Pinch me... am I dreaming?

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Here's reason # 4,000,001 to deal with a reputable LBS.
Advocacy.

My 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite is my axe, my love and my freedom. But I started having perplexing issues with shifting that weren't quite fixed with a simple adjustment or my new(and after over 6500 miles on the bike, needed) cassette and chain.

Rob at Pedal Sports went over my bike with a fine tooth comb and found that the cable guide under the bottom bracket was flattening out, leaving the cable to rub the frame and like a tiny hacksaw the cable was wearing a groove into the finish.

The day my bike was in the shop, the Specialized rep happened in and Rob showed him the bike. Well, I guess Rob did some good talking because Specialized is now replacing my frame... with a hot new 2009 frame!!!

Am I dreaming? Replacing my frame? Because of a small groove? I tell you, Specialized stands behind their products and their dealers.

Most of all, I consider myself SO lucky that I happened upon this shop two years ago. When other shops looked at me and wanted to sell me a comfort bike or a cruiser, the guys at Pedal Sports took the time to listen and fit me to the perfect bike. Now, they're my motivators, my team and my friends. I can't even begin to tell you how much these guys mean to me. It's amazing how much my life has changed for the better because of them.

Try to get that from Wally World.

Rob, you ROCK!!!

Last edited:

mwlikesbikes

That's awesome! I've never even heard of that little plastic guide wearing out. I'll have to look at the one on my roadie. (of course I don't put in the road miles that you do!)
I'm curious as to how deep the groove actually was.

C

chainstretcher

Here's reason # 4,000,001 to deal with a reputable LBS.
Advocacy.

My 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite is my axe, my love and my freedom. But I started having perplexing issues with shifting that weren't quite fixed with a simple adjustment or my new(and after over 6500 miles on the bike, needed) cassette and chain.

Rob at Pedal Sports went over my bike with a fine tooth comb and found that the cable guide under the bottom bracket was flattening out, leaving the cable to rub the frame and like a tiny hacksaw the cable was wearing a groove into the finish.

The day my bike was in the shop, the Specialized rep happened in and Rob showed him the bike. Well, I guess Rob did some good talking because Specialized is now replacing my frame... with a hot new 2009 frame!!!

Am I dreaming? Replacing my frame? Because of a small groove? I tell you, Specialized stands behind their products and their dealers.

Most of all, I consider myself SO lucky that I happened upon this shop two years ago. When other shops looked at me and wanted to sell me a comfort bike or a cruiser, the guys at Pedal Sports took the time to listen and fit me to the perfect bike. Now, they're my motivators, my team and my friends. I can't even begin to tell you how much these guys mean to me. It's amazing how much my life has changed for the better because of them.

Try to get that from Wally World.

Rob, you ROCK!!!

thats good stuff, sounds like a real stand-up shop, im gonna have to check them out!!
yer a lucky mofo!

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
thats good stuff, sounds like a real stand-up shop, im gonna have to check them out!!
yer a lucky mofo!

Oh, I certainly am, you have no idea!!

And my lips are tighter than a 'something' 'something' so I don't jinx it,
but the frame they're replacing it with... :eek: I can't even think about it and breathe at the same time.

If I knew that I'd wind up with such a 'full service shop', I might have driven up from Philly for it.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
That's awesome! I've never even heard of that little plastic guide wearing out. I'll have to look at the one on my roadie. (of course I don't put in the road miles that you do!)

Significant enough to cut through the finish and into the carbon.
And significant enough to cause a permanent groove that interferes with the cable and makes shifting generally suck.
All in all maybe 1/32nd of an inch deep by 2/3" long.

You'd never actually see it unless you flipped the bike over and went over it inch by inch. That's what Rob did and that's how he showed it to me when I walked in the shop. He did a great job of rigging it up so it doesn't rub for now, but Monday, the new frame should be in.:D

Last edited:

VGT

Know those guys well

Good story...but not one that is unique to Rob (owner) and the guys at Pedal Sports. In my opinion that is a top notch shop and they always take exceptional care of you. I am lucky to live only 5 minutes from them. Rob and the guys also take time to ride with thier customers and really build great rapport. Rob's dry sense of humor is good too.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG

I had to replace that very part on my roadie after around 1500 miles.
I bought 2 from the shop and have a spare now don't know if the first one was just cheap or what but I keep an eye on it now just in case.

Robson

Cyclopath, are you lucky or something....Great news!!! What frame you getting? And now it will look better than mine:-(

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Cyclopath, are you lucky or something....Great news!!! What frame you getting? And now it will look better than mine:-(

No way Rob, your bike is hot.
You know I was drooling over yours big time.
There's just something about that blue and white that just does it for me.
I'd have been very happy with that color scheme again, and definitely with that frame, heck I'd have been happy if this never happened:( but since it did, I have to move on. Rob's just making sure it's easier for me to do it.

Last edited:

Robson

Good luck with your new ride! If I'm not to lazy next saturday maybe I'll have a chance to see it;)

liong71er

good karma.

hi cyclopath,.....good thing always happening to good people,and that person is you!!that's good karma or bleesing.

after reading this,i begin to think should i go with road bike or stick with mtb???

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
hi cyclopath,.....good thing always happening to good people,and that person is you!!that's good karma or bleesing.

after reading this,i begin to think should i go with road bike or stick with mtb???
Same here. I'm trying to convince my wife into letting me get a road bike. I have to get rid of one of my bikes first.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
It's here.

My frame came in yesterday, direct from Utah...
I went to visit it today.
My heart is all a pitter patter.

I'll have one last weekend with my Roubaix Elite.

Next week I rock a Roubaix Pro.

I'm not worthy.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I'm sure you're worthy. Do you have to give them your old frame? I guess the shop is going to do the swap out of compoenets and parts for you? I wonder what they charge.

Top Bottom