Plumbers- Need shower drain consult

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Prepping for a new shower install so I pulled the cover off to see what type of drain I'm dealing with. I was expecting to see a castle nut of sorts but have what's pictured below. There is a key slot in the threads, but im not seeing an obvious way to disassemble. I'm guessing that's another top cover that I have to spin off next? Or is this a drain that I need to access from the bottom?

I dont mind cutting a hole in my ceiling but obviously would like to avoid that if possible. Also don't mind destroying the shower base, I need to cut it up to remove it anyway.

This is circa 2001 contractor grade stuff (new home build, not a remodel)

20221228_152226.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It may spin off. There is a tool for that.
But you may as well Cut it out. You can rebuild it to the right place and height afterwards.

This one looks bonded tho.

Dremel around the inside if you want to save as much as possible

THINKPRO 1.5" Tub Drain Extractor, 6PCS Shower Drain, Remove the Old, Broken, Stubborn, Rusted Drain Tub Bathtub Stopper Strong Grab Removes Drain with Solid Storage Case https://a.co/d/3QwF7k2

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I was thinking about cutting it just below the threads to remove the shower. Noticed the pvc glue as well, so I figure it'll need to be cut and raised to the proper height for a new drain regardless

Top Bottom