post your century rides.

liong71er

almost 200 miles (sigh..)

never again i'm going for a long rides without adequate hours of sleeping.
the night before,my neighbor was having cumpleano fiesta they live right upstair in the same apt building.with the loud music they put on i have to endure every minutes of stay awake (my eyes closed but my ear aren't) so basicly i stay awake the whole night till morning.
and it certainly doing damage to my riding performance.not only,..aren't able to produce enough energy to stay afloat on flats with steady pace that i desire but also i most suffering on every climbs that stand in my way in every directions..speaking of irony and agony try this for 16hrs riding with lack of rest.ok,.enough excuse!

wife went to work.me went for bike ride.
we both leave together but with different purpose.start at 4:16am i'm heading south on CR 507 just a few 1000ft from my apartment door.
within 1 hrs i'm already in suffern,and for the next 5hrs i didn't stop at all (except for taking pics or peeing) at around 10:am i was walking a steep climbs towards sam's point rd.an old gents was doing reparing on his truck informed me that no bikes are allowed in ice cave area (wich is my destination,to see ice cave there) alas..i turn around and made detour towards minnewaska state park.

bikingpics2011841.jpg

this pic taken after descending from top of sam's point Rd.

the 44 and 55 state route was kind enough with cyclist,almost entirely lenght of this highway has wide shoulder altho some area not so wide but still leaving plenty of room for cyclist to ride on.
i forgot to mentioned...county roads in new york are the best back roads ever, comparing to NJ or PA new york so far so good.
and trully is,.the catskill region is no jokes with their mountain range back roads.
bikingpics2011846.jpg

bikingpics2011843.jpg

bikingpics2011850.jpg

bikingpics2011868.jpg

"test your driving skill here.free of charge"

now,..the next stage is x-ing the hudson river.
from 9w to mid-hudson bridge was only 2 miles on this part of 9w (not the one from fort lee to bear mountain) the roads condition was'n so great for roadies.i remember christina (racerchicks) posting her ride x-ing this bridge.
so,..i finally standing on it,yesterday.it is very beautifull up there.it was so crowds with locals and tourist flocking the pedestrian bridge and it also has rail trail that only 4miles long.
bikingpics2011897.jpg

mid-hudson pedestrian bridge in poughkeepsie.

continuing,..after made my way crossing those amazing enginering marvel.
my next stage was taking NY bike route 9..this route is very easy to navigate
route sign is well marked ahead,so i have no trouble at all following it.

luckily it is all going down from here (not really tho..) at this moments i was so exhausted,i didn't even bother to find something to eat just as i would normally.so i just kept on going.
met 2 guys in their 50th who's riding from maine-florida. didn't had a chance to get more information coz we're all was in a hurry.
at around 6:20pm i was in nyack stoping to eat instant cup noodles.the warm soupie from this cheap meal make my tummy a lil happy.
in the end all i have was, 2 avocado with 1 yogurt,6 GU and 1 instant noodles
2 apples,1 donut.any,..hardcore cyclist will know that i'm certaintly not have enough foods/energy for this rides.
but..it ain't.it may seem less but actually works for me.

altho i may not reach my goal.
but all the rides that i did was simply having fun and to go places that i'ved never been to also to wasting my wonderfull time on my bike and the passion that i loves so much.
should i do this again?
maybe yes and maybe not..
but yesterday was simply "dumb" riding bikes without/proper rest is really dumb.i would never doing it again.

total 198 miles..aiming for 200miles.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/117229388

Last edited:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
My Hero!!

bikingpics2011868.jpg

"test your driving skill here.free of charge"
I can't tell if your lens added anything to the curve on this road because it looks exactly the same as I remember it. That is one hairpin turn!

in the end all i have was, 2 avocado with 1 yogurt,6 GU and 1 instant noodles
2 apples,1 donut.any,..hardcore cyclist will know that i'm certaintly not have enough foods/energy for this rides.
but..it ain't.it may seem less but actually works for me.
Seems about right to me.;) I've learned that it's just because you don't realize how much it compromises you.

riding bikes without/proper rest is really dumb.i would never doing it again.
Until next time, I hope. :D

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Liong, you should have pedaled out to Allamuchy today. We had a ton of food at the picnic to help refuel your ride.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Looks like a great ride. I especially like the part from mile 60 to 100.:D

Did you end up doing this solo or with the group?

liong71er

did you charge your 705 during the ride at all? or did it last through the whole thing?

yes,i have a external batery pack that i bring along.
so,.when unit has reached 13hrs mark.soon..i plug in external batery pack for another extended hrs (around 20hrs)

martin

thank you, i have the 800 but i'll check and see... I'm guessing it will be a regular mini usb jack with a battery pack attached to it somehow...

liong71er

1st century in january 2012...

Two hrs into my ride the front light batery died,ever since i pick up this lights from montclair bikery in montclair i haven't yet charging them.so..then i changed my plan A to plan X wich is not a plan.
i was trying to ride up into 17a then cutting to 23 climbing to high point then after that descending to port jervis and then eventualy into PA by taking route 209 and then x-ing back via columbia-portland pedestrian bridge into NJ and finaly riding down on 46 to clifton,however since i'ved neglegted a simple task wich is charging my new badass lights those plan must be abandoned for next ressurection to come. the light is from a local company based in new jersey http://www.mklites.com it's very afordable price and it has 900 lumins very suffice for either trails or road riding.

now back to my rides..
tempt this morning was in the range 30s but it get colder when riding next to lakes or river.from the spot where my lights was out it was almost sunrise
riding in the winter at country side is truly delighfull,it is quite.no noise from animal kingdom only wind blowing passed my ear.
few cars passed me only with half hours part.
when i reached long meadow roads the sun was alreadypeeking thru hill behind me.

climbing route 106 wich has been closed for several month from last year due to huricane irene it is now open for puclic.
this roads has steep grade ranging from 4%-8% and its way more fun descending it rather than ascending.
but watch for few rough pathcy surface as of the park have budget difficulty.
i remember,.around 5 yrs ago when i start riding around seven lakes drive and beyond those park area.
the pavement was sparkling and smooth like porcelain surface.
but,.now all those glory ar seem to fade away,hopefully thing get much better

now,.one thing that some cyclist may not know or realize when they trying to get to bear mountain or perkins drive or from bear mountain to seven lakes/lake tiorati/arden valley rd.
when i reached roundabout between palisade parkway and route 6 many cyclist just blow passed it.those couple hundreds feet to exit 19 towards bear mountain and perkins drive was still apart of palisades highway system
wich mean no bike allowed to ride in that short section.
so,.i walk my bike to get to exit 19.
and my hunch was right,.6minutes walking from corner of my eyes i notice park police was awaiting my move,he was trying to catch me in the act.
but,.i already prepare so i'm safe.

the perkins drive is 2mile long with 6%-13% grade it took me 12 minutes grinding up those climbs
i was the only cyclist up there at around 9am.
the vending machine is out as i was trying to get some water up there.
going down..
saw two cyclist on their way up
and many more on 9w
and whole lot more in nyack and so on...

suddenly i feel lack of energy and hungry
13mph is the fastest i go..i'm doom.
don't know why? this morning i was ok
but now?not anymore..

finally made it to fort lee.
korean foods to the rescue.
order two order (foods for two people) i ate them at once:D

only 105 miles.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/140084897

Attachments

• DSCN0395.jpg
    DSCN0395.jpg