Pinch me... am I dreaming?

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
I'm sure you're worthy. Do you have to give them your old frame? I guess the shop is going to do the swap out of compoenets and parts for you? I wonder what they charge.

I'll gladly take the old "broken" frame off your hands, since it's just going to be a bother for you. ;)

MTB Aussie

Everyone else, remember to lube that little thingy when you lube other stuff on yer bike. It will save some of the grinding. If you a like me, the cables get a little stuck down there from bottle spillage too and some lube will prevent that. It would suck to have this happen and not get a replacement frame.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Everyone else, remember to lube that little thingy when you lube other stuff on yer bike. It will save some of the grinding.

While it certainly wouldn't hurt to pay attention to that area, lubing had little to do with the issue I encountered.

This bike is taking a while to put together since I am still trying to decide which upgrades or combinations to go with. I have a triple but want to go to a double and am fighting myself over putting on a compact. I'll need the lower end for the hills but I will spin out the other end, limiting my top speed(I live for speed). I have 105 but anything less then Ultegra on this frame would be... embarrassing. Dura-Ace... well, I'd love to, but that would cost as much as a transmission for my car.

So, as lovely and wonderful and exciting as this all is, it does come at a cost. Fortunately I was ready to do some upgrades so in that light, it's not a bad time for this to happen. None the less, since I do not have unlimited funds, it's not an easy decision.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
It is finished. I helped take my bike apart today.
I watched Rob transfer the parts I was keeping to the new frame.

Then I held the old, naked frame in my hands. It was so cold and stiff :( small and sad. I turned it over to see the fatal gash. With all the cables removed, the wound looked much larger. Moment of silence. The frame was laid to rest in the box the new one came in, ready to return to Specialized. (Seems they want the old frame back when they send out a replacement... sorry guys). My new BB comes in tomorrow and the transformation will be complete.

I came home with a couple handfuls of discarded parts that hope to find life on another bike one day.
In the garage tonight, the first hook is very empty.

picture.php

Goodbye old friend.:(

Last edited:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Maiden Voyage...

Wow!

Smooth like butter.
Fits like a glove, like it was always a part of me.
Climbs... better than the Elite ever did. Stiff, sure, easy.
Descended... as solid and smooth at 40 mph as if I was standing still.
He's sweet for sure.

I think I need a few more rides before I know if I really like it.;)

picture.php

:D

Last edited:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
What if any upgrades did you make?

So far,

Bottle cage, Dura-Ace brakes.
Ultegra casette, chain, BB and Front Deraileur. Otherwise, it's the 105 group.

Oh, and then there's the frame worth significantly more than I paid for my original bike.

I'm on a mission to earn my Duo in the hills before I complete upgrades.
If today's ride bears any significance, I'm well on my way!!:D

Oh, and that picture does NOT do it justice.
This bike is stealth. In a really good way.:cool:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Thanks guys.

It's just amazing so far.
The old frame was really nice, but this one...
I'm simply awed that this bike landed in my hands.

Ask me how I feel about Rob and Pedal Sports now.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Well, that was fun.
3 1/2 months and 1,700 miles in, my bike is toast.

I've been chasing a creak for the last few weeks and have pulled out and treated the post, oiled my cleats and checked everything you might want to check on a 3 month old bike. A little better, the sound would come and go.

Last Thursday I ran over a screw which instantly flatted the back tire. I flipped the bike over and pulled the wheel off and then noticed the bonding area at the seat stay looked a little funky. The paint had flaked off around the bond area in three small places and there appeared to be a tad of white powder underneath. I don't think this should happen, but WTF do I know? I make a mental note to point it out to Rob.

So, I bring the bike in yesterday and Tony flips it over in the stand to see this little area and says, "I think you should stop riding this bike... like right now.":scared: Can you say 'Galvanic Corrosion'? Basically, the bonding failed and the carbon and aluminum are eating each other up and it's only a matter of time before she blows. Thank God I don't find this out while sailing down a hill at 45mph!

Long story short, a replacement Roubaix Pro frame is en route from Utah but they don't have my red one. Looks like I'll be getting the gloss white frame. I don't like the gloss white.:mad: I think they should send me the red or yellow S-Works frame... don't you?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=09Roubaix&eid=117

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Yea, one of the first things I thought was... "Damn, I'm starting to break bikes like elzoller.:p

I really shouldn't complain but red and yellow are fast colors, white is not... I don't want a slow bike:rolleyes:.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Yea, one of the first things I thought was... "Damn, I'm starting to break bikes like elzoller.:p

I really shouldn't complain but red and yellow are fast colors, white is not... I don't want a slow bike:rolleyes:.

Yeah, I forgot to mention... I wasn't around when this happened, so you guys can clean my bad rap :popcorn:

Shaggz

A strong 7
Isn't this the second one? Kudos to Pedal Sports for catching that and helping resolve the problem.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG

White is the new pink! ;)

Really glad you and Tony caught that, and you can get a new one.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
White is the new pink! ;)

Sure, sure. That's easy for you to say while sporting that hot new RED and BLACK carbon bike! :rolleyes:

Really glad you and Tony caught that, and you can get a new one.

Me too because the alternative wouldn't be too pretty. They do take real good care of me at Pedal Sports. I'd like to think it's because I'm special, but alas, they're like that to everyone.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Isn't this the second one? Kudos to Pedal Sports for catching that and helping resolve the problem.

Yep. Second warranty replacement. First time I was upgraded from the Roubaix Elite to the Pro. The Pro is less than four months old. I was hoping they'd upgrade me again to the S-works, but that would be unreal. I should just be glad they don't downgrade me back to what I originally had.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
OUCH!!! You pinched me!!!

Seems it was but a dream.
Pedal Sports is batting for me, but Specialized doesn't feel the need to replace the Roubaix Pro '09 with the same bike. They feel a Pro '08 was close enough to my old bike and I should be happy they don't downgrade me back to a '07 Elite. I believed in Specialized commitment to quality and to their consumers and felt that after all the troubles I had, they did right by me when they upgraded. But now I am feeling really slighted here. I'm not grateful to go backwards after riding a dream bike for just three months. The first bike went down from a manufacturer's defect and this one is a materials issue, not an abuse, misuse or anything on my part. I would expect them to replace it across or up, not down. Am I being silly?

I've been having serious anxiety issues over the whole deal. I know the carbon is a lesser grade on the '08. The frame is close but lacks the meaty bottom bracket(I felt that difference immediately when I rode it) and doesn't have the same unbearably sexy offset seatstays. It's crazy, but it's so much more than a bike and it hurts like hell to not have it. Seriously, at the shop, I pulled the seatpost to put in a loaner ride I'm using and I got all teary eyed and red-faced. This stuff is painful!!

So today, Tony puts the new Fed-Ex'd frame in my hands. It's an '08. The color isn't bad. But it takes a clamp on deralieur, I just bought a braze on when I got the Pro three months ago and gave away my clamp on. Ugh!!
Then the kicker, the size is wrong. The size is wrong!!! In a 52cm box they sent a 54cm. Back to square one and Rob was back on the phone leaving a message for the rep.

This is my last hope. Maybe they will find a new '09 Pro in a 52 and all will be well in the world. If not, I'll be the one riding all over the state heartbroken and bawling:cry:.

I'll keep you posted.

G

goldiloks

If I am reading this correctly they are still upgrading you from your original bike right? I'd be happy to be still getting an upgrade as they could replace it back to your original bike. IMHO it seems like you are still getting a good deal so instead of :cry: consider yourself lucky and start :) - its all in the attitude!

Top Bottom