy place like calm and sleeping on my lap. Same idea as cutting the nails to desensitize her but have no idea if it will work. She even flinches outside when someone is getting a roof replaced and she hears the pop pop sounds of a roof nailer.

Google it to read up and introduce it slowly since we all know the dogs hearing is a billion times more sensitive than ours.

I plan to buy some of those little kiddie non flammable snapper things to test it out. Will update here in a few weeks see how she does.

ekuhn

her brindle colors with the light eyes very cool looking pup!
Only one in the litter with them!

finally decided to tackle the very difficult task of clipping Shelby’s nails myself
We have the same issue. We have to take her to the groomer. I tried once and she freaked out and got all squirmy. I should have tried your approach first. Maybe I need to revisit this.

rick81721

Lothar
It’s a long process (I have been told) depending on the dogs sensitivity. Sorry to hear poor pup had to go on meds for that.

Been playing sounds of fireworks on my iPhone randomly the last 2 weeks while I play with her and whenever she’s in a happy place like calm and sleeping on my lap. Same idea as cutting the nails to desensitize her but have no idea if it will work.

Had no idea that dogs can scream.

onetracker

This guy is cooked. Couple of trips to the dog park per day and some hikes the last couple of days. I cannot count the number of balls this guy shags per week. Starting to think about introducing the bike. A tired dog is a good dog!06A782BE-78F8-4F77-B9A0-2818B7F4261A.jpeg Actually snoring...

Top Bottom