Post Your Doggo [woof]

Mare

I keep forgetting to take pics of Bailey, who we adopted in April. I posted some when we first got her, 9 weeks old and 19 lbs. Now she's a solid 65 lbs and still growing.

Took her to the Watchung Reservation on Saturday. We've been to other places with her but the Res is 2 minutes away and it was later in the day. We figured maybe the crowds would start to go home. Stuck to the fire roads and main trails. She has been very good around other dogs and people. Saturday was a great test of that. The Res ended up being packed and there were more dogs off leash than on. Bailey was very good at sitting and waiting for others to pass. I heard more people yelling up ahead that their dog was friendly, she won't bite. I'm thinking, how the hell do you know my dog, who's a giant compared to your little yipper, is friendly??
Repost puppy pics please cause I didn't see them! And post current!!! :)

I agree with your last comment. I have had 3 dogs charge after us already (2 were giant german shepherds that came charging together) They always say their dog is friendly. I don't care! I just got my dog and I honestly don't know how she will behave. She is afraid, but she also flips out, depending on the situation. I honestly thought she would tear another dog's face off with how she responded initially. How are we supposed to deal with dogs charging us?

pibbles

Repost puppy pics please cause I didn't see them! And post current!!! :)

I agree with your last comment. I have had 3 dogs charge after us already (2 were giant german shepherds that came charging together) They always say their dog is friendly. I don't care! I just got my dog and I honestly don't know how she will behave. She is afraid, but she also flips out, depending on the situation. I honestly thought she would tear another dog's face off with how she responded initially. How are we supposed to deal with dogs charging us?
i don't enjoy doing it but I use halt! its a spray postal workers carry. doesn't kill anything but it makes em think twice about doing it again. if it doesn't work THEN I spray their dog ;)

Mare

i don't enjoy doing it but I use halt! its a spray postal workers carry. doesn't kill anything but it makes em think twice about doing it again. if it doesn't work THEN I spray their dog ;)
Thank you for the tip. I don't want to do anything to another dog cause it's their owner's fault, but I also will not let a dog harm my dog. This is a good backup for sure.

Mare

Shelby learning that the new tree blanket is not HER new blanket.

Spent 10 minutes repeating NO until she laid down and then finally gave up and walked away on her own.

View attachment 144209View attachment 144210
The trainer I had trained me to say "eh eh" instead of no. So I went hiking yesterday and Marlee was not her usual good self. The whole time I was saying eh eh, eh eh, eh eh. I sounded so lame. Marlee won. We are entering the next phase of bad behavior now.

Anyway though---Shelby looks so pretty here!!! Good girl!!

iman29

She’s conditioned to No command so it was just a matter of helping her realize it’s not hers. She got it once she gave up and went to lay on her dog bed instead and went to sleep. 👍🏻🐶

MMuller

2 years ago today, after the sudden unexpected loss of our 11 year old Ziggy, we randomly agreed to go to SPCA after Cindy got out of work to just look at the dogs with no intention of getting one. We sorta agreed that the pain of loss had us deciding against any more pets. Indeed, it was kind of wild with barking, jumping, mostly Pitbull type dogs. We decide to get the heck out and go through the last room to exit. There, sitting quietly, we saw our dog. I go to the cage and he walks over and licks my hand. No drama, crazy jumping barking. Cindy comes in the room. I notice I'm wearing a brown shirt and she's wearing her brown coat and boots that match the dog exactly.

So Jaco, named for it being the birthday of my favorite musician Jaco Pastorius, rescued us. We've had wonderful dogs all our lives, but this one is beyond special in personality, intelligence and temperament. He was around 9 months when we got him, and somehow totally housebroken, never chewed anything, never aggressive. So lucky and can't imagine our lives without him, especially given the current pandemic situation. Happy anniversary Jaco and see you all walking in the woods. (Pictured here when we got him.)

20190106_110828.jpg

Watch video taken last week where you can see how intelligent he is by how focused he is on the riveting dialogue, and how much he appreciates fine music on the @Carson mandolin! Same shirt I had on when we got him too!

Last edited:

Mare

@Mare45 get one of these https://www.amazon.com/Flips-Pet-Re...+collar&qid=1606859790&sr=8-8&tag=googhydr-20

worked much better for our dogs when they were nuetered, not nearly as disorienting as the cone was (keep in mind ours looked like walking satellite dishes with the cones on, at 100lbs of dog when they were old enough :O )
Ok, I'll order that! Thank you! For now the towel at least lets her lie down. Before she was nearly falling from the anesthesia, but trying to stand up cause the cone was confusing!

Your satellites are so cute :)

Mare

Poor thing! When Luna got spayed, oh my god. She didn't mind the cone of shame but never adapted to it. She was twice the "bull in a china shop" than normal. It was kinda funny but sad too.
Heal up soon!
Twice the bull in a china shop 🤣

As soon as I got her home, I said I don't want to adopt again unless this is done first! It breaks my heart to see them like this, but in 2 weeks we'll resume normal, high-strung activities.

iman29

Ok, I'll order that! Thank you! For now the towel at least lets her lie down. Before she was nearly falling from the anesthesia, but trying to stand up cause the cone was confusing!

Your satellites are so cute :)
Oh darn she looks so sad.

I will second the inflatable pillow thing. in fact for 3 weeks before Shelby got fixed I taught her a command to "Put it on" and "take it off" just for that purpose. We had her wearing it around the house before she got the surgery to get used to it. I know this doesnt help much now but the pillow is much more comfortable for them. Now we use that command to put the collar and leash on and off. works well.

I did spend the first 2 nights basically sleeping on the floor with her for most of the days out of guilt too... hope she recovers quick!

Top Bottom