Pinch Flats

goldsbar

Not sure what size tires, but if your running narrow try 2.25"+. You can pinch with tubeless. Been there done that and I'm only 155lbs. I ran tubes with wide tires on my old 26er at 25 psi and never pinched them. But yeah, tubeless is the way to go.

TheBikeGuy1

Shop: The Bicycle Hub
Shop Keep
hey i was reading about your problems with pinch flats i could offer you some knowledge .. i was wondering if they were 26" wheels and when the tubes were purchased and what brand the tubes were there was a while back a batch of tubes that had been in circulation around area shops. if they were purchased in the winter or late summer they may be part of this is a majority of them were failing at the valve area because of a reduced layer of rubber if this is the case you should see your local bike shop and find out if they are aware of this in most cases they will give you new tubes free of charge but they will want to see the tubes to make sure... since this time however it is rare to find a bad tube becuase most were pulled and returned but it is possible ... if you have any questions message me ...

loggerhead

The only way I rarely got any type of flats running tubes was to run the p.s.i. up to about 50. Traction, was pretty much non-existant thru rock fields.

moray42

Merman
Thought i'd resurrect this thread to ask a question that honestly seems a bit ridiculous to me, so i am sure it will to others as well. Just got my first 29er, a Raleigh XXIX i picked up used. Will Probably go tubeless eventually, but at the moment is still running the tubed Exiwolf's it was spec'd with. Anyway, when i first picked it up the pressure was up to the point that it was like riding a rock. Today i dropped the pressure to 30psi per tire, but it feels a bit harder than i remember my 26 feeling when i was running tubed at 30psi. Has anyone else ever experienced this kind of difference with a 29"? Anyone manage to pull off lower pressures without getting much in the way of flats? Like i said, i will probably take this bike tubeless as well eventually, but until then i was going to stick with the tubes (unless they become a PIA).

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's possible 29er tires have more volume so you can run them at slightly lower pressure, although don't quote me on that. Look at fat bike tires .. you can run them at 3psi. On my 2.3 width tires, I can run lower pressure than my 2.1 tires. Also, if the tire is harder, you can run them at lower pressure like my Nevagals.

In terms of pinch flatting, there is no magic number. Everyone is different and every gauge will tell you a different number. You just have to take out little bit at a time until you find the magic # for your weight, riding style and gauge.

Last edited:

moray42

Merman
Cool, that is pretty much what i was looking for. Makes sense since along with being 29's they are also 2.3 as opposed to the 2.1's i have on the 26. So yeah, the volume is significantly different. I'll just keep tweaking it then to see what works.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Also consider that a 2.5 tire I have from WTB is smaller than a 2.2 I have from Geax. Tires vary wildly in size, brand to brand.

Consider that the flex and sidewall stiffness of tires varies as well.

one piece crank

Talking tubes here - rim width, in relation to tire width, is also a factor. So while a nice wide tire helps, that same tire on a wider rim is even better.

Tom P.

Top Bottom