Post Your Doggo [woof]

rlb

Screenshot_20200821-203445.png

This is the "I'm bored because I've been locked on the deck all day after getting skunked" look, taken 2 weeks ago.

We had been going for morning walks first thing, ~5:15, and with the waning daylight that put us out just before twilight. With that, we had 3 skunk sightings earlier in the week, 2 of which were in our driveway. So I was being a bit more cautious before letting her off the leash after the walks, but apparently I wasn't cautious enough that morning.

Once we got into the yard I gave a quick look around then unleashed her. She instantly made a beeline to the corner of the yard and I knew what was up before I even got the flashlight pointed over there. When I got some light on them, I saw the skunk with my dogs jaws around its neck. They tussled a bit, and then separated and I saw the skunk's tail pointing straight up so I knew what was next. The only thing I could think to do was chuck my flashlight at them (I sure as hell wasn't going over there). A few seconds later she came trotting back to me and the smell hit me when she was about 5 feet away. It made me instantly gag, not sure how I didn't yak.

So what do you do? Apparently time is of the essence in bathing after getting sprayed. I used the peroxide/baking soda/dish soap method mentioned here within 20 minutes and I think that helped a lot. I couldn't take the day off, but I managed to break away around noon to pick up some Natures Miracle skunk odor remover. It was about 6 hours between being sprayed and the second bath, but I think the combo methods worked well. She got a lot in the face, which I couldn't really wash well, so that was the biggest source of lingering odor. But by dinner time I let he back in the house. She wasn't totally odorless, but it wasn't to the point of stinking up the house.

The natures miracle was really thin (like water) so I went through a whole bottle in one bath. I headed back to a different store for more, but came back with De-skunk odor destroying shampoo. This stuff is an actual shampoo so it's thick and was much easier to work with, especially around her snout. After the second bath things were much better, but she still had a stinky snout. I think it may have been much more effective immediately afterward.

2 weeks later and her snout barely smells, but it's still there (gotta get really up close and personal). Going forward, these will be products that I keep on hand. I have a feeling this wont be the last time....

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I was expecting more dog posts here on National Dog Day. :)
Here’s a picture of 14 yo Jezebel relaxing in the yard This past March. Jezebel helped route the tighter sections of the PBT and had joined the crew on several work days in the early years.
A21A7F1D-6F3E-4542-B078-AE1FA8B5951A.jpeg

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We have that squirrel and its cousin which is the same but fuzzier/furrier
It’s like doggy crack.
He can’t get enough.

I’m guessing yours is real sized though. ;)

RobW

Shameless plug- check out Loving Pets for all of your training treats, Dental sticks, and edible bone for your pups. All American made products right here in Central (yes it’s a thing) NJ. We have weekly give-a-ways on IG. Please give us some love and shop on our site. Not only do we make our brand but we make the private label for the major pet stores and monthly box subscriptions! You can count on it being quality because all ingredients are human grade products!

RobW

yeah what’s up with that.

I thought it was international dog day but Shelby wouldn’t know the difference.

she has about 30 of these chew bones around the house this orange colored one is the flavor of the moment.
We
View attachment 138027
Careful with that brown barbell. It’s 3-4th generation melt cycle. Inspect the insides and look for small holes.

RobW

Sorry don’t follow ? Something wrong with those ?
I used to handle that project when this bone came out. It’s regrind and has a few melt cycles to it. The more melt cycles the weaker the Plastic gets. Just keep an eye out with it.

rlb

Anyone have luck with a dog leash for bikes? Looking for something that can quick release (cam lever or similar) and also not $2500

rlb

Anyone have luck with a dog leash for bikes? Looking for something that can quick release (cam lever or similar) and also not $2500

Took her for a few laps around the block using the "hand free" leash (i.e. waist belt). Actually went pretty well, once she got used to it. The first few hundred feet were a but tense but she quickly caught on. Got a little squirrely (no pun intended) each time she saw a squirrel, but as she tired out that became less of a problem.

Mission accomplished, though she's in my seat
IMG_20200906_204424.jpg

Top Bottom