Port Jervis Watershed

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Man this place is awesome. First thing that comes to mind is chimney rock on steroids. Chock full of chunk. Really good trail build going on up there and good use of steep terrain, also very SS friendly. This was my second time here, pretty easy to follow the TF app and the labeled trails was another good attribute. I was too worn out to even swing by the PT...

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Some of the more vulnerable trails in PJ have been marked as closed. The trail builders have asked that people will heed these closures and wait till the trails dry out.

This is especially important when you are using strava and the local trail builders see that you are ignoring their closures..

12534F53-CF83-4EF7-8B6A-D716BA4750FB.jpeg
D899D61E-1057-4E1F-9FA7-C7C29AADB065.jpeg
B3F1F286-DD03-4A05-ADE5-83D88E3FA6C2.jpeg

Last edited:

jdog

Shop Keep
That pump track is awesome. Best one I've ever been on and I've been on 2 (including this one) :D
Just figure it out before you go crazy on it. I know two people who have been badly hurt on this track.

One nearly died. She crashed and her brake lever punctured her body and severed a main artery. She nearly bled to death. True story.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Just figure it out before you go crazy on it. I know two people who have been badly hurt on this track.

One nearly died. She crashed and her brake lever punctured her body and severed a main artery. She nearly bled to death. True story.
Is there something unusual about that particular track or is it just the nature of pump tracks in general?

jdog

Shop Keep
Is there something unusual about that particular track or is it just the nature of pump tracks in general?

This one is super fast for sure. If you’ve only ridden dirt, this seems way faster at first. Asphalt is also far less forgiving than dirt when you fall on it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This one is super fast for sure. If you’ve only ridden dirt, this seems way faster at first. Asphalt is also far less forgiving than dirt when you fall on it.

From the sounds of it she fell on her brake lever, which is indifferent about the ground surface. I mean, unless you're saying they've mounted brake levers in the pavement, which would be bad, I agree.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
From the sounds of it she fell on her brake lever, which is indifferent about the ground surface. I mean, unless you're saying they've mounted brake levers in the pavement, which would be bad, I agree.
Hey I placed a brake lever in my thigh at the now defunct Alexandria pump track once.
SSC_0120_zps717b677e.jpg

mtbiker87

Got a brake lever through the back of my leg at Wayway years ago. Injuries are not surface, or track specific. Sorry to hear about this rider's misfortune, as I found out last year how sucky getting laid low by a serious injury can be, but to insinuate that this track's layout is somehow responsible is a bit unfair. I can probably sight several areas that could kill someone at 6mile, but wouldnt make a post like that about it. In this day and age of over litigation, and trail closures, do you really think that's a fair, or even nessassary statement ?

jdog

Shop Keep
Got a brake lever through the back of my leg at Wayway years ago. Injuries are not surface, or track specific. Sorry to hear about this rider's misfortune, as I found out last year how sucky getting laid low by a serious injury can be, but to insinuate that this track's layout is somehow responsible is a bit unfair. I can probably sight several areas that could kill someone at 6mile, but wouldnt make a post like that about it. In this day and age of over litigation, and trail closures, do you really think that's a fair, or even nessassary statement ?
I think it should be respected and recognized a powerful force. When I was there I saw some parents dropping their young kids there unsupervised. Respect and education can go a long way to keeping this great resource open. I wouldn't say that this layout is more or less dangerous than any other PT. In the two cases of severe injury form this PT, one was a very accomplished rider and the other a novice. One had 30 day on the track and the other just a few. People have been life flighted out of 6mr too.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The worst bike crash/injury that I've ever had was at the West Milford pump track. The second worst was at the Tourne. I'm not sure about the third, but it might have been Lewis Morris.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The worst bike crash/injury that I've ever had was at the West Milford pump track. The second worst was at the Tourne. I'm not sure about the third, but it might have been Lewis Morris.

mine were both at 6MR - cased a double into superman, then sack of potato bounces - no roll on that one. and an OTB auger
that put me in a neck brace, and still feel it from 5ish years ago.

i think J was making the point that it may have a different feel because it is paved. try not to full send it on the first loop.

mtbiker87

ALL trails, tracks, and parks should be respected. Not to do so invites bad things to happen. I've witnessed what you describe as well, parents dropping kids off unattended, no safety equipment, no thought to what might happen. Also witnessed more experienced riders not taking even small tracks like West Milford seriously, that is...untill they end up on thier ass. But anyone who doesn't respect the fact that you can end up in the hospital anytime you throw a leg over your top tube, is in for a rude awakening at some point. You can only lead 'em to the water right ? I'm not sure anyone on this board should need one of us to tell them any of this.

jdog

Shop Keep
ALL trails, tracks, and parks should be respected. Not to do so invites bad things to happen. I've witnessed what you describe as well, parents dropping kids off unattended, no safety equipment, no thought to what might happen. Also witnessed more experienced riders not taking even small tracks like West Milford seriously, that is...untill they end up on thier ass. But anyone who doesn't respect the fact that you can end up in the hospital anytime you throw a leg over your top tube, is in for a rude awakening at some point. You can only lead 'em to the water right ? I'm not sure anyone on this board should need one of us to tell them any of this.
You'd be surprised.

Top Bottom