Post Your Doggo [woof]

Mare

Check this out. Pup is a monster (many of you heard stories), but we are working really hard and I was ready to take her biking with me for the first time. We went to Jungle yesterday cause I figured we'd see the least amount of people and dogs there. She did amazing!!! She ignored the few people we did pass and stuck by the whole time. We only passed one dog while out and I saw him so I leashed her up before we got to him. Spoiled pup is living the dream.

ebarker9

After six years of living with three legs, my guy is starting to slow down a little. Or at least his overworked back leg is. That thing has taken some major abuse. He lost the other leg due to a mast cell tumor so we've always been worried that there would be a recurrence. Over the past few weeks he's had a harder time getting back up after resting for a while and is now very reluctant to jump up into his bed in our front bay window. In the yard he can still run fast enough that you couldn't tell that he's down a leg but he seems to have a little less balance and coordination with it, especially when it's bent.

So, he's on an anti inflammatory and we're going to try (he's beyond terrified at the vet) to get him x-rays to rule out a sarcoma. Hopefully if it's arthritis we can manage it a while longer. He's still super happy and energetic. We don't know exactly how old he was when we got him but he's probably around 11 now. Given everything that he's been through it's a minor miracle he's doing as well as he is.

PXL_20220509_153141163.jpg

Edit: for anyone noting the length of his nails, I challenge you to try cutting them! Takes two of us and two muzzles and it's still a challenge.

Last edited:

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After six years of living with three legs, my guy is starting to slow down a little. Or at least his overworked back leg is. That thing has taken some major abuse. He lost the other leg due to a mast cell tumor so we've always been worried that there would be a recurrence. Over the past few weeks he's had a harder time getting back up after resting for a while and is now very reluctant to jump up into his bed in our front bay window. In the yard he can still run fast enough that you couldn't tell that he's down a leg but he seems to have a little less balance and coordination with it, especially when it's bent.

So, he's on an anti inflammatory and we're going to try (he's beyond terrified at the vet) to get him x-rays to rule out a sarcoma. Hopefully if it's arthritis we can manage it a while longer. He's still super happy and energetic. We don't know exactly how old he was when we got him but he's probably around 11 now. Given everything that he's been through it's a minor miracle he's doing as well as he is.

View attachment 184415

Edit: for anyone noting the length of his nails, I challenge you to try cutting them! Takes two of us and two muzzles and it's still a challenge.
Our pup has the same nail issue, and we've tried everything. We let the vet do it and she doesn't seem to mind

pibbles

View attachment 184415

Those nails can cause some mobility issue, you can try a tranquilizer before going to the vet, my pittie just turned 12 and had her right front leg removed due to cancer, she gets around great including up and down the stairs and bed. Shes on carprofen for pain in her hip and dasuquin. Good luck...

ebarker9

Oh yeah, we definitely do a sedative before going to the vet and they're going to further sedate him for the X-ray. We'll have them do his nails while he's (relatively) manageable there. We had to do full IV sedation for his chemo treatments and ultrasound following the leg amputation and he broke through that and came running back into the waiting room on a couple of occasions. He's one high strung little animal.

iman29

for as much training progress as I have made with Shelby, even making some small gains with trimming her nails, I finally decided that it was no longer worth stressing her out at home to do it. I was able to get both front paws done at one point, but I felt it wasnt fair to her to try and keep doing it because I wanted to. each time after i was done she would retreat to her cage and would act a little scared if I tried to call her or coax her out for about an hour.

She doesnt mind getting in the car or going to the vet, and when I take here there I help hold/calm her with the vet tech and some treats, and its over and done with in less than 5 minutes.

@ebarker9 sorry to hear about your pupper. what a trooper hope its nothing too serious. I would also talk to the vet and ask about the joint supplements I recall for my previous dog when she got old and slow (she made it to be 17 years old!) he had her on Cosequin and baby aspirin (maybe) and it seemed to help her not be so achy all the time.

onetracker

View attachment 184415

Hope he feels better soon!! If you are near Allendale/Midland Park, I can recommend a great mobile vet (will not help with x-rays) but could make normal visits easier.

Top Bottom