Penn St, Altoona, anyone?

walter

Fourth Party
Me and oldest offspring are heading out tomorrow for a tour of Penn St Altoona, is anyone familiar with the area? I'm not looking for anything important, i just need some ideas for food after the tour is over. Late lunch/early dinner, bar type places are cool, prefer to NOT do a major chain. So far we've got Als Tavern and the local Primanti Bros. Any others?

Me and oldest offspring are heading out tomorrow for a tour of Penn St Altoona, is anyone familiar with the area? I'm not looking for anything important, i just need some ideas for food after the tour is over. Late lunch/early dinner, bar type places are cool, prefer to NOT do a major chain. So far we've got Als Tavern and the local Primanti Bros. Any others?
That's great, my son is also considering. Let me know how you like it!

Primanti Bros

You ever eat here?

We were in Lancaster yesterday and I demanded we get that after the last basketball game of the weekend before we hit the road. My stepson may remember this moment for the rest of his life. The sandwiches are legit. I highly recommend. Mostly located mid-to-west PA so ther're not all over AFAIK.

If I were to open a place in Altoona I would make it a fish shop. Or a minor league baseball team. Everything out there should be the Altoona Fish.

Watch what you order at Primanti Bros. My son didn't realize they put coleslaw on ALL their sandwiches and ordered sausage and peppers. Not a good combo.

That's great, my son is also considering. Let me know how you like it!
My daughter wasnt into it. It was her second campus choice behind University Park, and while they offered some money in lieu of, i dont think shes gonna accept. Its small, smaller than some community colleges Ive been to. The campus itself has only about 6-8 buildings, not including the four dorms. There is also a downtown campus, with about 6 more buildings, but we were told its a 15-20 minute ride. There is only one food hall, so if you are planning on using a meal plan, you will eat from the same place daily. It was a nice campus, but shes looking for something bigger and more lively. The almost 5 hour drive there killed her thoughts of coming home in the event she got bored lol.

You ever eat here?

We were in Lancaster yesterday and I demanded we get that after the last basketball game of the weekend before we hit the road. My stepson may remember this moment for the rest of his life. The sandwiches are legit. I highly recommend. Mostly located mid-to-west PA so ther're not all over AFAIK.

If I were to open a place in Altoona I would make it a fish shop. Or a minor league baseball team. Everything out there should be the Altoona Fish.
I have, definitely good stuff!

My wife did two years at Hazleton, and a friend of hers started at Altoona. They both liked State College about 1,000,000 times better. Also, Rothrock > Raystown.
Well yeah, the sat. campuses are an option to get into the system...

My daughter wasnt into it. It was her second campus choice behind University Park, and while they offered some money in lieu of, i dont think shes gonna accept. Its small, smaller than some community colleges Ive been to. The campus itself has only about 6-8 buildings, not including the four dorms. There is also a downtown campus, with about 6 more buildings, but we were told its a 15-20 minute ride. There is only one food hall, so if you are planning on using a meal plan, you will eat from the same place daily. It was a nice campus, but shes looking for something bigger and more lively. The almost 5 hour drive there killed her thoughts of coming home in the event she got bored lol.
thanks. That's exactly what my son was worried about.

Are ay of them shaped like fish?

Where did you end up eating? This story needs closure.
No fish shaped buildings that i could see, put there was a turtle in this pond
20210412_153452_HDR.jpg
It rained the whole ride there and was supposed to rain (and did) the whole ride home so we stopped off by State College and got some burgers.

thanks. That's exactly what my son was worried about.
It seems most kids can do the 2+2 option depending on their major, but I dont think that even guarantees your first choice. My daughter got into the nursing program and most of the nursing classes were in the downtown campus. That ride would be the equivalent of her commuting to RU from home, which is also an option. Are you familiar with any of the local colleges so i can give you a size reference of the Altoona campus?

It seems most kids can do the 2+2 option depending on their major, but I dont think that even guarantees your first choice. My daughter got into the nursing program and most of the nursing classes were in the downtown campus. That ride would be the equivalent of her commuting to RU from home, which is also an option. Are you familiar with any of the local colleges so i can give you a size reference of the Altoona campus?
we visited PSU Harrisburg and it sounds very similar. He's transferring after a covid freshman year at CCM, but transfer students must go to a branch campus if they want to go to PSU. bummer.

we visited PSU Harrisburg and it sounds very similar. He's transferring after a covid freshman year at CCM, but transfer students must go to a branch campus if they want to go to PSU. bummer.
How was PSU Harrisburg? My son is looking to transfer for Mechanical Engineering Technology. Not many choices.

Back
Top Bottom