Planet Bike - Matawan / Old Bridge

bclinsure

I may be buying a new Trek at the above shop but would like some feedback before I spend the money. Is their service good, work quality, etc....

Any insight would be great.

Thank you.

MMuller

I'm sure they're good. Def worth checking out Beacon Bike and fitness on rt 9 just south of rt 33 in Freehold. Great service! Always good to shop around.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I bought a bike here in July. I can't say I had a good experience. The first clue should have been the total lack of any mid level or high end bikes on the floor. Hell, there were barely any mountain bikes in here at all. I stuck around as this shop is between where I work and live so the location was convenient.

As a new rider I put a lot of trust in the reps in the shop to get me on the right bike. I got the standard "Go ride around the parking lot" test ride. The sales guy didn't even come out to see if the bike looked like a good fit for me. They had me ride around the lot on a different model bike than I ultimately bought but they claimed sizing would be the same. This did not seem suspect to me at the time as a new rider but bike shop employees should be keenly aware that different model bikes have different geometry that can affect fit.

When I went in to pick the bike up the mechanic told me the tires were already set up tubeless with sealant in them. He also insisted on telling me how stupid suspension bikes are in NJ and that he only rides a full rigid. I thought that was a bit strange as I was forking over thousands of dollars on my new full squish bike. No effort at all was made to fit me on the bike or set suspension sag or anything. When I got home I checked the tires to find there was no sealant installed. I hopped on the bike to instantly feel it was too big. In my ignorance I assumed I just need to get used to it. Months later after making countless adjustments including short stems, etc., I sold the bike at a massive loss.

My experience with this shop was terrible and left a really bad taste in my mouth. Ultimately, it cost me a lot of $$ as I had to sell a 6 month old bike and buy a new one that fit my needs. Bad sales advice, bad attitudes, and bad service leave absolutely no reason to go in here.

Last edited:

MikeyBikey2000

I was told my trance had sealant too from a different bike shop, I believe they don't put sealant in because the bike could be sitting on the floor for a while. Still I was told the same thing. In regards to this shop, when I was first looking at a bikes I checked out a trek fuel and it took it for a ride, they came out side and after watching me ride said a medium is too small for me, which was correct. I wound up buying from their Old Bridge store.. I had a trance and an anthem picked out (keep in mind I had really no idea of the difference).. the guy asked me what kind of riding I wanted to do etc.... he said get the trance, it will be much more fun.. and it was the right choice I think.. They did size me and check out the sag and all that. They've always taken care of me repair wise (the matawan shop). When I wanted the 2018 trance I went and asked and they said they probably wouldn't get one in since they don't sell many bikes at that price point so I wound up getting it in PA (where they said there was sealant, but there wasn't)

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I was told my trance had sealant too from a different bike shop, I believe they don't put sealant in because the bike could be sitting on the floor for a while. Still I was told the same thing. In regards to this shop, when I was first looking at a bikes I checked out a trek fuel and it took it for a ride, they came out side and after watching me ride said a medium is too small for me, which was correct. I wound up buying from their Old Bridge store.. I had a trance and an anthem picked out (keep in mind I had really no idea of the difference).. the guy asked me what kind of riding I wanted to do etc.... he said get the trance, it will be much more fun.. and it was the right choice I think.. They did size me and check out the sag and all that. They've always taken care of me repair wise (the matawan shop). When I wanted the 2018 trance I went and asked and they said they probably wouldn't get one in since they don't sell many bikes at that price point so I wound up getting it in PA (where they said there was sealant, but there wasn't)
Yeah, I knew Giant didn't put sealant in from the factory from my research before I went to the shop. I knew I better check when the mechanic said he didn't add it but it was already in there. It's interesting that they told you to go Trance over the Anthem. I was dead set on a Trance after months of research and they convinced me to go Anthem. Actually, they wanted me to buy a Stance but I wanted a better component spec. I have heard that the East Brunswick location is better than the Old Bridge/Matawan location. I suppose it depends on the specific people working the day you go in. In any case I didn't have a great experience.

Top Bottom