Planning to ride...

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
I'm planning to ride here sometime in the next week, as weather and work permit... Anything I should know? Is this one of those places where its crazy easy to get lost? Is the trail still soft?

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Cannot get lost. It is a out and back. Bring your climbing bike. Awesome rocky climbs and descents!

rlb

If you don't climb much, its going to be a shock to the system. I went once around November, it was the first truly cold day I ever rode in and my first ride here. The climbs kicked my ass and I couldn't get my breathing right due to the cold. I turned around at about 2.5 miles in. I still want to get back and ride the whole thing, one of these days...But hey don't let me deter you :D Get out and have fun

ellbiddy

I'd also make sure to start from the boat launch lot or main lot as if you start from the cush side you'll be in for a harder first few minutes :p Besides that hump from the cush lot, there are only 2 real big climbs, the switchback bit and that long climb after the trail does that Y split to either stay on the red or go down to the campground fire road. You get to go down both which are super fun. I'm a big fan of RV, good workout and nice views.

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
I went for a pilot ride today... Just got back. I started at cush, where big orange signs warned me that I could get shot september through february, and its still february. I figured they probably meant the beginning of Feb, so I rode for a mile or two before turning chicken and heading back. Plus it was coooold and my lungs hurt. (can't say I wasnt warned about the climb, but the main entrance was closed).
Anybody know if the hunting is still in progress? Its supposed to be nice tomorrow.

Conditions: No puddles.

kush

what time did you ride?

please expand on conditions of trails. no puddles leaves some lattitude...

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode there last weekend & the trails were litter with trees, branches etc. There was a least 4 blowdowns across the trial, which you can't get over on the bike. There's no way, knowing the park, that any of it will be cleaned up. I don't think water or mud will be much of a problem. & the climbs are all still there! ;)

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
Well, I only saw a mile or two of the trail... but there was no frozen puddles, only one tree that was argueably blocking the trail, and I cant comment on how soft it was because it was frozen.

The conditions were good today, but who knows how soft it might be when it thaws. I might go again this weekend, and I'll be sure to post.

I rode at 4:30PM today by the way.

Last edited:

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
I havn't been out to round valley, but the snow just finished melting today here in Raritan (15 miles away or so). My yard is still pretty soft, so I bet the trails are too.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions