Perfect Park Bike?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
So many new riders hitting up the parks these days. In your opinion, what's the best setup and why? I'm talking mostly lift-assisted riding. Many new "enduro" bikes are more than capable but come with 10-52T 12-speed cassettes. Why would you need that on a bike with 170mm or 180mm of travel? To me, that's not an ideal park bike, not to mention it's too big for most enduro races and would make a terrible trail bike. On the other hand, a DH bike with 210mm of travel might be too heavy and cumbersome for a novice or casual rider, someone who's hitting mostly groomed and flow trails.

I always liked Norco. I think they nailed it with their Shore Park model. That to me is a great park bike that both a novice and experienced rider will enjoy. It's not carbon so you don't have to worry about crashing and it's under $4k.
1611676886142.png

Ian F

No arguments - the Shore does look like a nice bike.

I use my Megatower for Park riding, although it does have trail gearing.

Oddly enough, the Tora Cycles "BMW Link" frame I'm looking at can be set up as a single-speed, which is something I will definitely consider. I'll admit for park riding I rarely do a lot of shifting and I could probably figure out a single speed ratio that would work well enough.

Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As a strictly park bike I would go dual crown and 27.5. Commencal Furious. Done.

I agree you do not want to ride Eagle at a bike park. Cage is way too long... I’ve broken enough GX 11spd derailleurs as it is.

Full DH race bikes are too planted to be fun for the weekend park warrior. They have mostly gone 29er and are just made to roll over chunk at Mach speed.... not poppy at all.

All things considered, unless I decide to do a full DH race season (which is always in the back of my head), I’ll stick to 170mm enduro rig. I’ve ridden every inch of Creek on my Commencal Meta, at speed, and it has taken it like a champ.

Ian F

I agree about DH race bikes not always making the best park bikes. I learned that the hard way with my M16C - I just don't have the skills needed to go fast enough on that bike.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I like that we're seeing "freeride" bikes again. Most of us don't do proper north shore stuff but the idea is the same -- fun but stable and no need to climb. I'm hoping the FR rigs will clarify what an enduro bike is, some of which are 180mm and 62 degree HA. "Enduro" as a whole is just way overused, as 90% of enduro bike riders don't race enduro. It's a long travel trail bike or park bike or both for most of us.

I was at piermont bikes the other day and although yetis are rich for my blood I think they're onto something having very different sb150 and 165 bikes. The 150 is air shock and 170mm up front -- can still be pedaled somewhat. While the 165 is coil rear and 180mm up front -- pure park bike.

With these 38mm single crown forks i think we'll start to see 75% of park bikes as single coil now.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I like that we're seeing "freeride" bikes again. Most of us don't do proper north shore stuff but the idea is the same -- fun but stable and no need to climb. I'm hoping the FR rigs will clarify what an enduro bike is, some of which are 180mm and 62 degree HA. "Enduro" as a whole is just way overused, as 90% of enduro bike riders don't race enduro. It's a long travel trail bike or park bike or both for most of us.

I was at piermont bikes the other day and although yetis are rich for my blood I think they're onto something having very different sb150 and 165 bikes. The 150 is air shock and 170mm up front -- can still be pedaled somewhat. While the 165 is coil rear and 180mm up front -- pure park bike.

With these 38mm single crown forks i think we'll start to see 75% of park bikes as single coil now.
Piermont bikes? Where do you live? I'm in West Nyack, NY.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
No arguments - the Shore does look like a nice bike.

I use my Megatower for Park riding, although it does have trail gearing.

Oddly enough, the Tora Cycles "BMW Link" frame I'm looking at can be set up as a single-speed, which is something I will definitely consider. I'll admit for park riding I rarely do a lot of shifting and I could probably figure out a single speed ratio that would work well enough.
That would be interesting for sure. Does it use a chain tensioner or does the linkage eliminate all chain pull?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Enduro has gone the way of CX. Technically it isn’t a cross bike unless you race CX. That being said, by saying Cx bike, you know what it is, similar to a enduro bikes.

At this point I think you need to define “park bike”. Is this a park bike?

Yes.

In any case, I rode my 5010 at creek and for the flow stuff it only seemed outgunned on the fastest stuff.

obviously, the rocky stuff is a different story , I’m sure you have people at creek that only hit the flow.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring

Yes.

Sick bike. I would probably die if I tried riding that at Creek. :oops:

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Enduro bike with 180 duel crown is a hoot at creek, 150 rear can sometimes feel undergunned but more than makes up for it with the amount of pop . Not sure about that norco , high pivots are cool for race speed but there certainly not the most playful and that bike is a tank .

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Enduro bike with 180 duel crown is a hoot at creek, 150 rear can sometimes feel undergunned but more than makes up for it with the amount of pop . Not sure about that norco , high pivots are cool for race speed but there certainly not the most playful and that bike is a tank .
I don't disagree but I'd feel more confident on the Norco if I were to end up on a steep, rocky and technical trail. Not everything has flow. :)

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
obviously, the rocky stuff is a different story , I’m sure you have people at creek that only hit the flow.
I love sitting in line at Creek listening to people complain that they drove all the way there and there’s only four trails lol. Creek ain’t about the flow. If you want to become a sick downhill rider you go slam the rocks. There are trails at creek that only saw a dozen riders all year and those are my favorite trails.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I love sitting in line at Creek listening to people complain that they drove all the way there and there’s only four trails lol. Creek ain’t about the flow. If you want to become a sick downhill rider you go slam the rocks. There are trails at creek that only saw a dozen riders all year and those are my favorite trails.
🖤I'm riding with you this summer!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Piermont bikes? Where do you live? I'm in West Nyack, NY.
I'm in westwood NJ, like 15 min south of piermont. Westwood cycle is our local shop (and also tenafly bikes since my son rides for the NICA team they sponsor) but we love Piermont bikes and go there every few weekends to drool over the premium brands. They also do good maintenance work IMO.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy

Yes.
The dual suss DJs have been slopestyle bikes for a while and I'd like to keep that phrase around, since yes, the bike's use is within "park," but it's a niche bike and besides, slopestyle sounds cool. That said, that bike would be perfect for dominion.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I'm in westwood NJ, like 15 min south of piermont. Westwood cycle is our local shop (and also tenafly bikes since my son rides for the NICA team they sponsor) but we love Piermont bikes and go there every few weekends to drool over the premium brands. They also do good maintenance work IMO.
Nice, not far from Blauvelt, where I often ride. Piermont has great mechanics and in my opinion fast repair turnaround. I like Tenafly and Shepard but he's a little too far from me.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Nice, not far from Blauvelt, where I often ride. Piermont has great mechanics and in my opinion fast repair turnaround. I like Tenafly and Shepard but he's a little too far from me.
Cool. I ride alpine (and a little rinky dink loop in emerson on weekdays). Actually I haven't ridden Blauvelt before. Been lazy about trail riding the past year.

Top Bottom