pg-990 cassette

gadgetq

good evening ladies.

my bike seems to be heavier then most. i would like to lighten up. (i'm not going to buy another bike just ,yet i would like to win some ribbins with this one first). i noticed at the lewis morris race some women were racing with the sram pg-990 cassette. i'm currently using the sram pg-970 which weights 105g more (ie.. almost 1/2 pound more) then the pg-990 .

i have read quite a bit of negative reviews about this cassette. i was wondering if any ladies racing would recommened upgrading to it or not?

thanks for your time :)

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
good evening ladies.

my bike seems to be heavier then most. i would like to lighten up. (i'm not going to buy another bike just ,yet i would like to win some ribbins with this one first). i noticed at the lewis morris race some women were racing with the sram pg-990 cassette. i'm currently using the sram pg-970 which weights 105g more (ie.. almost 1/2 pound more) then the pg-990 .

i have read quite a bit of negative reviews about this cassette. i was wondering if any ladies racing would recommened upgrading to it or not?

thanks for your time :)

I would look at other parts of the bike to try and lose weight. Wheels, tires, saddles, cranks and pedals can hide a lot of weight in them. They are also easier to replace than the cassette.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I would look at other parts of the bike to try and lose weight. Wheels, tires, saddles, cranks and pedals can hide a lot of weight in them. They are also easier to replace than the cassette.

Mixmaster Mike knows what's up here:D A cassette isn't the best place to get weight down, especially being that from a 970 to a 990 is only a 37 gram savings. Wheels are the biggest savings you can get, a higher-end set with nice tires and light tubes can be several pounds off your bike...

-Jim.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Dito with the wheels idea. Good wheels, will roll faster, climb easier.

Try to post your whole list of parts up here and let others make suggestions. Certain upgrades will go farther:

For example: A good fork can improve your performance and riding and yet may not weight less, and contrary, If a light saddle hurts your butt, you will hate to ride your bike :mad:

gadgetq

i like the rim idea. not sure about the bolts though. my rims are Race Lite Tubeless Ready Disc.

the saddle is the bontrager race lite fix lux and the seat post is bontrager race x light carbon.

i have ordered the 990 its 105 grams lighter then i currently have. all the weight seems at the back end of the bike. if i don't like it i can always put back the 970.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
i have ordered the 990 its 105 grams lighter then i currently have. all the weight seems at the back end of the bike. if i don't like it i can always put back the 970.

Let us know if the new cassette makes a difference. I was not able to tell the difference between the 970 and 990

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I have not used the 990 cog set, but know many people that do, and have not heard any complaints.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I only have about a month on my 990 and so far it has been perfect (not that I'd expect any issues this early). I just hope it doesn't do what my XT one did previously...the carrier "stretched" over time and got loose on the drive shell. The engagement teeth were not worn, the carrier actually got bigger. Very strange. There was not any lateral play.

Oh well, I can say the red on the 990 sure is purty against the blue CK hub...;)

Glancing Aft

I'm on my 3rd 990 in one year, so I'm not too happy with them... Most of it though is probably due to "user error" :getsome:

Glancing Aft

First one was entirely my fault, as I bent a few teeth out on one of the gears acting stupidly in a race... The next two seem to just be from wear and tear. The teeth seem to wear down fairly fast on them and I get chain skipage. It seems that if I'm lucky I get about 6 months out of one of them. I do ride a lot, but it still seems like a short life to me. I just bought a new one and everything is great, so I'd recommend them, just don't expect to get too long of a life out of it (at least if you are me)...

Top Bottom