PNC bank stole all my 2017 photo earnings, or is it an option to switch to a donation based system?

gtluke

The Moped
First, I hate banks. And I can't wait for them to go the way of blockbuster video. (see my ramblings in the cryptocurrency threads)
Second, I know talking about money isn't a societal norm but I figured it's okay since we're talking about a massive 3 digits.
Third, I'm not complaining, I'm just looking for some creative feedback here.

I've had my PNC business bank account since I dunno, 2005ish when I was operating a mechanic garage.
It was a free business checking as long as I had $500 in the account. Seems normal, seems fair.

At the beginning of 2017 PNC changed the rules of my agreement (without my consent) and It's now $10 a month no matter what and minimum of $2,500 in my account or I get a fee.
Well, I wasn't aware that they changed the rules mid game because I only check my banking statement at tax time. Well PNC was stealing like $25 a month out of my account all year. I went into the branch, talked to some nice lady. They returned like 3 months worth of fees and said they will look into if they can return more. I haven't heard back.
So it looks like this week I have to go in and close my account. There is no way I'm doing any kind of business with these shady ass people. How rude.
So I could just switch my accounting to my personal account, that's fine. But now this year Smugmug has upped it's business account rate from $250 to $360. I think when I started it was $80 :\
With SSAP dead, DH40 dead, and I'm going to be out of town for the Lewis Morris Challenge those were the events that I actually sold photos at. Probably because they brought in more people that aren't the regulars that already have a dozen of my photos.
So with smugmug taking 20% of my sales right off the top to deal with credit card fees and further profit taking and charging me $360 a year I'll be lucky to break even for 2018 and basically donate beautiful spring days to sitting in the dirt.

Ugh.
I'll be at the MTBNJ events taking photos no matter what. But I'd like some opinions on a donation based system. I know 75% of people would take photos without donating but I think even at that rate I'd come out ahead. And maybe if I eliminated the burden of actually trying to sell photos I could get more creative and get a lot of shots I wish I could get. Like start line, finish line type stuff. But it's impossible to get a photo of the starting line AND the rider on the course. So I always opted to get individual photos of each racer instead.

I think for 2018 I'm covered since my current smugmug subscription ends in August unless you guys think it's worth me to take down the paywall now.
I'm not looking to actually make any money on this but keeping the system going costs a lot of time/cash. This year I sunk a bunch of cash into the raid hard drives that keep the original backups of all the photos, I'm at about 1TB of just biking photos. Maybe I should have just nuked the old ones, or compressed them to jpg but I think it's worth keeping them I guess.

We're so close to making this work over a decentralized cryptocurrency marketplace but it's just not there yet. If it was easier to flick me a few bucks for your photo I think more people would do it, or if a commerce website didn't' cost me $500 a year to operate.
Frustrating.

i've run my business and now a trust through affinity credit union. No fees, no minimums.
they have POP (pay other people) functionality - i'm not sure how incoming works.
a good credit card program (1% back in cash) for each $$ spent.
solid billpay, and scheduled payments system.
remote deposit (deposit by phone or scanner)

So i like them a lot.
----

a simple paypal/contribute button would be nice.
Even better if it links to the photo with no watermark, so there is a bit of motivation. or minimally a gate to go through.

Parents love pics of kids. if there is anyplace to make $$ it is probably there.
then it could work it in reverse too, like "part of proceeds go to..."

and nothing above decent screen resolution at that level

Lower the cost per photo because no more Smugmug skimming, and have people PayPal you with the event name, photo number, then just email them the photo. It'll be a pain in the ass with the extra labor sifting through PayPal and finding photos, but possibly more hits at $5 each rather than $10.

Or build your own website hosted on a home since you're better than @soundz. Large and slow drives are super cheap, and who cares about the performance. You just won't be able to watch Netflix for a few hours after a race when everyone is downloading.

I know Ally is a well known online bank. Maybe they have something that will work for you?

