Post Your Doggo [woof]

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Oh darn she looks so sad.

I will second the inflatable pillow thing. in fact for 3 weeks before Shelby got fixed I taught her a command to "Put it on" and "take it off" just for that purpose. We had her wearing it around the house before she got the surgery to get used to it. I know this doesnt help much now but the pillow is much more comfortable for them. Now we use that command to put the collar and leash on and off. works well.

I did spend the first 2 nights basically sleeping on the floor with her for most of the days out of guilt too... hope she recovers quick!

kdebello

We got Bailey spayed when she was 7 months old and already pretty big. The first day/night she slept in her crate and didn't move except to eat and when she had to go. At first, she couldn't figure out how to get up the stairs with the cone, so we had to carry her up while trying not to hurt her incision. She was a trooper though and didn't complain once. After a few days, she didn't even seem bothered by it at all.

ekuhn

Marlee got spayed today and is so confused:

View attachment 144396

So we’re experimenting with more fashionable alternatives:

View attachment 144397
We used one of these when she got her lady bits removed. When you take them out to pee you need to fold the flap around like a trap door. Much success with it.

Mare

Oh darn she looks so sad.

I will second the inflatable pillow thing. in fact for 3 weeks before Shelby got fixed I taught her a command to "Put it on" and "take it off" just for that purpose. We had her wearing it around the house before she got the surgery to get used to it. I know this doesnt help much now but the pillow is much more comfortable for them. Now we use that command to put the collar and leash on and off. works well.

I did spend the first 2 nights basically sleeping on the floor with her for most of the days out of guilt too... hope she recovers quick!
Petsmart has the inflatable in stock so I am getting it today!! That's a good tip, having Shelby wear it beforehand. I totally didn't prepare for this, but at least I am quickly learning :)

Marlee got the towel off pretty easily so the cone went back on. She slept standing up last night cause she couldn't figure out how to lie down with it. I tried to help her, but she got feisty and bit me. I am very tired.

How long do you really restrict their activity? She's already getting bored and wants to jump and play. No way she'll relax for 10-14 days!

iman29

Petsmart has the inflatable in stock so I am getting it today!! That's a good tip, having Shelby wear it beforehand. I totally didn't prepare for this, but at least I am quickly learning :)

Marlee got the towel off pretty easily so the cone went back on. She slept standing up last night cause she couldn't figure out how to lie down with it. I tried to help her, but she got feisty and bit me. I am very tired.

How long do you really restrict their activity? She's already getting bored and wants to jump and play. No way she'll relax for 10-14 days!

The first few days is the most important to let the stitches set in. I had taken time off to spend with her those days so we did a lot of time where she would sit curled up on my lap on the floor and I would brush her. Take her on only short walks more frequent. They should have given you some pain killers for the first few days that helped.

Sorry to hear she nipped you just a natural response to being in pain and not feeling well it can happen.

Hopefully the pillow collar she can adjust quickly and figure out how to sleep on it. When you introduce it to her let her check it out before you try to put it on her. Reward her with some treats and then slowly get closer each time actually putting it on. Use the treat on the other side and have her try and get it from your hand so that she has to put her head through it to get the reward.

If you try to jam it on she’s already heightened sensitivity she probably won’t like it.

ebarker9

Definitely tough to deal with a super active dog trying to recover from a surgery. One thing that helped, at least a little, for us when our dog was recovering from a rear leg amputation was, in addition to short walks, doing some basic obedience type training. Or at least the elements that don't cause stress on the stitches. It's another way of burning off some of that crazy energy without risking problems with healing.

Edit: We also moved our mattress out to the living room and slept on the floor with our dog for close to a week. The things we do for these animals...

Mare

Definitely tough to deal with a super active dog trying to recover from a surgery. One thing that helped, at least a little, for us when our dog was recovering from a rear leg amputation was, in addition to short walks, doing some basic obedience type training. Or at least the elements that don't cause stress on the stitches. It's another way of burning off some of that crazy energy without risking problems with healing.

Edit: We also moved our mattress out to the living room and slept on the floor with our dog for close to a week. The things we do for these animals...
I have the feeling I will be sleeping on the floor tonight.

@iman29 I did get a few pain killers and called for a sedative (for me and her 😂 ). Waiting to hear back.

ekuhn

I have the feeling I will be sleeping on the floor tonight.

@iman29 I did get a few pain killers and called for a sedative (for me and her 😂 ). Waiting to hear back.
We slept on the couch that first night with her too. It will get easier and she'll be back to her old self in no time.

iman29

What the???? 🤣
wife gives her a new one like every week.

she loves these things spends hours picking through her bin and chewing on them. most of them have no middle stuff left by now but she will dig around and find one and be happy for like 20 minutes until she wants the next one. They have them at Walmart usually pretty cheap but this is what they are:

Top Bottom