Votes: 7 33.3%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • 3+ hours

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

walter

Fourth Party
I'm gonna say I know, but won't ruin it. If the winner comes forth I will admit if I'm right or wrong.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So, Norm, was the wind an issue for you?
And the wind chill? Did that factor into your 20' temp?
It was in the low teens around here, windy as heck and snowing from a clear blue sky.

What kind of average did you manage?
Mine was -3 mph and I was in sad shape when I got in.
Dizzy, frozen legs, frozen water, way low HR. Scary.
But I bought new(warm) tights for tomorrow!

And Brian, in weather like this no cool down is needed and every millisecond counts.
3+ hours it is!!

The wind was not an issue for me. Though I forgot to mention the frozen bottle which means I got about 3/4 of 1 bottle of drink the whole ride. Next time, I would stow the second bottle in a jersey pocket under the winter jacket. Probably not terribly comfortable but at least you get some drink out of the deal.

Weather.com said it "felt like" 11, but I'm one of those old school types that just goes by the temperature. I stuck to the hills and trees, so wind really wasn't too much of an issue other than for brief spots here and there.

My average was a pedestrian 14 or so. I don't know what I would average in season, maybe 16-18. I'd have to see how much vertical was on the ride today. If it turned out to be 4500 feet of vertical in 42 miles I wouldn't be surprised. I did everything I could to climb, then go down quickly and climb again.

Mare - winter averages are just lower. I wouldn't worry about it. The shoes are worth every cent.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Though I forgot to mention the frozen bottle which means I got about 3/4 of 1 bottle of drink the whole ride. Next time, I would stow the second bottle in a jersey pocket under the winter jacket.

Seriously, I got a single mouthful of slush. Got maybe 2oz of fluid in me which probably accounted for part of the dizzy and low, low HR issues. I've been contemplating the unthinkable... rocking my camelback on the road... under my jacket, of course. I'll let you know how that goes.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Seriously, I got a single mouthful of slush. Got maybe 2oz of fluid in me which probably accounted for part of the dizzy and low, low HR issues. I've been contemplating the unthinkable... rocking my camelback on the road... under my jacket, of course. I'll let you know how that goes.

Before you do that you may want to consider salt. I add salt to my bottles all year round, usually 1/4 tsp. Today I added double that to try and keep them from freezing. My first bottle lasted about 1:20 before it really started to slush up.

syadasti

Wet Rag
Before you do that you may want to consider salt. I add salt to my bottles all year round, usually 1/4 tsp. Today I added double that to try and keep them from freezing. My first bottle lasted about 1:20 before it really started to slush up.

I've just survived without the water when it freezes but I wonder if you could use a few scoops/capsules of Hammer Endurolytes so you get a variety of salts in your water. Guess it depends on if it dissolves as well to effect the freezing point.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I've just survived without the water when it freezes but I wonder if you could use a few scoops/capsules of Hammer Endurolytes so you get a variety of salts in your water. Guess it depends on if it dissolves as well to effect the freezing point.

Good ideas, Norm and syadasti. I've never opened the capsules, but it's worth a try. I do add emergen-c(has some salt) to my water 'cause it goes down easier and faster than plain water. I just can't deal with any sweet stuff but salt can be yummy.

Now, back to the real question...
Who posted the last bike computer photo? Idle minds want to know!!!

ArmyOfNone

OOO! I was gone for the weekend...what did I miss???:D

Nice Norm! I am pretty sure at that hour I wouldnt be out, NOR if I wanted to could I drag Ben out with me if there was such motivation.

That note you left is priceless.

Top Bottom