Penalty for Riding in a Place You're Not Supposed to Ride

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not that I would ever consider it, but what can be some of the penalties for riding in a place you're not supposed to ride? ticket? impounding? misdemeanor for trespassing? jail-time? beat-down? Any 1st hand accounts?

The Kalmyk

This will warrant some interesting reponses...To your questions I honestly couldn't tell or I would have to throw you in the Raritan with cement shoes:)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Never have had a problem on a bicycle. While dirtbiking, I have probably been chased by cops in patrol cars or quads about 20 times, but they couldnt have caught me even if I was riding my bicycle. So fun having them try though. Only once at saxton falls about 10 years ago did a cop sit and wait by my truck for us to get back. She was pretty cool though. She said "tell you what, if you can get loaded up and out of here in 5 minutes, I wont give you a ticket" Needless to say that we got the bikes on the truck in record time. Friend of mine got caught riding in franklin and got tickets for unregistered, uninsured vehicle (which is a NJ trap since you cant register or title a motocross bike), and tresspassing, and they inpounded his bike. I think he had to pay about $1000 in fines, etc. I highly doubt anything that drastic would happen to a mountain biker. Most likely just a ticket for tresspassing.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That, or public stoning.

"I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, 'That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.'"

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
When they began enforcing the mtb ban at South Mountain, there were all kinds of stories of tickets and impounded bikes. We used to ride the color-blazed hiking trails in Cheesequake way back in the day as well, and heard the same thing about that place when the rangers starting being more watchful for mountain bikes.

I immediately ceased riding at both places, so I have no further personal experience with this stuff. Even the idea of having to go to an auction to get my bike back was more than enough to scare me off.:eek:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
coming from a skating and then bmx background, I have had my fair share of run-ins and run aways from the cops.

Bike related, there was a pakring garage in downtown York, that had 2 underground level, hence protected from wind and such, making it the perfect winter skating and riding location when there was snow on the ground or really cold.

When street riding one night, we were on the sidewalk and a cop on foot stopped us and told us to not ride on the sidewalk. So like any normal rider, me walk to the first corner and then got back on the bikes. So after riding around a bit we rode into the parking garage and met some of our flatlanding friends in there. About 10 min later, the cop comes walking down the ramp and grabs my friend and pushes him against the wall. I was a half level down and could have easily sprinted out but didn't want to get our friends in trouble since there cars were in there. So they got me too and so other kid and the cop told the two guys that were already down there to leave before he changed his mind. The cop said he saw us ride on the sidewalk to get into the garage. So the cop cuffed us, brought us to street level, sat us down and questioned us for 20 min, put us in the paddywagon for another 20 and then gave us a ticket and let us go. The one kid was a minor, so he got taken down to the station.

It was a 3rd degree misdemeanor or maybe a summary offense and when it was all said and done I only paid $55 bucks! I laughed when I paid the billed and said to myself, I will be riding on the sidewalk in 10 min! My friend was not so lucky since he didnt have a job and he got 40 hours community service and a $300 fine. Dumb-ass.

To sum this up: If you are street, flee because the likelyhood of getting caught is slim. If you are riding trails where you shouldn't, then stop. (or at least don't tell anyone and don't get caught).

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I hear they chain you to a podium and throw clipless shoes at you. (maybe winter shoes, even?)

gtluke

The Moped
I've been riding in the off limits areas on and off for the entire length of the ban. I've never been even yelled at. I have never even met someone that has had any legal threat at them.
Just be polite, and avoid the parking lots and the main trails that lead to the lookouts that are the high foot traffic roads.

sixseven

Karma penalty is pretty severe. You end up gaining 200 lbs and become a recumbent enthusiast. You will spend most of your time knitting seat covers for your recumbent and wondering what color flag you should have on it.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
a couple of months ago, a friend and i were starting work on a pump-track. it was getting dark and the spot must have been a little too visible. A cop came up and questioned us saying that he though we were digging graves. We laughed it off, and he recommended that if we really enjoyed playing in the mud, we should do it further back in the woods.

good stuff.

other times i've gotten kicked out of skate-parks, corporate building's courtyards, etc. nothing drastic.

jimjo

ive heard lots of rumors of things confiscation, tickets, being chased by cops on atv's i think most of that is folklore from yesteryear.

i have friends who may or may not ride in these supposed places, and have not had a problem...more times then not, other riders are encountered, AND most people inquire about wanting to ride there as well

Panhead

That, or public stoning.

If thats what you call punishment sign me up. Oops I misread that:D

Learn some phrases from an eastern European country. When quesioned give a blank look and repeat the words you know, 90% chance of riding away.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I beleive there is a non-pursuit law in NJ and NY, so I would doubt that any rangers would chase anyone down while riding. However some places may ticket if they feel bikers are abusing a law.

Recently, my friend's 14 yr old son was handcuffed and taken away by county police for building dirt jumps. Since then, my friend has taken steps to try to find legal access for these kids. Unfortunately, this is not easy and could take years, and these kids may be off to college before then. Thankful that one dad takes the time for the next generation.

If interested in improving access in the future, get involved in changing the laws or contact Jorba to see what you can do for your favorite park.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
here in essex county, during september there was a bit more police activity around mills and eagle rock, so our group rides became road rides for a few weeks....

apparently one person got a ticket for riding, but thats all. the signs say that your bike can be impounded...so its best to be careful.

rockmonster

Eternal Beginner
He let me go with a warning, and $100 fine. Glad to get out of there, we rode back on the road and then cut back into the trail. I have been back but it still gives me the creeps to ride there. It's ok that peoples dump trash including dead bodys, have openly gay sex, set fires, Sleep/live Yet it's my bike that gets me in trouble there. Crap i tell ya:getsome:

openly gay sex? I guess you prefer when people have closet gay sex in the public park? hahaha

I rode in south mountain a couple times. Once a grumpy old hiker yelled at me, and the other time I saw some (evidently openly gay) people having sex in the parking lot.

I have not been back.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've been riding in the off limits areas on and off for the entire length of the ban. I've never been even yelled at. I have never even met someone that has had any legal threat at them.

I've experienced the same kind of thing. I've run into rangers and had them ask me how the riding was:rofl:

As long as you're not an ass and are nice to the rangers and/or cops and/or hikers who will call the rangers and/or cops you should be fine. Of course you could always run into the worst case scenario and have your bike taken and get arrested and then get man-raped, but in the 15 years I've been riding a mountain bike, I've NEVER heard of a single incedent where someone's gotten in trouble for riding:hmmm:

-Jim.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Never have had a problem on a bicycle. While dirtbiking, I have probably been chased by cops in patrol cars or quads about 20 times, but they couldnt have caught me even if I was riding my bicycle. So fun having them try though. Only once at saxton falls about 10 years ago did a cop sit and wait by my truck for us to get back. She was pretty cool though. She said "tell you what, if you can get loaded up and out of here in 5 minutes, I wont give you a ticket" Needless to say that we got the bikes on the truck in record time. Friend of mine got caught riding in franklin and got tickets for unregistered, uninsured vehicle (which is a NJ trap since you cant register or title a motocross bike), and tresspassing, and they inpounded his bike. I think he had to pay about $1000 in fines, etc. I highly doubt anything that drastic would happen to a mountain biker. Most likely just a ticket for tresspassing.
My race bike had all the paperwork. It was great cause everyone would bolt and I'd just keep cruisin along til they'd stop me only to find that all they had was the "failure to inspect" option".Those where the days........

bozizle

Watchung

Many years ago they ramped up enforcement when Watchung Reservation was closed to bikers. This however led to many night rides in which cops would always be waiting at the nature center for bikers to come out. They threatened to take your bike and ticket you but I never heard of anyone who got caught or was ticketed.

I cam out of Harshorne lat e one night from a night ride when I went to college down there and a cop was waiting at my car. When I approached he asked me why I was in the park well after hours and told me he was about to tow my car!? I told him I had 2 flat tires durning my ride and was just trying to make it out as fast as possible....when he asked about my night lite I explained I always bring it for saftey and just incase something goes wrong.

Top Bottom