"pixy-no-fixie" first ride

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Well, I got out today for about 15 miles on the new SS road bike project. It rode great! My first time on steel, so not sure what to compare to, but it felt great. The frame is a Team Fuji and says quadruple butted ??? It weighs 20.6 lbs as SS. I'm not sure how old it is, but it had a six speed cog set on it.

Mr pixy set up with 42 and 39 chainrings and 16 and 19 SS cogs. I rode the whole time in 42X16 on rolling terrain, and it felt perfect. Thanks to all of you on this site for your insight and gearing preferences. I'll try some more hills next time. It is easy to derail manually with the quick release to the 2nd gear combo.

I'm still waiting for some pimp details, but pictures soon....

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
3118675141_2048443bce.jpg

3119502882_c73fc1e9fa.jpg

3118675191_c935dbf96f.jpg

3119502812_2ca281665e.jpg

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Boy, that is a neat bike. Glad to hear you enjoyed the maiden voyage.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agree with Fred. I mean, just bottle cages here right? ;)

Awesome deal Pixy. It's very cool to see various bikes getting revived because of the Q&A on the board, plus a certain crazy that sweeps everyone from time to time. Once I'm done with the CX bike I think I may need to do a SS road bike, with maybe a flip-flop hub?

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
not enough pink!:D

Not to worry, pink stuff still on order. I also am temporarily using another rear wheel with splined cogs as a test. Once I figure my gearing, I may splurge and go for the white industries double freewheel, or maybe just keep it a SS. Either way, I would like to get the original threaded wheel back on.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
...... p.s. I left the down tube shifters on because I thought they looked cool. What do all you think about that? leave em, or loose em and add something over the posts??

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
...... p.s. I left the down tube shifters on because I thought they looked cool. What do all you think about that? leave em, or loose em and add something over the posts??

Leave 'em, they look cool.

Great job Pixy. When I first saw it, the spokes looked pink. I now see it was just the glare from the raging fuscia fork. Did you do much restoration to the paint and decals or was it in that good a shape?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

looks good! i have left the downtube sifters on my shogun also. I think it looks better then have the boss exposed. Before long I have a feeling you will be trying this has a fixie.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i like the downtube shifters. plus if someone tries to jack your bike on a hill, won't they be surprised when they go to shift and nothing happens!

on a serious note, are those the stock bars and stem? if so, please be very careful riding. i was planning on keeping mine...i spent a good two hours polishing them to a mirror finish...but after doing some research (spurred by a conversation i had with the bike shop guys) i found that the aluminum just isn't all that safe to ride on after 30 some years. or 20 some in your case.

just a heads up ellen. other than that, the bike is TRICK! enjoy it!

ArmyOfNone

Not to worry, pink stuff still on order. I also am temporarily using another rear wheel with splined cogs as a test. Once I figure my gearing, I may splurge and go for the white industries double freewheel, or maybe just keep it a SS. Either way, I would like to get the original threaded wheel back on.

Pink Pink Pink! :D

A friend has a pretty sweet old scwhinn prelude that has me itching to restore (although it doesnt need much work), but now a days your not cool unless your riding something that was built in your birth year. It would be like my corvette that I only ride on the weekends. :D

I like the idea of using the original wheel with the freewheel. Never thought of it.

id like to see the shifters go. It would look a bit cleaner. There is nothing out there to cover them up?

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Frame is how it was. No work. Even the pink cages were there when I found it.

According to the site that Ben was nice enough to find, the color is called "flamingo". hmmm, that could start a theme.

The bars were replaced. Them stem is used from the bike shop, junk pile, and your thought duly noted. I have a 1" stem adapter on order, with some misc blinggg tidbits.

As for the shifter posts, I could hit the closeout costume jewelry section and hammer some earrings over the posts, but I may just keep them.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
that's exactly what i did...bought an adapter. when i first started the project i was stoked b/c it was going to be a REALLY cool looking bike. i was going to go with a white seat and bar wrap to compliment the white chain but alas it was not to be. i was on a self-imposed budget so going WAY out of pocket for blingy-bling was not an option. i mean, i have three other bikes that need tending...not to mention two kiddies (to be three in just about three weeks! :eek:) a wife, house, blah, blah, blah...

my vote is to keep the shifters.

Top Bottom