Play in the lower crown race

ellbiddy

So I replaced my fork and have since put on ~200 miles and I've recently noticed a tiny amount of play in the rear crown race area. But it's serious enough that I can "feel" it while riding. I was wondering if maybe I just have the fork sitting a little too loose or if I fudged something in the process. It's a Fox F100 RLC and the same headset (cane creek) and everything else that came stock on my trek 6 series. Wondering if anyone has had anything like this happen before.

If I can't sort it out I might bring it to planet bike or maybe finally scope out halters

Edit: I tried to tighten up everything to no avail, there's still some front to back play in/around the lower crown race area, I took a look at it and it looks like it's a little worn out as if some dirt got in between the lower race and the headset and wore down. I don't want to ride it anymore for fear of an epic failure ;p

Last edited:

Wobbegong

Just to verify, did you in this order:

1. Loosen stem bolts at the steerer tube.
2. Tighten stem cap.
3. Tighten Stem Bolts.

Oreo

Its probably best to replace the crown race and see if it helps since its a cheaper repair or the headset, If not, its most likely coming from the steer tube and the crown where its pressed in, mine was so bad that it creaks, its a $160 part, the whole uppers need to be replaced. I replaced mine about a couple weeks ago and fixed the creak/play. While youre at it, do the whole rebuild since you'll have the fork apart.
Dont forget to transfer the metal stopper thingy at the bottom of the left leg.

This is a known issue with fox forx :mad:

ellbiddy

Its probably best to replace the crown race and see if it helps since its a cheaper repair or the headset, If not, its most likely coming from the steer tube and the crown where its pressed in, mine was so bad that it creaks, its a $160 part, the whole uppers need to be replaced. I replaced mine about a couple weeks ago and fixed the creak/play. While youre at it, do the whole rebuild since you'll have the fork apart.
Dont forget to transfer the metal stopper thingy at the bottom of the left leg.

This is a known issue with fox forx :mad:

It's a brand new fork, so I have a sneaking feeling that it's not the forks fault.

Wobbegong, yeah that's what I did.

Oreo

It must be the crown race then, if its not seated flush on the fork it can cause that knocking sound like your headset is loose. Crane Creek crown race are thin that if youre not carefull when you remove it from an old fork can warp and not sit flush. Its a very common headset, any bikeshop should be able to give you a crown race from an FSA, Cane Creek or Aheadset, all made by the same maker. Or better yet, let them install it for you, the right tool makes all the difference. Good luck.

Frank

Sasquatch
I did this once

Take the top cap off and see if it's bottoming on the top of the steerer tube. You might need to add a headset shim under the stem if you cut the steerer tube a shy too long.

J-Dro

Take the top cap off and see if it's bottoming on the top of the steerer tube. You might need to add a headset shim under the stem if you cut the steerer tube a shy too long.

Been there, done that. Most top caps have a lip that fits into the top of the stem (or spacer) and you need to make sure that the lip can fully fit inside without contacting the top of the steerer tube. Otherwise, no amount of torque on the top cap bolt will tighten your front end.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
if the race is aluminum, there is a chance it was ovalized due to improper installation. If it is steel, it is still possible, but not likely. Get a new race and go from there.

ellbiddy

Turns out one of the spacers I cut wasn't straight and I would tighten it on a small point on the cut, it'd wear down and then there'd be play. I figured i could get away with free handing it even though I had my steerer tube cutting guide that I could have used. So I cut another set and now there's no more play :-D

It was barely noticeable too, but caused a decent amount of play.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Top Bottom