Plea for fast sections

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
First off, I am extremely grateful for all of the work that jason and chris (amoungst other) have done at six mile. I give props considering I don't do anything beside pick up a random stick but.... what happened to all of the fast sections at 6? Seems that every section you can really pick up some speed, 6 months later, it is a twisty section of trail twice as long. Any thoughts?

J-Dro

First off, I am extremely grateful for all of the work that jason and chris (amoungst other) have done at six mile. I give props considering I don't do anything beside pick up a random stick but.... what happened to all of the fast sections at 6? Seems that every section you can really pick up some speed, 6 months later, it is a twisty section of trail twice as long. Any thoughts?

My thoughts... Riding straight stretches of flat terrain is, well, boring. I think that jason and the gang have done a great job on the new trails by using the existing terrain to its full advantage. Try riding the twisty sections faster, I think they are a blast. There are a bunch of straight sections of trail on the canal side by the cornfields where you can pick up speed if thats what you like.

I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, just offering my opinion. Love those tight twisty trails.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My thoughts... Riding straight stretches of flat terrain is, well, boring. I think that jason and the gang have done a great job on the new trails by using the existing terrain to its full advantage. Try riding the twisty sections faster, I think they are a blast. There are a bunch of straight sections of trail on the canal side by the cornfields where you can pick up speed if thats what you like.

I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, just offering my opinion. Love those tight twisty trails.

I agree. If it wasn't for those maze trails I would never go there. Follow Jason around sometime in those maze trails, now that's fun.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Ha those maze trails can be fun at times. One section that really needs work is the canal side. I've road over their once and was knee deep in mud the whole time. Not to mention how overgrown everything is.

ArmyOfNone

Twisty and flowing sections is what that park is all about. There arent many places where you can find singletrack like six mile. There are no rock gardens, huge climbs, or overly technical sections. Fast, flowing and windy singletrack is what its about. If you need a tour to get a better feel for the place let me know. The place is a blast once you get to know it. All IMO

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think I have ridden most of the stuff there. I am not saying that the twisty stuff isn't fun and i am also not saying that i want to ride in a straight line. Six mile is in my top 3 choices of rides from where I live, I think the section between the access dirt road and (near 27) and the powerline cut is awesome but it seems that everything new is twisty. It is fun but it would be nice to see so faster sections mixed in.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
similar to the section I mentioned, where the teeter is... Don't get me wrong, i love the place, just some constructive crit

ArmyOfNone

That section there is pretty sweet. Alot has to do w/ the terrain. I wont even call it elevation...but that spot is higher than most other spots. There is still much work to be done....

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
earn your speed..

I would bet money that we ride these trails as fast as you might ride a straight section.

This is not a dig against you but a reality of the skill set that can be gained from riding such a twisty spot.

I have studied the layout of the available space more than I care to have and in the end the current layout is the best use of space.

Years ago when I first rode at 6-mile it was mostly very straight quad trails that were boring and washed out.

All the newer re-routes are done to maximize the available terrain. A good part of what you might think of as twisty is actually old deer trails. The deer hit those turns at 20 mph for sure.

My advice is to watch you speed on a computer and challenge yourself to go faster over time.

The bike handling skills that might be learned here will help you ride every other park.

There is very little space left for new straight trail so if anything else is to be done than it will surely be as twisty if not more.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Obviously hit a sore spot on this one...keep my mouth shut next time. My lungs are what keep my back there more than my skill set. Maybe I can go faster on my trials bike in 18/16.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
stb, your opinion is always welcome on these forums, just like j's. i think, although he tried to abate any missinterpretation, he did word that a little offensively.

i was actually about to say something to the effect that you CAN go fast in the twisty stuff, and it's reallllllly fun when you do. your lungs will eventually get there. i have severe asthma(flatlined from it twice), and the more i ride, the better my asthma gets.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Maybe fast was the wrong word to use since i know you can go fast through the twisty stuff. I am not knocking it, 6 mile is probably the best place in central jersey and I will push myself next time to go faster. There goes my relationship with Halters!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Maybe fast was the wrong word to use since i know you can go fast through the twisty stuff. I am not knocking it, 6 mile is probably the best place in central jersey and I will push myself next time to go faster. There goes my relationship with Halters!

It is all good.

We just put a lot of work in and we like it the way it is.

I am sure other people think it is too twisty as well.

j

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Keep riding, keep talking, keep opining!

I have never ridden 6 Mile but I'm sure I know what you mean. Some parks have 90 degree turns around trees that you can't do 15-20 mph around. Other times it cuts the corner and you can keep that speed. CR is a good example of this. Some trails are just faster than others.

I think you also need to keep in mind that the faster you make a trail, the shorter it is. A flowy trail with good speed that isn't over in 1-2 minutes is actually pretty tough to come by. So you're usually mixing the various elements to try and make the best trail with what you have to work with.

D

DANSPANK

I'm all about the flowy trails. I like using the berms in 6-mile to get more speed around the corners. It's definitely wise to let rain soak in as it gets slick and you simply can't bank on the turns but when's it's tacky or frozen then it's fast alright!

A few have suggested that you meet up with a local guide. They'll likely show you combinations of trails where you can really flow quickly. It's truly a maze and no doubt that those in the know, know how to get speed out of the place...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I think you also need to keep in mind that the faster you make a trail, the shorter it is. A flowy trail with good speed that isn't over in 1-2 minutes is actually pretty tough to come by. So you're usually mixing the various elements to try and make the best trail with what you have to work with.
Excellent points to consider, particularly in NJ's smaller parks which are hemmed in by suburbia.

walter

Fourth Party
I think J and crew are doing an excellent job at 6 mile, and one of the things that I like most about that twisty section is that everytime I go there, its different, twistier and longer than the previous time. Sure most people like bombing through trails, and like someone said, there are plenty of fast, straight trails on the opposite side of Middlebush, but I think the twisty section is one of the coolest spots in the park.

You kinda get the feeling like you are on the Forest Moon of Endor.

Keep up the great work.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions