Post Your Doggo [woof]

serviceguy

She sounds really good, no big issues to fix and already has some manners. Cute, too! Definitely see the vet for dental, really shouldn't have that bad a breath. She'll fill in as she goes, just feed her as normal. Hard to say her age but yeah 50lbs looks more feasible than 75. Food oriented is great, makes timing meals easier and helps training. Sounds like you got a winner!
She's a winner, in our hearts for sure! Seeing the vet today, finally! After we started feeding her and gave her some dental treats the breath has actually gone already, just need to give her the shots so we can see the trainer on the 28th. If anything she's guilty of loving us already, she gets excited when I come back home or she's been running a little and gets mouthy, I don't really mind but I understand we need to correct the behavior. I never been too much into teaching tricks to dogs just for the sake of it, kind of makes me sad like when my parents took me to the circus 'because I loved animals' and I couldn't stop thinking about the sadness on those poor animals performing 'for the kids'...I don't think I was even 10 yo, never went back after...but I digress.

Ah, and she's 62 lbs as of a couple days ago.

Last edited:

ekuhn

Fun filled Christmas Weekend. My aunt and uncle were staying with us, and brought their 11 year old equally sized, border collie, Gracie up with them. Our Pup constantly wanted to play, Gracie did, but not always. Only picture I took on my phone. We left them alone Christmas Eve and they didn't destroy the house, so it was a win. They both became fans of tugging ropes and toys.

IMG_5992.jpeg

Fast Forward to Christmas Morning. I take Layla out at 5:30a and I see in the distance a white thing. I didn't have my contacts in or glasses on, but she kept looking at it. Layla pees, and then he comes closer and Layla starts sniffing him, I tell her to go inside, she does, and he follows. I couldn't leave the pup outside...prolly was there all night. I then have to wake my fiancé up and tell her this is not a drill, and I didn't surprise her with a puppy for Christmas. We kept him in the bathroom just cause we weren't sure what would happen. Gave him some food and some water. Not sure if he was a Husky Puppy or a more full grown Shibu something or other.

My Uncle named him Scooter and he was the best behaved in the house, not a peep and just laid there. She put a message up on Town FB page, tons of hits and likes and someone responded that the Shelter would be open, as we hoped there was a chip and they could scan it. We take off around 10a and check with the two neighbors first who we know have dogs - one of which had kids from out of town in for the holiday. Our second stop was successful and Nova was returned to his rightful owner and she was very excited to have him back. Very nice well behaved pooch!

IMG_5986.jpeg

ebarker9

Bailey's growing an attitude, now every time mommy is getting up from her favorite chair she jumps on it and needs to be pulled off of it...she did the same yesterday with the couch. Really looking forward to see the trainer tomorrow...

I'm not a dog trainer, but I'd suggest training the behavior that you want using positive reinforcement, probably in the form of lots of treats. "Go to bed" is a pretty common action to train that you can look up that would work well here. We did that with our dog early on and now I just have to glance at it and he heads over there until I release him. I use it when I'm feeding him so that he's not harassing me the whole time. So, rather than teach her to not go up on the chair (which will be a serious challenge), teach her to go to her bed/sit/wait/whatever behavior you want each time your wife gets up.

(Picture of dog in bed for reference)

PXL_20211217_234917169.jpg

serviceguy

I'm not a dog trainer, but I'd suggest training the behavior that you want using positive reinforcement, probably in the form of lots of treats. "Go to bed" is a pretty common action to train that you can look up that would work well here. We did that with our dog early on and now I just have to glance at it and he heads over there until I release him. I use it when I'm feeding him so that he's not harassing me the whole time. So, rather than teach her to not go up on the chair (which will be a serious challenge), teach her to go to her bed/sit/wait/whatever behavior you want each time your wife gets up.

(Picture of dog in bed for reference)

View attachment 174456
That's what we've been doing so far, this seems a new thing that just popped out.

You kind of lost me there, the only behavior I want to teach her is that when my wife gets up from the chair she doesn't immediately jumps on it, why would I want her to go to her bed or anywhere else every time my wife gets up?!?!? If anything she just needs to stay where she is. As she recognizes 'sit' and 'stay' I would say that my wife could just say 'stay' right before getting up and if she doesn't move give her a coupe of treats...makes sense?

iman29

That's what we've been doing so far, this seems a new thing that just popped out.

You kind of lost me there, the only behavior I want to teach her is that when my wife gets up from the chair she doesn't immediately jumps on it, why would I want her to go to her bed or anywhere else every time my wife gets up?!?!? If anything she just needs to stay where she is. As she recognizes 'sit' and 'stay' I would say that my wife could just say 'stay' right before getting up and if she doesn't move give her a coupe of treats...makes sense?
So this is more then I can really explain in a message here but this is referred to as possessive behavior. It’s not hard to fix but it can go wrong quickly if you have to force her off every time with a negative experience ie pull her off. This could result in the dog getting aggressive or even nipping or biting. I will do my best to explain but if you want to have a chat once I am better from this COVID crap let me know.

I order to correct it you need to set her up for success by preventing the behavior or action before she does it. You also need to correct her only when she’s in the act and not after she lands on the chair. It may take several tries and sessions but if I was there I would do something like this :

Have your wife sit in the chair
Have her stand up and start to walk away
As soon as the dog makes a move have her say a firm NO command (not yelling or angry just firm) and block /claim the space. Meaning don’t touch the dog but block her access. I often show people just to make yourself bigger like hands out to the side. Also important to make and maintain eye contact with the dog as this is how they communicate and understand you mean business.
You may need to try this drill several times for bailey to get it.
Once the dog shows she is not moving towards the chair you need to reward her with a small treat and a lot of positivity praise and affection like petting.

This explanation may not translate that well here but I blame COVID for any unclear wording.

ebarker9

Yup, you could certainly do that. I'd just practice for very short durations to start. You want to build routine with successes rather than pushing her to stay for longer periods of time to start. Also, the training that we did had "wait" as a stay command where you could release the dog with a verbal "ok. "Stay" required both touching the dog and giving the "ok" to release. It doesn't really matter, as long as you're consistent and if you're meeting with a trainer I'm sure they'll have a process that they use.

serviceguy

So this is more then I can really explain in a message here but this is referred to as possessive behavior. It’s not hard to fix but it can go wrong quickly if you have to force her off every time with a negative experience ie pull her off. This could result in the dog getting aggressive or even nipping or biting. I will do my best to explain but if you want to have a chat once I am better from this COVID crap let me know.

I order to correct it you need to set her up for success by preventing the behavior or action before she does it. You also need to correct her only when she’s in the act and not after she lands on the chair. It may take several tries and sessions but if I was there I would do something like this :

Have your wife sit in the chair
Have her stand up and start to walk away
As soon as the dog makes a move have her say a firm NO command (not yelling or angry just firm) and block /claim the space. Meaning don’t touch the dog but block her access. I often show people just to make yourself bigger like hands out to the side. Also important to make and maintain eye contact with the dog as this is how they communicate and understand you mean business.
You may need to try this drill several times for bailey to get it.
Once the dog shows she is not moving towards the chair you need to reward her with a small treat and a lot of positivity praise and affection like petting.

This explanation may not translate that well here but I blame COVID for any unclear wording.
It's actually pretty clear. When I had to remove her from the sofa I was afraid she may turn aggressive, I really don't want to do that as she's does have a great temperament, if she were to snap then my wife would go nuts, I may have to get rid of both...J/K

I guess we need to train her not to jump on the sofa/chair at any time then (until we get a bigger sofa that is).

Thanks for the tip.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I guess we need to train her not to jump on the sofa/chair at any time then (until we get a bigger sofa that is).

ill be honest, this is IMO a best practice anyway, if you want them on the couch with you train them to only come up when invited to join you.

we dont allow either of our dogs (or my wifes cat for that matter) on any of the furniture in the house, granted they are just a bit bigger than yours

Top Bottom