Post Your 'Cross Bike

TedH

IF Steel Planet X SS

Just got it repainted with Meteorite Metallic Silver flames over black gloss. Very happy with it. Photos from Anthony at HVCX.

TedH

64cm frame with a 58cm TT (I have really stupid proportions). But it does allow me to go custom without pushback from the Mrs (who also enjoys her custom road bike).

Best comment was by a vertically challenged colleague of mine "what's with the 650's?"

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Ok I'll play too..

2010 Cannondale Cadd 9 w/ Easton Carbon cross fork

Si Alloy cranks
Rotor rings
Sram Force ders and Rival Shifters
Hudz from Fred
FSA SLK Bars
1994 Syncros Ti post
Ritchey 4 axis stem
SMP Glider Saddle
mid 90's XT Canti brakes (Anyone have some XTR's..Besides Chris G)
DT 340 Hubs w/Reflex Tubulars
Vittoria Tubies
KMC Gold Chain
Fizik fat tape

I like this bike

Attachments

• 680588806_tXaGB-L.jpg
    680588806_tXaGB-L.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 378
  • 680613031_dmFd4-L.jpg
    680613031_dmFd4-L.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 381
  • 675040313_bCM9b-L.jpg
    675040313_bCM9b-L.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

jdog

Shop Keep
64cm frame with a 58cm TT (I have really stupid proportions). But it does allow me to go custom without pushback from the Mrs (who also enjoys her custom road bike).

Best comment was by a vertically challenged colleague of mine "what's with the 650's?"

Hey Ted!

What gearing are you running on that bike??

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
wow, that is a big one.

I don't have a real cross bike yet, but I have requested one from my shop. If they can find me a 49, perhaps I'll be able to pass my whole bike through TedH bikes front triangle.

This is what I used last Saturday:

678431671_fGwJX-S.jpg

TedH

I think that head tube is bigger than my top tube :D

27cm to be exact. My road bike is worse (30 or so) and requires the alpha q Z series fork as I can't use a standard fork with 330 length.

My geared cx bike has an ungodly number of spacers such that the spacer police have contacted Interpol about me. :)

jdog

Shop Keep
I run either 38x16 or 36x16 depending. The 38 was the wrong choice for HV for sure. Will try 38 again at Wissahickon this weekend since it is flatter.

I love the ss 29er so I am thinking that the SS on the cross might be fun too. :hmmm:

TedH

I love the ss 29er so I am thinking that the SS on the cross might be fun too. :hmmm:

I haven't done MTB SS, but CX seems to be harder to get the "right gear" as it's so course dependent. I did SS the whole first season on 36x16 and hated one part of every course because I was hitting the purple zone on some hill and then spinning out and getting dropped on the flats. In 2007, I did SS nats and similar, I would've killed for a 38, but my pre-ride was so slow on the frozen tundra there, that I underestimated race pace. Would've loved a 36 at HV.

Given my lack of racing this year (and new paint!), I'm going to do more SS. It removes the gearing factor, and to me is more fun, but also is a good leg strength/speed workout. With my geared bike I race, with my SS, I go hard. Hard to explain, but I don't get as competitive with my SS.

Plus the ride is awesome. Everytime I ride it, I wonder why I don't ride it more.

Top Bottom