Pipeline Climb @ The Sourlands

Thanks So Much

Wow. So much great info. Some of this will have to sink in b4 i can understand what it all means.

I have been doing some high cadence workouts on the trainer. So hopefully that will help as well. I know there is good road riding around me, i just have to find it. And i just enjoy being on the trails so much more. Unless there is no way for me to MTB ill hit the road. Mayb for the winter i should change that.

Most of the guys that i do ride with are faster than me. So it is always a constant push to keep up. it wouldnt be as much fun if it were easy.

One more thing that i wasnt sure if i caught the answer. If your riding the trainer and you use blocks is that the same? or like norm said is "overgearing" the way to go?

ok gtg the GF is yelling at me :p
b back in a few!

using blocks will just put you in the body position you are trying to mimick, not increase resistance. using the blocks can be good though, because you use some different muscles when in climbing position, so if you can't get out on the hills, it's good to excercise them somewhere.

If you do put a load of blocks under your front tire, you will indeed change the angle of the rear tire to the trainer.

isn't that what i said/asked previously?

Yes it is, but then I replied that you don't need to do that stuff to get the appropriate workouts - iow, don't raise the front tire. Yes many people slide back on the saddle when going up a hill. But many don't. Some slide forward. And those who don't use the same muscles as on the flats. If your hands and butt are in the same position, you use the same muscles even if you're upside down. If you want to slide forward/backward you can do that on a trainer as well. Or on a real hill. Or upside down. And so on.

I always leave my front wheel level when doing trainer workouts. "Hill workouts" mean using a gear that demands a hard effort in order for me to achieve the desired climbing cadence. My trainer workouts tend to be built around the gearing/cadence/effort combination, with the work/recovery ratio being decided next.

And I do tend to slide forward/back on the saddle in relation to cadence. Slower cadence equals further back.

Blocks + Increase Resistance = Good!

Thanks! Havent seen ya in a while sean, how ya been?

i'm doing quite well. nearly finished moving. taking my sweet ass time. unfortunately not been doing much riding the past two weeks, but oh well.

you remember calling me at 3am new years?

I'm confused..

I just got a road bike this summer and I try to stay off it as much as possible but i must say it's a joke compared to MTBing. It just hurts a little more cause I dont get out of the saddle as much. Cars are scary

I just got a road bike this summer and I try to stay off it as much as possible but i must say it's a joke compared to MTBing. It just hurts a little more cause I dont get out of the saddle as much. Cars are scary

Remember what you said in that other thread about riding faster. No FASTER. I mean...FASTER!..? Try that.

i'm doing quite well. nearly finished moving. taking my sweet ass time. unfortunately not been doing much riding the past two weeks, but oh well.

you remember calling me at 3am new years?

Sux about not riding but then i guess thats life. It happens.

I called you at 3am on new years??? WOW no freakin clue that i did that. I was curious however to know if i did. I guess i was right. LOL I had drank ALOT.

If you get in the groove on some local club rides you find a new upper Heart Rate limit for sure.

It took me a long while to get really comfortable on the road bike. Now I am pretty comfortable in traffic. I would even say that I enjoy riding in NYC!

Don't be too quick to poo-poo the road bike. It can be your best tool to sucess on the MTB. Really.

j

Back
Top Bottom