Lower the cost per photo because no more Smugmug skimming, and have people PayPal you with the event name, photo number, then just email them the photo. It'll be a pain in the ass with the extra labor sifting through PayPal and finding photos, but possibly more hits at $5 each rather than $10.

Or build your own website hosted on a home since you're better than @soundz. Large and slow drives are super cheap, and who cares about the performance. You just won't be able to watch Netflix for a few hours after a race when everyone is downloading.

I know Ally is a well known online bank. Maybe they have something that will work for you?

I was thinking of running the commerce platform off my home NAS server. It's possible. It'll be a bit slow and pretty horrid in comparison to smugmug. But that's really the only alternative.
If I had to manually deal with every sale I wouldn't do it. That's just too much work. I'd rather give them away.

got to be a better way to remote serve the pics, even if the indices are out of your place.
maybe put pics.gtluke.com up in godaddy ($20/month), and www at your house, so you have more control?
just upload once ?

dropbox and google have restricted serving out of their systems. i had a few websites up that used masking. no mas.

same exact situation as me. I even have chickens.
I moved, I think they were sending crap to my old address. Not that I would open mail anyway but I distinctly remember changing my address with them. They deny it, BUT they somehow have my new phone number but not my updated address. Not sure why the post office didn't forward mail but whatever. Mail and banks are stupid. ugh.

same exact situation as me. I even have chickens.
I moved, I think they were sending crap to my old address. Not that I would open mail anyway but I distinctly remember changing my address with them. They deny it, BUT they somehow have my new phone number but not my updated address. Not sure why the post office didn't forward mail but whatever. Mail and banks are stupid. ugh.
Want me to talk to the bank as your dad and tell them it was your egg sales??

i stopped using paypal unless necessary. why not set up a venmo account ?

also, some weird guy at autozone was telling me that if you use debit account to make purchases, you get charged for the transaction. so now if i use a purchase at a store or anything, i choose credit so the vendor gets charged for the transaction. i too am a 15yr PNC customer, happy with them so far except for the latest virtual wallet app.

edit- venmo is free and all you need is an email account and link your bank account.

Last edited:
I was thinking of running the commerce platform off my home NAS server. It's possible. It'll be a bit slow and pretty horrid in comparison to smugmug. But that's really the only alternative.
If I had to manually deal with every sale I wouldn't do it. That's just too much work. I'd rather give them away.
It will be slow, but who cares. It'll only be for the day or two after a race!

i stopped using paypal unless necessary. why not set up a venmo account ?

also, some weird guy at autozone was telling me that if you use debit account to make purchases, you get charged for the transaction. so now if i use a purchase at a store or anything, i choose credit so the vendor gets charged for the transaction. i too am a 15yr PNC customer, happy with them so far except for the latest virtual wallet app.

edit- venmo is free and all you need is an email account and link your bank account.

Know nothing of venmo. Would the buyers need venmo to pay? Not sure if people will bother to set up some account just to buy a picture if they are not already using it.

Know nothing of venmo. Would the buyers need venmo to pay? Not sure if people will bother to set up some account just to buy a picture if they are not already using it.
all customers would need to have venmo, but same goes for paypal. not everyone has it.... venmo is something that is free for both parties. but i do see why paypal is better for this type of application (address is connected to paypal account) but in venmo you can add the address in the comments section and make the message private.

PayPal and Venmo does more or less the same thing. Venmo is owned by PayPal. They just kind of market things differently and Venmo looks to be more aimed toward transferring $ between friends & family, vs businesses.

If you are a business and want to use Venmo, you have to pay 2.9% of the transaction amount plus 30 cents. Not sure what PayPal fees are but I suspect more since they have a much larger user base.

PayPal has a free option if you are sending money to friends and family and don't use a credit card to do it. Same as Venmo.

I'd stick with Paypal, recently I heard about Venmo scums, a seller can close account and disappear and your bank does not reimburse your transfer.

Back
Top Bottom