Poison Ivy Relief

ization

I've had poison ivy a few times and found the best relief is to use a 5/1 mix of warm water/bleach to remove the ivy oils once I notice them. After that, didn't have a need to use any lotions/creams.

I Ride Bikes

Might have to give them a try. OTC products dont usually work for me. I always need a prescription. But if they work its better than a trip to the doctor.

skaterqwertyuiop

The Tecnu wash has saved me a lot. It makes poison ivy so much more tolerable. For me the itch goes away within 10 seconds of using it. I just have to keep using it when it starts to itch again.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
The Tecnu wash has saved me a lot. It makes poison ivy so much more tolerable. For me the itch goes away within 10 seconds of using it. I just have to keep using it when it starts to itch again.

+1 here. Tecnu works really well -- after longer rides, I use it to wash up afterward even if I'm not sure if I touched poison ivy.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
+1 here. Tecnu works really well -- after longer rides, I use it to wash up afterward even if I'm not sure if I touched poison ivy.

Yup Tecnu is the stuff. The trick is to wash with it even if you just think you saw poison ivy near the trail. Don't wait for the rash. Then it's too late.

Chris(NJ)

Thankfully I've kinda outgrown poison ivy...I used to get it REALLY bad. Can also vouch for tecnu since I've used that, but if I manage to ever get this shit again, I'll definitely give the zanfel a try

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
My wife just got me a new product, (IVAREST) medicated poison ivy cleansing foam.It " prevents outbreaks if used shortly after exposure, soothes and comforts skin if symptoms have already developed." I haven't tried it yet as I am pretty careful to limit my exposure. It is an over the counter product. I find that if I wash with soap and water soon after exposure, that is good enough,... most of the time.

THATmanMANNY

I dunno why I'm very susceptible to poison this year. Maybe the overgrowth. But second time this year. PITA!

I got some over the weekend. I think I got some yesterday too and I did wash my legs off after the ride too. UGH

I Ride Bikes

Like I said earlier in this thread. OTC products never work for me. While I was getting ready for work recently I found myself scratching my arm. Sure enough it was a poison ivy rash. With no time to go to the doctors I figured Id have to try something in the mean time. I remembered that I still had a tube of Zanfel that I got at jorbafest and figured Id give it a try. Amazingly it worked great. Nothing I have ever tried has ever worked for me. Within a minute the itch was gone and a little while later the rash went down. It did come back the next morning but another application did the trick. Within a week it was gone and I never had to deal with itching or messy creams. This stuff is expensive but if I can avoid perscriptions at a small cost I will. This stuff works. Give it a try.

THATmanMANNY

Actually I got some from enduroama 2. That's pretty sweet. I did use it but I was too late over the weekend. I'm really not sure how the hell I got poisoned at sour lands.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Actually I got some from enduroama 2. That's pretty sweet. I did use it but I was too late over the weekend. I'm really not sure how the hell I got poisoned at sour lands.

I take a bath in Tech-Nu after every ride. (No kidding, I wash my legs and arms after every ride even if I'm not sure I touched it.) I did it twice on Sunday after DH40 because I stopped to try to help one guy pull his chain out when it went into his wheel and realized we were standing in posion ivy while we were working on it. So far so good. I figure it's worth it to just clean up with it after every ride for that ounce of prevention. I seem to get poison ivy by just looking at it, so it's always worth my time to wash up after a ride.

PaulAnthony

I have been battling multiple outbreaks for weeks and for my anti-poison routine I use the gojo orange soap stuff to wash after every ride. If I do develop the rash I use elocan (its prescription but a large tube of the generic stuff costs 15$) and that gets rid of the rash in a few days. I also want to note if I look at poison ivy the wrong way I get it...

dmc123

If I have been in poison ivy, I simply put rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and scrub the area. Works great and super cheap.

THATmanMANNY

I did think about rubbing alcohol but I never tried it yet.

GOJO! What a great idea anf I use that all the time (damn house to do's)

The rock that ran into me musta had some poison speices on it cause only one area is bad and that is where it broke skin thus into my blood and I have random bubbles here and there all over. But its slowly subsiding, I think...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
If I have been in poison ivy, I simply put rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and scrub the area. Works great and super cheap.
This is my standard routine when there's a possibility I've contacted poison ivy.

Basically you just need to use any solvent that removes the oil before the allergic reaction begins. Technu is nothing more than mineral spirits and soap.

Top Bottom