Plattekill - 2017 - Mixed news

Ian F

Good news: They'll be open.

Not so good: Only 5 weekends this year (with one during an ESC race).
http://www.icontact-archive.com/kks6Z1RTxZY6_kaOlXHGzeF4CntTZ5eM?w=2
http://www.icontact-archive.com/kks6Z1RTxZY6_kaOlXHGzeF4CntTZ5eM?w=2

To all of our Plattekill Riders:

We are writing to you because we want to personally address the rumors that you have no doubt been hearing by now, with concern to Plattekill Mountain’s Bike Park 2017 operations. We are pleased to announce Plattekill will be open this year, for what is now our 24th year of offering lift-serviced mountain bike riding; however, we have had to make changes to our operating schedule.
jpeg

Over the past 5 years, the mountain biking market has changed. The Northeast bike park landscape has become increasingly more competitive, which has significantly affected our ridership. Simply put, we can’t afford to turn the lifts and staff the park on the same schedule we have in the past. The revenue just isn’t there to make it work for our small business. In 1994, Plattekill Bike Park started as a grassroots movement and we’re taking it back to those roots. For this season, we will be reducing our operating hours and instead plan to focus on key weekends of operation in an effort to support our local riders and offer a better experience for all of our guests.

Our 2017 operating schedule will be as follows:

- July 1-2: 9am-5pm

- July 8-9: 9am-5pm (in conjunction with ESC Races)

- August 5-6: 9am-5pm

- September 2-3: 9am-5pm

- October 7-8: 9am-5pm

In addition to the hours listed above, we will continue to offer Private Mountain Rentals for a unique experience of having exclusive use of the whole mountain for the day. If you are interested in hosting a private mountain biking event, please give us a call or check out our website for more details.

Also, we are currently considering other options for adding additional operating days to our schedule.

One idea we are exploring is the possibility of bringing back a local race series in conjunction with some of the other bike parks across our region. Stay tuned for updates.

This has not been an easy decision for us to make this change after so many years. We thank you for your continued support over this fantastic 24-year ride. Rest assured —we may be pumping the brakes a little, but our ride is far from over.

Hope to see you on the trails this summer!

- Laszlo & Danielle Vajtay & the entire Plattekill Staff

The last couple of times I was there, it was obvious the numbers weren't really there to make the program viable so this doesn't really surprise me. Still... a bit of a sad day.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It is sad as it's where I cut my teeth in the Dh scene. Laszlo was a first in our area. Actually hanging with a young Lars, Kyle Ebbit and Aaron Chase and watching them rip it up. I was there from the beginning along with my cousin and Patty pedals. Made a few lasting friends to boot. There is no other place like it where you can get your shale surfing on.

Now to a main reason. You need to put in the work on the trails to compete today. That's just not happening. We used to laugh when we would show up for a race back in the day, that Laszlo would just take a big roll of string and roll it down the hill and that's your course. Platty still has some of the best big drops on the east coast and steep terrain. I hope he can figure a way to make it fresh again.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Interesting, Budweiser's sales chart resembles the elevation profile of a DH park. How appropriate. Maybe they need to invest in beer lifts.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Coors and yuengling were introduced to nj and ny in 1987, I would assume that had something to do with it.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I got the Plattekill email too and was pretty bummed since it's also where i cut my DH teeth. I'm also part of the problem though because i haven't been there to ride or race in years (though i haven't been on my DH bike much at all so it's not because i'm riding elsewhere). I love the steep and raw Platty style of trails but that's just not what the "new school" riders are looking for. Also, you really can't ride Plattekill on anything other than a DH bike unless you're a very experienced rider. Sad news so i'll try to get up there one weekend bc you never know what's in store next year.

Throwback to the Gravity East Series finale 2007:
plattekill_ges_day_1_dh66.jpg

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
I too learned the love of DH at Platty. Those of you who know me, know how much I love that place.
He mentions doing a "local" series of races. While I decided years ago I wouldnt DH race anymore, if Laszlo does it, I may join in for fun and just to be supportive.

The mountain is also available for private group rentals.
Hmmm....

Maybe we should all join in and rent the mountain for a weekend.
A mtbnj forum kind of thing.
could be fun. split the cost up.

@Norm ?

Ian F

The idea of renting the mtn definitely has an appeal. However, I wouldn't do it until after going up there for one of the other open weekends to check on trail conditions and see what is actually in rideable condition.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
The idea of renting the mtn definitely has an appeal. However, I wouldn't do it until after going up there for one of the other open weekends to check on trail conditions and see what is actually in rideable condition.

Agreed. Trail conditions were iffy even when they were open every weekend (trees down, washouts, overgrowth, etc.). I'd imagine it could get worse with this scenario. Although, they've done this in the past but with "closed" weekends it may be easier: Volunteer trail work Saturday, free lift ticket Sunday (even if they only spin the lifts for a few hours).

Top Bottom