Petition for crossing signs at S.Middlebush Rd. For 6 Mile Run.

Dingo

Jeeze is this the kumbaya world? Just recounted previous experience with this. If people are interested in the details:

Our town proposed a postal consolidation which would have resulted in our town name/zip code changing - our community was opposed. As a first step, someone in our community conducted a change.org petition and presented it at the commissioners meeting. They basically got laughed out of the meeting - so in effect it cost us time and credibility. Ended up going back and conducting a physical paper signed petition, which the commissioners accepted and we eventually prevailed. Now maybe somerset county officials are not nearly as savvy about online petitions compared to a bunch of old coots in Florida but I doubt it. YMMV
But that's Florida, and it's fucked up.:cool:
Main thing is showing how many users will benefit from a safer crossing. I like the idea of showing strava results, the fact the trail is rated 52/100 best mtb, pictures of similar road crossings. It will all add up to help. What we don't need is an injury to prove the need. When it comes to public safety, they usually listen up.

Last edited by a moderator:

pygmypony

signed!....also, remember how NICE this was?!

1564499935550.png

rick81721

Lothar
Apples and oranges.

We just want to add a more visible sign. And we've seen several examples of similar situations with better signage. We're not changing postal codes.

OK I guess I should have read the petition more thoroughly. I thought the idea was a crossing/stop walk where traffic would have to come to a stop to allow us to cross S. middlebush, which is obviously a much bigger deal than just a sign. Never mind!

Dingo

OK I guess I should have read the petition more thoroughly. I thought the idea was a crossing/stop walk where traffic would have to come to a stop to allow us to cross S. middlebush, which is obviously a much bigger deal than just a sign. Never mind!
I'm hoping for a crossing/stop with lights :) But anything is better than what is there now.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Noble effort but we went down this path several times in our FL community. Local governments put little credence in online petitions, especially "change.org" ( have they ever changed anything?). Biggest problem is they are unverifiable and one person can "sign" it multiple times with fake names/email addresses.
Very honest comment., I too have been down the Change.org path a few times and the township might not look at it but you never know..

allygadget

I am happy to get paper signatures going as well. I think what really counts and proves things are calls, emails and showing up at meetings in support. I'm going to work my hardest to get this on an agenda and when it happens I will let all parties know and we can show face at the meeting.

Ian F

I'm a little confused. There are already trail crossing signs on the road. Maybe if they were yellow and a bit more obvious?

Honestly, even at rush-hour I never thought the crossing was a big deal. So I might have to wait a minute or so. I'll live.

For better or worse, we live in a reactionary world. Nothing is likely to happen until someone gets hit and killed.

Another course of action is to approach the park staff. They may have more pull with the township being an official entitiy. The conversation could go something like this:

Park: "Some of our users don't feel safe crossing South Middlebush. We'd like to get approval to install more visible signage for the crossing. Our users are willing to pay for the signs."

TWP: "So it won't cost us anything?"

Park: "No."

TWP: "Fine... "

Or... someone buys new signs and they "magically" change over some dark night... ;)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions