Pondering...

xc62701

Just thinking of a riding option and looking for some advice. I saw the White Clay thread and that place looks like a blast. Is it a different system then the Fair Hills trails? If so how far away is it? I'm thinking like a 2 day adventure with camping or a cheap hotel overnight. Is there camping or a hotel/motel nearby? Is there enough riding to keep busy for 3-4 hours each day?

Mare

They are very close to each other (like spitting distance) and there is plenty of riding to keep you busy. You will love both of them - fast, flowy, single speed friendly (although not for me yet - I still need gears at them). I am lacking details for you in this post, but I am enthusiastic and giving the thumbs up on such a trip.

xc62701

Well the idea is to maybe do this over the Turkey Day weekend. Maybe a Friday/Saturday trip, or a Saturday/Sunday Trip. Depending on weather of course. Does anybody know about the lodging details? These trails are outside of Newark DE right? If so I know I've stayed at some cheaper motels in the Elkton MD area that is right down the road. Plus there's a Waffle house to raid at 2 in the morning and get thrown out of...

Also are the trails easy to find? Just stop at a LBS to grab a map? Or is everything signed and easy to find your way?

Mare

Well the idea is to maybe do this over the Turkey Day weekend. Maybe a Friday/Saturday trip, or a Saturday/Sunday Trip. Depending on weather of course. Does anybody know about the lodging details? These trails are outside of Newark DE right? If so I know I've stayed at some cheaper motels in the Elkton MD area that is right down the road. Plus there's a Waffle house to raid at 2 in the morning and get thrown out of...

Also are the trails easy to find? Just stop at a LBS to grab a map? Or is everything signed and easy to find your way?

I don't know about lodging, but yes, just outside Newark, DE (go to Sweet N Sassy Cupcakes http://www.sweetnsassycupcakes.com/ Unless I am missing something, they have done a wonderful job neglecting to mark Fair Hills trails. Maps are available somewhere - they were selling them at the recent jamboree - call LBS and ask their advice and hammer out some details before you go there and waste valuable riding time hammering out the details.

Glancing Aft

I would suggest for fair hill to hook up with a local to show you around. Post up on Delaware Trail spinners and try to get a tour going. Reason I say this is because the trail map doesn't have some of the good stuff on it (like south park) and my first time there I spent way too much wondering around on fields. However I was there the other week for the jamboree and loved it.

lmckee

Go figure, the weekend you'll be riding my local trails I'll be with family in NJ. I would of been glad to show you around. As far as lodging is concerned White Clay is only about 15min off of I95 so lodging is plentiful. I used to live about 30 seconds away from the waffle house and hotels you speak of in Elkton and they are about 15 minutes from White Clay. You should be able to find something closer though. As far as places to ride are concerned if the white clay/middle run trail system begins to run thin (which it shouldn't) you always have fair hill and iron hill both about 15 minutes away. Heres a link for the best map of the white clay/middle run trail system. http://www.kencox.net/?page_id=29 I usually park at the possum hollow road entrance in middle run and work from there.

frickster

I can't find the White Clay thread mentioned above -- can somebody point me to it? Saw the map and it looks awesome. Any directions posted?

xc62701

Go figure, the weekend you'll be riding my local trails I'll be with family in NJ. I would of been glad to show you around. As far as lodging is concerned White Clay is only about 15min off of I95 so lodging is plentiful. I used to live about 30 seconds away from the waffle house and hotels you speak of in Elkton and they are about 15 minutes from White Clay. You should be able to find something closer though. As far as places to ride are concerned if the white clay/middle run trail system begins to run thin (which it shouldn't) you always have fair hill and iron hill both about 15 minutes away. Heres a link for the best map of the white clay/middle run trail system. http://www.kencox.net/?page_id=29 I usually park at the possum hollow road entrance in middle run and work from there.

That's ok if the trails are good enough I'll be back down and you can give the "official" tour ;)

I can't believe it's so close to where I used to be A LOT. That map is great, I'll use that for sure. I didn't see south park on there? Is that a secret local trail? Are there any online maps of Fair Hills?

xc62701

Sweet I just found a closer inexpensive hotel that's probably 10 mins from either park. Now if the weather will cooperate...

Glancing Aft

I was just seeing if you were paying attention...:rolleyes:

sureeee. wish I could join you for this, but I'll be in Jersey that weekend doing family stuff and hopefully skiing.

BTW, mods, maybe you should move this post into the "other areas" forum :rofl:

Top Bottom