"pixy-no-fixie" first ride

When I saw that the temps today would be flirting into the 30's, I jumped on a chance to test out my SS in the climbing gearing combo for a longer more hilly ride. 40x18 would be the two tooth jump that would work with the chain length from the 42x16.

I took a hilly easterly route to Nyack. The finale would be to climb Bradly Hill which twists up Clauslan Mt for a few miles before dropping you down to the Hudson. When I started the ride, the first few hills made me think that I would prefer a 19, but after 40 minutes, my legs felt much better. I noticed I could hold 19 mph for short stretches behind Willy on the flats. Gearing felt good on the big hill, but I did have to sit and grind it out for a bit. The flatter route home felt a bit tedious and over spun, as I was losing energy. So I am thinking that either gearing combo might work for me. My choices on the dos enos freehub are 16/18 or a 17/19. Any suggestions from the single-speeders?

I added some reflective stickers and pink bolts as well.

Attachments

• peace.JPG
    peace.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 115
  • chainring.JPG
    chainring.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I started riding 40x16 fixed last winter and while there are some hills I didn't dare go up, the ones I had been climbing got easier. An added bonus, descending the hills I was unable to climb taught me to spiiiiinnnn....over the course of a few months I worked my "redline" up to 180 RPM!

My suggestion is that 40x16 is a comfortable middle ground. If you're going with the Dos Enos, the 40x18 + 42x16 combo would give you a nice range in my opinion. If you've already got the 40 and 42 rings, that seals the deal!

Finally, my early Valentines Jewelry for my bike arrived. Thanks to those involved in making this affordable. Fuji SS is ready to go for Nirvana Day Ride tomorrow.

Attachments

• jewelry.jpg
    jewelry.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 101
  • cogs.JPG
    cogs.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 120
  • crazy.JPG
    crazy.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 122
Wow, the White Industries freewheel is super smooth indeed. I used the 17/19 today, as mr pixy wanted to try the 16/18 on his bike. The 42X17 was very comfortable for me on a group ride of mixed hills and rolling. As the group started soft pedaling before the big 1 mile climb, I pulled off and switched to the 40/19, and caught back up to the group before the climb. I passed a few riders but it was an effort to keep the pedals moving as I started losing momentum and did the the stand-sit dance. I was spun out pretty quickly going down the mountain, so I switched the gearing back to 42X17 for the rest of the ride.

Overall, I think the 42X17 is a good bet for me, but I wanted a bail out for commuting, so the 40X19 or 18 is a good option to have for those days.

Attachments

• team fuji.JPG
    team fuji.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
cool setup - it's gotta be nice to have a bailout gear for those tough climbs. do you think it would screw up chainline too much to use one of those freewheels with one ring? naturally tension would also be an issue, but that's easy to handle. i suppose to really see the benefit (range of gears) its better to go 2x2 rather than 1x2.

i like how you left the dt shifters on :)

cool setup - it's gotta be nice to have a bailout gear for those tough climbs. do you think it would screw up chainline too much to use one of those freewheels with one ring? naturally tension would also be an issue, but that's easy to handle. i suppose to really see the benefit (range of gears) its better to go 2x2 rather than 1x2.

i like how you left the dt shifters on :)

Thanks, I like the DT shifters too.

The chainline may be an issue with one ring. Someone more experienced may know better than I. Also the chain tension may be a problem. My hor dropouts could possibly handle a one tooth difference in chain length, but no way two teeth. I have it set up the same length for both combos so that the change requires little fuss. It is not ideal, from a gear choice point of view, but that is what keeps it a SS. I find the whole charm of SS is to give something up and find harmony with that choice.

My friend runs a 2X1 with a tensioner and front derailer. It looks pretty convenient.

That is cool, I always wondered if that could be done on a mountain bike, basically have a bail out gear for the really steep climbs. BTW, if there is a link for the road ride you spoke about for this sunday, can you either shoot over the info or the link? I am hoping it starts early as I have successfully negotiated potentially a 4 hour block! ( a rarity)Thanks!

That is cool, I always wondered if that could be done on a mountain bike, basically have a bail out gear for the really steep climbs. BTW, if there is a link for the road ride you spoke about for this sunday, can you either shoot over the info or the link? I am hoping it starts early as I have successfully negotiated potentially a 4 hour block! ( a rarity)Thanks!

Starts in Oradell near train station. 9:15 roll out. 60-70 miles, hilly with a mid stop. I am not certain of the exact route, but they usually stay near the 9W corridor between GW bridge and West Point, so you may be able to peel off early and find your way home.

It is a btcnj ride (not mine), and they are usually open to guests. The pace is advertised as 16-17 mph average over 60 miles with 7000 ft of climbing. It is a pretty substantial hilly ride that could encounter some fast pace lining in spots. Pixy will most likely be :cry:. It may not be an ideal ride for your first week on a road bike. But if you like to suffer, who am I to say.

you right, I got my first taste today trying to keep up with much better riders for 27 miles...not easy:-( I'll explore local roads and 9W on my own tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom