Please stop with the mascot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMuller

It represents mountain biking, mtbnj and NJ poorly both in and out of the state. Always try to get my wife and daughters to come to these events saying how cool they are. I'd be embarrassed. thanks

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm going to drink a beer and figure out how i want to respond to this. but for starters i'll say this: the "mascot" was approved by all owners of the site and we all have wives and children.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Interesting to read this. I'll say I never really found the blow-up doll very funny, so if it angers anyone, I'd quit it. Maybe an anonymous poll, and the doll can survive with 60% or more approval rating?

F

FallGirl1430

Interesting to read this. I'll say I never really found the blow-up doll very funny, so if it angers anyone, I'd quit it. Maybe an anonymous poll, and the doll can survive with 60% or more approval rating?

I think it's cool. When I see it, it makes me smile and takes my mind off the race for a second. I thought racing was to be fun, some people need to chill.

Name withheld ... :)

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
If it was a blow up male, would you feel different?

And another note: The doll is usually located in the woods where racers are only to pass. I doubt your kids will see the doll and be offended.

But hey, I'm 17 and don't know no better :getsome:

MMuller

Assumed this would generate some discussion. That's why I posted. Curious how others felt.

1st I saw it the mtbnj guy was walking it past someone who looked to be involved with the race. The guy didn't look pleased. 1st time I saw while riding was by the field as it entered the single track. (Didn't see it at all 2nd lap though.) Maybe deep in the woods (near that dicey switchback descent for some real fun?) would have been better placement if it needs to be the sites mascot?

Don't sweat me though.

I didn't know they came in male versions.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We ran it by all 8 women on the team and there was no objection. I'm surprised it took someone this long to make noise about it, actually.

People should feel free to express their dislike of it. If enough people object we'll certainly consider stopping. But this is the first (and then second) complaint I've heard about it.

But then if you're not really objecting to it, as per your last post, and Justin merely doesn't find it funny, are there really any objections at all then?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
My question is a direct one: I can't recall -- Does the doll have a suck mouth or is it just a balloon head? If the doll has a mouth that's, well, there for a purpose, it's gotta be trashed, plain and simple. If it's just a round head, it's cheap frat-boy advertising, but not really offensive.
My friend's daughter is 12 and races in the series and therefore rides past the doll each and every race.

MMuller

It was the hole that caught my attention (in a bad way).

I'm just a visitor here. Norm and crew are the ones that put all the time and effort in to the site. It's really up to them how they want it represented at races.

That said, my 1st post is, personally, how I feel, simply stated. Again, no worries. It's not like team Discovery is going to pick up on the idea and use at the tour de france! "Oh zose crazzee Americans with their blow-up sex toyzz"

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's the "with a purpose" one. We tried to get a non-offensive but time was tight.

It's never there for the beginner race. Ben and I actually spent some time talking to one of the 12 year old's parents yesterday. Not Panhead, but his teammate. Both parents ride by the doll every race, and they stood there with both of us in our jerseys. So it would have been easy to make the connection.

I'll make sure I get an answer directly from them about it.

mwlikesbikes

Put a PowerBar in her mouth!

I'm a little surprised it took this long to get some complaints myself.
The majority of us out here Do all this riding and racing to have fun and get a little exersize away from our daily lives. Maybe a little immaturity should be expected from 20, 30,or 40something year olds. Sorry that it offends some. Maybe we do need to put it to a vote to decide Shaniqua's fate.
I say what's the problem, she's fully clothed! (and the only female member with a jersey) :hmmm: Give her an orange shirt decorated with a magic marker!!!!!:rofl:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It was the hole that caught my attention (in a bad way).

I'm just a visitor here. Norm and crew are the ones that put all the time and effort in to the site. It's really up to them how they want it represented at races.

That said, my 1st post is, personally, how I feel, simply stated. Again, no worries. It's not like team Discovery is going to pick up on the idea and use at the tour de france! "Oh zose crazzee Americans with their blow-up sex toyzz"

Not at all, man. You guys are the community, and without people there would be a handful of us with little to talk about, like it was not even 2 years ago. If people think it should go, it will go.

FWIW, I totally understand your first sentence in that last post.

BiknBen

The team mascot made its third appearance today at the Neshaminy Classic MTB Race in Langhorne, PA. I am the one who brings and places it at the race.

I showed up today after the Beginner and Kids Races were complete. Upon arriving, I found a race volunteer to ask where the racers would be entering the single-track portion of the course. He pointed it out and it was put in place. This took about 10 minutes only because I was unfamiliar with the course. The volunteer that I spoke to said he thought it was a great idea.

I was approached by another man just after I propped it up. He introduced himself as the man in charge of the site (or something like that), and also praised the idea. I joked with him because I thought he was going to lecture me. We shook hands and moved on.

I have not received any negative comments whatsoever. I'd also like to point out that I too have children who were at today's race with my wife. They are 6 and 8 years old. They fought over who would get to carry it back to the car so we let them take turns.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
personally i don't have an issue with it. obviously. but, i can understand where it gets a little dicey trying to explain this to a 12 year old.

we weren't trying to upset anyone we were just trying to have a little fun. if she really is that offensive we will obviously make a change. as norm stated above, you folks are the reason why the site even exists.

for the record, would anyone have an issue with a blow up ET or possibly a Godzilla? maybe a blow up barack obama?

edit: but, as i stated earlier, we all have families and didn't have issues with it.

Last edited:

Mare

I don't really care what you guys do cuz I kinow you are trying to have fun. But I must admit, I do think the mouth should be covered. Just cover it with a smiley sticker or something and then it she can't offend anyone. I have a really sick sense of humor and can joke with the best, but I do think that this can be offensive and better to be safe that get ourselves a bad name from those that are not really stating their negative feelings on the whole thing.

ArmyOfNone

First of all, her name is Shaneqwa.

I can understand how it can be taken the wrong way. But she has not been treated inappropriately. Ben worked to try to find something that was opening free, but this is what we got. Its all in fun. Lets not get loose sight of that.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
First of all, her name is Shaneqwa.

I can understand how it can be taken the wrong way. But she has not been treated inappropriately. Ben worked to try to find something that was opening free, but this is what we got. Its all in fun. Lets not get loose sight of that.

I think if the majority of people decide it isn't offensive, then I guess keep it going -- at your own risk obviously. But these points of, "well, it's just in good fun" are meaningless. There's plenty of well-meaning jokes in the world that offend people. That wins people over about as well as "chill out."

ArmyOfNone

I think if the majority of people decide it isn't offensive, then I guess keep it going -- at your own risk obviously. But these points of, "well, it's just in good fun" are meaningless. There's plenty of well-meaning jokes in the world that offend people. That wins people over about as well as "chill out."

Chill out my man :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom