Possibly relocating. Looking for opinions.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
My wife and I decided to sell our house. Great, right?! We accepted a cash offer 10% over asking with ability to rent back until xmas. Well, long story short, it sucks trying to buy a house now. Inventory is shit. Prices are shit. Ultimately I am a bit burned out at my job, my area down the shore(Hazlet) is really one of the only places I want to be in Jersey. That is changing as the plethora of NYC scum is killing the vibe, the traffic blows etc. Looking to relocate.
Where to relocate? Do we go back to Hunterdon/Somerset county and commute a hair further to Newark? Do we move to the Frederick, MD area? My sister in law lives there, my wife's parents are relocating to NC/SC and it's about the same distance to my Pa house. I like the idea of NC other than I really don't want more heat and humidity. Looking in Walkersville, New Market, Westminster areas around Frederick. Can commute to Baltimore/DC if need be or hopefully find employment in Hagerstown/Frederick. We have enough money saved to rent a bit.
I am all about change now. Yea, I have a high paying Union job in which I am vested but I have 3 years of medical banked up so no need to stress there right away. I don't wanna say midlife crisis but I kinda want to get rid of the NJ anchor that has held me down for 44 years. Send your thoughts/ideas my way. Oh, and USAC Marathon nats being at Gambrill Park this year kinda makes me like MD even more.

If NC is your choice and you don't want the heat then move to greater Ashville area. Temperate zone is the same as NJ. If your a beach person then this will probably be too far out from that.
Just know that if you chose Brevard area that it will rain almost daily which is why you want to live at the northern part of Pisgah. Otherwise I'd skip NC because once you roll off the mountains it's hot AF and Florida flat. Tennessee because state income tax and if your a beachy then Delaware because same.

There is still some NJ spots with half way decent taxes both warren and Sussex county's but that puts you with an hour commute to Newark.

Good luck...

The coast in NC/SC is amazing....but not much riding. Like @mattybfat said the Asheville area is cool if you are looking for mountain town living. LOTS of riding out that way.

West Somerset County or Hunterdon County. Stay close, but not to close to 78 as you can and then its a straight shot to Newark. Get a Honda Civic as a beater an do 85 to work in the middle lane.

How do you think the kids would fair with the move?

West Somerset County or Hunterdon County. Stay close, but not to close to 78 as you can and then its a straight shot to Newark. Get a Honda Civic as a beater an do 85 to work in the middle lane.

How do you think the kids would fair with the move?
We have talked to them about it. I think they will be ok.

Watch your taxes with North Carolina. I know everyone complains about NJ taxes, but in some circumstances your overall effective tax rate can INCREASE going from NJ to NC. I looked into a move not too long ago because I had a job offer and I would have ended up paying 3%a year more in taxes overall.

Back
Top Bottom