Playing Music while riding?

Grampaaah

Just looking for some opinions on playing music while riding,

I saw people with speakers playing music while riding the trails at 6mr and at first I thought that they were kind of screwing around with the serene surroundings, maybe even givings bikers a bad rep.

Recently I have had a change of heart on this subject and now have started playing music through my phone's speaker, not for my enjoyment but for safety.

I usually ride solo and the thought is the music will alert other riders, hunters and wildlife. Also if I got injured the music my alert other passersby to find me.

So what are your thoughts? I don't want to be a Jerk in the woods and want to make sure that I'm not causing issues with the other people using the woods.

I know you can wear a bell, but those don't work if fall and hit your head.

I am already wearing bright colors and I hook up a portable charger to keep the cell phone with plenty of juice.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I prefer to tie a few banjos to my seat post and drag them behind me.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
theres no rule that you can't play music. maybe just dont blast it at 100? still could keep it lit tho

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i honestly don't like it... and i don't like it when people wear headphones either because then they don't hear ME coming up behind them... but there's room to compromise tho... like if you're blasting AC/DC or something.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
use music on the road never in the trails for the reason above...

pkovo

Interesting subject. I've come across others listening to music out loud while riding only once. Didn't bother me at all, but it did surprise me. I would be afraid to do it myself because I wouldn't want to take away from someone else's enjoyment of the trails as I suspect some would frown on it. I see alot of people with earbuds on riding, and I'm tempted to do that myself, but I haven't for safety sake given the reasons MissJR listed. Some sections of trails I can hear someone coming before I can see them, especially when the trees are green and full. I actually passed a rider this weekend and asked if anyone else was coming up and he ignored me. I saw him later and realized he had earbuds in. No biggie, sight lines were good and I would have seen someone else coming anyway, but it definitely can have an impact in the right (or wrong) situation.

All that said I would really love to listen while I ride. I recall listening to Metallica via earbuds while riding my dirtbike as a kid (with a walkman....yeah I'm old). I use to get a really good rhythm going listening to music while riding.

choop

I don't listen to music while riding. But if I see someone on the road listening to music or with earbuds, I quickly pass. I don't want to be anywhere near them. I don't trust that they have their full attention to cars etc. There is just way too much going on on the road that could kill you.

On the trails it doesn't bother me so much when I see someone with music. If I have to wait a bit longer to request a pass its not that big of a deal to me. I would say towpaths or reservoir loops are the best median for music and bikes.

grilledcheeseking

I think I read that Ted Nugent likes to play his guitar while driving on long road trips. Might cause some damage to the guitar in the twisties at 6mr.

Last edited:

olegbabich

I got tunes on @ all times. Mountain bike, road bike, dirt bike. I use ear buds and do not play it loud.

For me it is a Zen thing.

Many Harley riders will tell you that loud exhaust saves lives. I do not agree with that.

th

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
doesn't bother me really. as long as people are out its a good thing.

that said, i whistle when going around blind turns. usually a snappy little tune in hopes that someone will hear me. i guess someone wouldn't hear a whistle if they had ear buds in. maybe i'll go back to yelling "mush" or "heeyahhh".

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I've moderated my position on this. I hardly see anyone else riding anyway, and when I do, it's moment that passes quickly. Plus I get a kick out hearing some of the bad music these middle-aged men listen to (it's always been a middle aged man). Nickelback? Theory of a Deadman? Creed? Really? And I get made fun of for listening to death metal? And if you're wearing earbuds and I scare you off the trail, well, it's on you.

Supermoto

I prefer hearing crappy music over an i9 hub.

You could always use Strava / garmin or Road ID to let people know where to find your body

thegock

what are your top 5 songs you play

1. War Pig
1. I Need Lunch
2. My Dick
2. I Want To Be Sedated
3. I Am Hated
3. Kill You
4. Fight For This Love-Vampire Weekend
4. Famous Monsters
5. Popular-Lil Wayne
5. Bad Religion-Godsmack

plus the other 100 on the ride playlist

blackburn1973

what are your top 5 songs you play

1. Big Fat Pig - Clutch
2. Drunk Driving - Black Flag
3. Revolve - Melvins
4. Anything live by Phish (cue the hate!)
5. Disco Biscuits - Who knows the name of the songs?

Know a lot of people don't dig it but for me I really need music when mtn biking or snowboarding (unless I'm riding with others. Then no tunes).

Top Bottom