Peezy's Black Magic 2013

icolquhoun

good write-up!
racing at KVSP always kick my ass as well.
The heat and speed never ever let up and get worse every lap; the downhills don't let you cool off. In short, your internal temps keep rising and your heart has to pump a LOT harder to keep everything in check.

Your times are still pretty damn good!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Way to stay tough in the heat, i hate nj summers. Bummed to not see or read about weekend ice cream updates doe. Anyone ever put chocolate ice cream in there cereal for breakfast? I do : )

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry I couldn't hang and heckle. After you guys started, I started getting the dehydration headache and couldn't stand in the sun any longer. I don't think I peed until 8pm.

Hey, and at least you didn't DNF!

soulchild

After you guys started, I started getting the dehydration headache and couldn't stand in the sun any longer. I don't think I peed until 8pm!

I always used to get those dehydration headaches, which 8 out of 10 times would trigger a migraine. I've figured out a couple of things that work for me aside from slamming fluids before, during, *and after rides. (I'll get back to that asterisk)

I eat a banana and slam a recovery drink immediately after a ride. The other really important thing for me was keeping my sodium replenished. My sweat is super salty. Spoke briefly with Eric O at Tron's bday about sodium and finding the right drink for sodium intake and I've found that my mix of choice along with half a teaspoon of table salt per 28oz bottle works perfectly for me. I've done back to back 50 mile rides this weekend and yesterday was brutal hot but no cramping and no headache.

This may or may not be relevant for you but it works for me.

* I have a question for the punctuation police. Which of the following uses of the comma is correct?

I've figured out a couple of things that work for me aside from slamming fluids before, during, and after rides.

or

I've figured out a couple of things that work for me aside from slamming fluids before, during and after rides.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I need to do better. At least when it's this hot out and I've dealt with idiots at work for three days straight.

Puncuation: Both are acceptable.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Both are acceptable, but I prefer more commas. A long time ago it was more commas, but then typesetters used to charge per character and that was 1 way to save on characters. Lame.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
* I have a question for the punctuation police. Which of the following uses of the comma is correct?

I've figured out a couple of things that work for me aside from slamming fluids before, during, and after rides.

or

I've figured out a couple of things that work for me aside from slamming fluids before, during and after rides.

It's funny -- I distinctly remember this question coming up way back when I was in like the fifth grade because none of our teachers knew the answer. This girl in my class had asked the question and the teachers were all completely stumped -- the one who taught our English class went next door to ask the other teacher and she didn't know either. So they did what our teachers always did -- they ignored it and moved on. I ended up doing my own research on it (back in those days before Al Gore invented the internet there were these hard copies of Wikipedia called "libraries" where you could find things like this.) When I found out that both were acceptable (because there are actually surprisingly few real "rules" for English grammar), I mentioned it in class and the teacher got angry because she thought I was trying to be a smartass. This was typical of the methods by which the qualified educators of St. James Elementary shaped our young minds. I am only now beginning to think that my general lack of intelligence may not be due entirely to poor genetics and laziness.

soulchild

Puncuation: Both are acceptable.

Both are acceptable, but I prefer more commas. A long time ago it was more commas, but then typesetters used to charge per character and that was 1 way to save on characters. Lame.

Thanks gentlemen. I'm not sure how I feel about this though. There should a definitive ruling.

It's funny -- I distinctly remember this question coming up way back when I was in like the fifth grade because none of our teachers knew the answer. This girl in my class had asked the question and the teachers were all completely stumped -- the one who taught our English class went next door to ask the other teacher and she didn't know either. So they did what our teachers always did -- they ignored it and moved on. I ended up doing my own research on it (back in those days before Al Gore invented the internet there were these hard copies of Wikipedia called "libraries" where you could find things like this.) When I found out that both were acceptable (because there are actually surprisingly few real "rules" for English grammar), I mentioned it in class and the teacher got angry because she thought I was trying to be a smartass. This was typical of the methods by which the qualified educators of St. James Elementary shaped our young minds. I am only now beginning to think that my general lack of intelligence may not be due entirely to poor genetics and laziness.

Funny story!

I have always used the additional comma before 'and' because it just looks grammatically correct, without it looks lazy.

Sorry to hijack Pearl.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Ride with the homies out of the cave;
64810_10201426349757650_1019900676_n_zps3e976c23.jpg

0E7380C1-12A4-4B48-A14D-5B10A66560DD-18012-000012592DD7995C_zpsee1c4864.jpg

Starting at 6:30 was the right idea, still hot (3 bottles in 2 hours at a easy pace), but the fact that we never stopped pedaling once was swell.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
After my little spill, I wanted to cross reference this for old reads: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showpost.php?p=483516&postcount=269

Just went through my iPhone photos to see if I need to catch up on anything, but it looks like much hasn't happened since vacation in Welfleet; I've ridden everyday except one since July 29th gearing up for cross. Really falling in love with the Ridley I bought from Glenn.

Mandi has been doing an awesome job with the laundry and always providing me with clean cycling clothes.

I've ridden my mountain bike once since KVSP. Thankfully it was local with Mitch, Schilling, Woody and Iggy at CR. You cannot take that much time off from mountain biking, your skills will suck. Took a good 45 minutes to gather them back. Or your cross turning skills just take over :hmmm:

Wedding stuff is in full tilt. I think it's 10 days now? Crap. Looking forward to trying to not dance the whole time since I hate dancing. And the cruise the following week.

Top Bottom