Post Your Doggo [woof]

iman29

It's actually pretty clear. When I had to remove her from the sofa I was afraid she may turn aggressive, I really don't want to do that as she's does have a great temperament, if she were to snap then my wife would go nuts, I may have to get rid of both...J/K

I guess we need to train her not to jump on the sofa/chair at any time then (until we get a bigger sofa that is).

Thanks for the tip.
Glad it made sense. !

For comparison Shelby is trained that she is not allowed on the couch unless the blanket is folded down for her AND someone sits with her and gives her permission to come up “Shelby up”. When it’s time to get down we use “Shelby off”. I never wanted her on the furniture but this was a compromise with my wife since she likes to snuggle with her during TV time.

I can leave her alone in the living room all day and she will not jump onto any couch or chair unless the above happens.

So not to brag or anything just ti show it’s possible to get what you’re after with the right approach and consistency.

serviceguy

Glad it made sense. !

For comparison Shelby is trained that she is not allowed on the couch unless the blanket is folded down for her AND someone sits with her and gives her permission to come up “Shelby up”. When it’s time to get down we use “Shelby off”. I never wanted her on the furniture but this was a compromise with my wife since she likes to snuggle with her during TV time.

I can leave her alone in the living room all day and she will not jump onto any couch or chair unless the above happens.

So not to brag or anything just ti show it’s possible to get what you’re after with the right approach and consistency.
That is great, problem is I'm afraid both me and my wife lack the patience to follow through...we'll see!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You definitely want to discourage any sort of territorial or possessive behavior before it becomes ingrained. Our Luna, who's otherwise a doll, starting growling and hoarding whenever we gave her an antler to chew. It was interesting that she would only do it with that particular treat. We stopped giving them to her as the easiest solution and never had an issue since. So it might be just that one thing to deal with. I do like the advice @iman29 offered which is simple and (should be) effective.
Luck!

BPaze

You definitely want to discourage any sort of territorial or possessive behavior before it becomes ingrained. Our Luna, who's otherwise a doll, starting growling and hoarding whenever we gave her an antler to chew. It was interesting that she would only do it with that particular treat. We stopped giving them to her as the easiest solution and never had an issue since. So it might be just that one thing to deal with. I do like the advice @iman29 offered which is simple and (should be) effective.
Luck!
IDK what it is about those antlers, but it was the only thing my dogs would fight over and I know a bunch of other people with the same thing. They love those antlers.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh yea look into pet health insurance. I have never done it and wish I did. My father always did it and has saved a fortune.

yes this 100000X we have coverage on both our dogs, it has a low deductible ($200 iirc) then covers 90% of anything they need. Based on the math we did its a little more expensive out of pocket when things are going good and they have no problems, but as soon as anything pops up you win, big.

p.s. it also covered nuetering for both of them, so we are WAY in the green on the payments over their lives.

iman29

The introductory session with the trainer was great, boy we're doing things wrong around here. But it's good to know the bad behavior (both ours and Bailey's) can be corrected and we can enjoy years of fun together...
Good to hear. This is usually how the first session goes as you get a better understanding on what you should and shouldn’t do to get the dogs behaviors and obedience on the same page.

I always tell the folks I help train simply this. The dog will be in your family for hopefully many years. Taking 3-6 months (just a random estimate) to establish a good foundation of behaviors and obedience is a short time in comparison. The payback is when the things you expect the dog to do just come naturally.

We had 15 people here for Thanksgiving and no one could believe my dog was 10 feet away laying in her bed in the living room asleep and not under the table begging for food scraps. To me that’s my payback (along with all the snuggles and kisses of course. !)

ekuhn

Oh yea look into pet health insurance. I have never done it and wish I did. My father always did it and has saved a fortune.
Who are you using? The vet kinda talked us out of it originally, but after the last 24hr vet bill, I need to look into it.

BPaze

Who are you using? The vet kinda talked us out of it originally, but after the last 24hr vet bill, I need to look into it.
We haven't used anyone, but next dog I am sure we will. I haven't researched any yet probably gonna be a while before we get another dog.

ekuhn

We haven't used anyone, but next dog I am sure we will. I haven't researched any yet probably gonna be a while before we get another dog.
Any idea who your dad used? That should have been the question.

Top Bottom